PDA

View Full Version : van problem

oldish hippy
17-11-2013, 10:16
went out to start this morning wouldnt start battery flat ok lesuire battery down as well think that was my fault left control panel on hope i have not burnt out pump as it sounds like it was trying to pressure system battery on charge radio come up with error 1 ? so dont think it link to main batteryas it still lights up but dont have clue what eating battery power do have led light on when ignition is off ok the question is what size battery should it be amp wise it is citreon relay 2.5 diesel engine not had any problem up till now might be only short trip and not getting enough into battery anything else i should check or do ibite the bullet and get new battery as winter coming ok it bloody heavy enough it is out and on charge that took me long enough

battery was new in march according to paperwork i got with the van

Wooie1958
17-11-2013, 10:34
Where was the battery bought from ? Have you got the receipt ? Was it one of the Fast Fit places ?

If so take it to a local branch and get them to check it.

oldish hippy
17-11-2013, 10:38
no it was bought in swindon so not local to me well not that far fifty mile maybe less it just seems small in comparision to battery tray it 65 amp

Wooie1958
17-11-2013, 10:57
Euro Car Parts show that a 2.5 diesel should have at least a 88ah or upgrade to a 100ah battery

Car Battery | Quality Car Batteries for every type of car (http://www.eurocarparts.com/car-battery)

Even though they are the same company Car Parts 4 Less are a lot cheaper for the same battery

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/car-battery

Smaug
17-11-2013, 11:10
It takes about 20 mins of driving to put back into a battery the power that was used for starting. Obviously this is very "rule of thumb" and if you crank it for several seconds before it fires it may take longer, if it starts instantly maybe it uses less. But don't forget in winter you may have cylinder heaters coming on before it starts & possibly running lights/ wipers & screen heaters more than usual.

Most battery suppliers offer a 2-3 year warranty, worth a try to get a local branch of the supplier to check it for you, they may be prepared to replace it & may upgrade for a small extra cost.

Alf
17-11-2013, 11:36
I would think you want at least a 110a battery for a 2.5ltr mine is a 95a for. 2ltr anyway get the biggest you can fit on the battery tray. Better some more umph

Alf

whitevanwoman
17-11-2013, 11:37
Hi OH

Just had new battery in my van (2.4 Transit) - the recommended was 88 Amp but I went for 110 Amp to be on safe side and to allow me to occasionally use interior light for half an hour after long journey etc. It cost me 90 fitted - the battery is under the driver's seat and is a tricky job to do for someone who has never done it before so I felt it was worth the extra 15 to pay for fitting - it took him half an hour as he's used to doing it day it day out, it would probably taken me a lot longer.

I reckon a lot of my probs with my elecs (fast discharge, unexplained power drain etc) was because of a failing starter battery and now that it's new I can rebuild my wiring system step by step and therefore work out or eliminate where any problems are or what is causing them. I think part of the quick discharge was due to a permanently plugged in voltmeter which has quite a bright blue LED backlight - blue and green LEDs use more elec than red or amber and so even after just a couple of days, that was accounting for some of the drop - I've noticed quite a difference since I've unplugged it and now only use it occasionally to check voltage.

Also more and more elec gadgets have LED lights on them eg usb cigarette socket plugs often have a backlight and it's easy to leave this plugged in for a few days whilst parked up, memory on stereo etc. All little things but added up, they could amount to a significant discharge if the van isn't used for more than a few days.

Although I'm struggling financially I'm really glad I got the new battery as the peace of mind in knowing the van will start is priceless, and for the past few months I've had to try to run the engine every day if not driving anywhere, which has been both time consuming and consuming. Hopefully my new battery will mean I will now average a slightly higher mpg too as I won't need to run the van every day.

But definitely check out the warranty status on the existing battery - even if you have to drive to Swindon for a replacement it would still be cheaper than buying a new one and you could have a night or 2 away at the same time xxx

ricc
17-11-2013, 13:13
a good rule of thumb is to fit the biggest battery that will physically fit in. you can possibly get away with smaller if the van is being used all day every day.

with a van that may be left for a few days its worth checking that the power point is live with the ignition off and using a dash top solar panel whenever the van is parked. my 2.5 transit doesnt have any leccy problems but the difference in sound of the starter motor after a couple of days rest at this time of year is noticable , using the solar panal it just sounds that bit more eager to get up and go.

oldish hippy
17-11-2013, 13:25
well few things dont know if i left control panel on and the lesuire batery is taking some charge from main battery radio appears to run from lesuire battery and dont know if the fridge was left on 12 volts so there will be lttle charge going to both batterys as ididnt wire it in dont know how it is wired and not capable of getting underneath and looking and checking what is what do have some fuses on the control panel which iassume is the lights and the igniton for the water heater but also have fuses by the battery lesuire one and the radio has me well confused as the vechile fuse deadens the radio but with no battery {vechile} attached it still lights up so is the radio wired into both batterys and the one is feeding the other and the raidio doesnt work on ignition switch it can be turned on without key in igniton and does come on sometimes by itself when you go to start the van or sometime when you put light on or do something in the van like use ciggarette lighter socket but it is not all the time well weird

martyncc
17-11-2013, 13:32
normally if you get a red light on dash .. other than the flashing red of alarm on ..when ignition off is a diode gone in the alternator and the battery will discharge quite fast :cry:

Smaug
17-11-2013, 14:24
a good rule of thumb is to fit the biggest battery that will physically fit in. you can possibly get away with smaller if the van is being used all day every day.

with a van that may be left for a few days its worth checking that the power point is live with the ignition off and using a dash top solar panel whenever the van is parked. my 2.5 transit doesnt have any leccy problems but the difference in sound of the starter motor after a couple of days rest at this time of year is noticable , using the solar panal it just sounds that bit more eager to get up and go.

Yes, I have a tiny 10w solar panel (10-20 quid off e-bay or Maplins) that connects to the battery with croc clips on the van & boat which ensures I can always start them easily even after several weeks dormant in the winter.

witzend
17-11-2013, 21:12
Is the van charging even if the ign light is out there may not be enough current to keep the battery charged. Worth checking if the battery isn't very old

chrisinbrighton
17-11-2013, 21:19
I had a similar problem it was ok if I used it daily but always after 2 or 3 days standing it wouldn't start. in the end I found out the reversing camera which is one doubles up as a rear view mirror was switching its self on. Strange things happen sometimes but at least I found it out before buying a new battery

oldish hippy
18-11-2013, 17:09
well it back up and running have made sure that i turned off the unesscarry stuff in the van i had bit of a struggle getting it back in ok it done now run it up and round the block took it to the top of the hill where i used to live and it started first time need to give it a run to really charge it up thanks for suggestions

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS