PDA

View Full Version : French motorway tolls. Plated weight or actual weight

Siimplyloco
18-11-2013, 19:33
Interesting question: Our Hymer is registered PLG, but is plated at 4600kg. It is 2.9m high. I could contact the DVLA and save a 100 odd per year on the VED and put it in the correct class i.e. Private HGV, or leave it- and the documentation - as it is.
However, irrespective of what we do, we are going 'sur le continent' after Christmas, and I wonder how we will be treated on the French motorways. It will go under the 3m height gauge and should be charged at Class 2, provided the camera doesn't read the plate! If it does, we are class 3. I suppose that only manual 'Manuel' would spot the difference: quite difficult as the plate is out of sight of the booth!
What has been others' experience?
I look forward to your interesting responses.
John
BTW. The recent MOT weighed it at only 3169 kg. Without Janette's clothes of course.....

Techno100
18-11-2013, 19:37
Class 2
Mine is over 3 metres with the sat dome and 4250kg I was still charged class 2 on all tolls staffed or unstaffed

mark61
18-11-2013, 19:44
I don't think you could argue if they did charge class 3 rates though.

Techno100
18-11-2013, 19:49
I don't think you will pay class 3 unless you are driving a commercial vehicle

Siimplyloco
18-11-2013, 19:49
I don't think you could argue if they did charge class 3 rates though.

I don't dispute that Mark: any vehicle over 3500kg is class three, under 3m or not. I was just establishing what other people get away with!
John

lebesset
18-11-2013, 19:53
if you look like an under 3.5 motorhome you will normally get away with it in france as 99% of motorhomes are under 3.5

wolvesamongus
18-11-2013, 19:54
I had my Mercedes 508D down plated from 4600 to 3.5 i was told at MOT that i had to change the plate on the van to 3.5 to comply with VOSA and DVLA mind i stay within the 3.5 limit so no problem.

Techno100
18-11-2013, 19:56
I was told that I'd be picked up by the sensors and charged class 3.
In practice this never happened despite being 3.29 metres with a 40cm dome.

mark61
18-11-2013, 19:58
I don't think you will pay class 3 unless you are driving a commercial vehicle

Yes, could be. Imagine the hold ups if they had to check GVW's.

Vehicle classification on french motorways - ASFA (http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm)

chrisinbrighton
18-11-2013, 20:01
one of these might help
Sanef Tolling - Eurotunnel Le Shuttle (http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/sanef-tolling/?utm_campaign=1305PB_Sanef_3367&utm_content=1104445469726&utm_medium=email&utm_source=eurotunnel_website)

Sky
18-11-2013, 20:02
I don't know the answer to your question I'm afraid, but I do know that by using motorways you will miss most of the beautiful French countryside and good scenery. :sad:

Personally, I avoid tolls and motorways like the plague, but I'm lucky in that I'm never in a rush to get anywhere anymore - I just enjoy being where I am (somewhere different every day or two is good for me). :)

For those of you that need to get south (or north) quickly, I can understand using the motorways I suppose, but if I was in a hurry I'd get the ferry and not drive - the cost normally works out about the same and I wouldn't be adding lots of 'unwanted' mileage to my van.

No help I know, but felt it need to be said - sorry . . . :offtopic:

Siimplyloco
18-11-2013, 20:02
Yes, could be. Imagine the hold ups if they had to check GVW's.

Vehicle classification on french motorways - ASFA (http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm)

That was part of my original question: the plated weight applies or the actual claimed weight?
John

Siimplyloco
18-11-2013, 20:06
Personally, I avoid tolls and motorways like the plague, but I'm lucky in that I'm never in a rush to get anywhere anymore - I just enjoy being where I am (somewhere different every day or two is good for me). :)
SNIP
No help I know, but felt it need to be said - sorry . . . :offtopic:

We are of the same mind. However, there are times when the Motorway is the obvious way to go - no pun intended- and I was curious as to how we would be treated.
John

mark61
18-11-2013, 20:42
That was part of my original question: the plated weight applies or the actual claimed weight?
John

I'd put money on plated weight. lol

Good question though, so many identical looking vans that that could be under or over 3500Kg plated weight.

Twin rear wheels on a Sprinter though is a giveaway though, lol, although some have been down rated to 3500Kg.

Seannachie
19-11-2013, 08:29
Interesting question: Our Hymer is registered PLG, but is plated at 4600kg. It is 2.9m high. I could contact the DVLA and save a 100 odd per year on the VED and put it in the correct class i.e. Private HGV, or leave it- and the documentation - as it is.
However, irrespective of what we do, we are going 'sur le continent' after Christmas, and I wonder how we will be treated on the French motorways. It will go under the 3m height gauge and should be charged at Class 2, provided the camera doesn't read the plate! If it does, we are class 3. I suppose that only manual 'Manuel' would spot the difference: quite difficult as the plate is out of sight of the booth!
What has been others' experience?
I look forward to your interesting responses.
John
BTW. The recent MOT weighed it at only 3169 kg. Without Janette's clothes of course.....

The French regulations state that charging is based on the vehicle's GVW (as shown on the vehicle's registration documents - which, by law, should be the same as on the vehicle's plate), so you should be charged Class 3 regardless of your vehicle's height, as your vehicle is plated at over 3,500 Kg. However, you will probably get away with a Class 2 toll, even though that is strictly incorrect.

shortcircuit
19-11-2013, 08:38
On the tolls we have used, both automatic and manned, we have been charged Class 2 and MH is 3850 kg, so there appears no rhyme or reason.

Seannachie
19-11-2013, 15:22
On the tolls we have used, both automatic and manned, we have been charged Class 2 and MH is 3850 kg, so there appears no rhyme or reason.

The regulations are absolutely clear, however, it is their implementation which is at fault. I used to have a similar situation, i.e. faulty implementation, when I took our old converted Merc T1 over the Dartford crossing in the UK. The regulations say motorhomes can cross for the same price as a private car but sometimes the cashier or the automated barrier wanted me to pay the higher rate applicable to vans because I had no side windows in my conversion. Naturally, I insisted on the regulations being applied and always crossed for the cheaper car rate. :D

Siimplyloco
19-11-2013, 15:39
Very helpful information, many thanks.
I've just worked out that even with full water tanks, I have a payload of nearly 1300kg!
That's a lot of wine for the return trip.......
John

mark61
19-11-2013, 15:47
I can't see how they can charge according to their regulations without manually checking the plated weight. I think they are just turning a blind eye at the moment. I don't know but it could be they have ANPR system for French registered vehicles.
I suppose in the whole scheme of things it's only relatively recently when light transporters have ventured past 3500Kg, well 20 odd years ago, lol, but then the French are a wee bit slow. :)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS