PDA

View Full Version : ALGARVE OR BUST ..... Made it !

Pauljenny
18-11-2013, 14:52
We are down here at last ,after a hectic and extended UK summer living 6 months in our little Bentley .which is now parked up beside our cottage , emptied and having a well earned rest

Any green W bearers who are passing through the mysterious East Algarve , are welcome to give us a shout if there is anything interesting afoot .

Weather .... so-so

Food and drink prices ..... reasonable

Quality of life ....... OK

Deisel prices .... 1.26 at Ayamonte ...1.32 at Sao Bras Intermarche

(note : We don't like to brag,us Yorkshire folk .....The smug filter is fitted and working )

kenspain
18-11-2013, 14:57
You just till you get the snow we have had here my dear:lol-049::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

n brown
18-11-2013, 15:14
it did snow once on the Algarve while we were there,between Porte de Lagos and Odmeira,a short stretch of country road had about an inch of snow settled when we came across it. cars had pulled off the road and sat with hazards on and cops with red light batons were directing the traffic through it ! only lasted about an hour,but very exciting for the locals !

kenspain
18-11-2013, 15:45
We get silly locals stopping in the middle of the road taking photos of the mountains with all the snow on them :lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

Pauljenny
18-11-2013, 15:52
2006,I think it was .
The hills ,to our north, were covered in about 6 inches and the schools called any available buses to take the schoolkids up to have a touchy feel of the white stuff. They draw snowmen with wellies , on down here, as they know nothing of the techniques of building one .

Our 86 year old neighbour asked if we'd seen it ,but as our house faces south , we'd not looked . We asked her if she wanted a lift up for a shufti ..... "No ! I,ve seen snow ", she replied ....... " In 1961" !!

Thanks for the warning Ken , I'll make sure we have plenty of brandy in.

marydot
18-11-2013, 16:15
We will be setting off for 3 months in Albufiera on 2nd January, can't wait!:dance:

Just starting to get paperwork etc all nicely filed away so I don't panic that I've lost it. The All the Aires for Spain and Portugal arrived today. Waiting for the ACSI card and book to arrive next month. Need motorhome and car taxing before 31st December, house insurance will be due same time . . . . .

The list of things to do before we go gets longer and longer. Still takes the mind off the weather here a bit.

Marydot

Pauljenny
18-11-2013, 16:37
Don't forget to get a snowplough fitted ....

From what I hear you'll need it to get down the A1 ,never mind Northern Spain !

Good luck ,hope all goes to plan

maxi77
18-11-2013, 19:32
Currently en route in a campsite just outside Bordeaux should be there by next weekend. We did have a frost a couple of winters ago made a real mess of the banana plant outside our front door.

Pauljenny
19-11-2013, 19:42
Currently en route in a campsite just outside Bordeaux should be there by next weekend. We did have a frost a couple of winters ago made a real mess of the banana plant outside our front door.

Must be one of those eccentric millionaires !

Just about every one of the wine villages has a plot of spare land kept available for seasonal workers or passing travellers .

We were welcomed by the Mayor ,a few years back , who came back next morning to wish us bon voyage and ask if we had time for a "degustacion" at his vinyard .... Of course we said Oui ....Nothing wrong with a bit of Bordeaux,s finest to wash down the brekkie !

Are you coming down the Salamanca- Seville motorway ? Lovely quiet place to overnight if you take the Don Benito turnoff .South of Merida, and head for the Reservoir about 4km away . Look for a ramped takeoff to the right ,when you see a high ,pointy rock ahead. 3 hours to Castro Marine and civilisation

Hope your banana survives , it was 8C last night but warm and lovely when the wind dropped this morning

Siimplyloco
19-11-2013, 19:46
(note : We don't like to brag,us Yorkshire folk .....The smug filter is fitted and working )

Doesn't look like it at this end.....
John

Pauljenny
19-11-2013, 19:52
Doesn't look like it at this end.....
John

OOPS !

Forgot to turn it on !

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS