PDA

View Full Version : Wilding Greece

Belgian
30-03-2008, 18:07
Wild camping in Greece is a problem on the Islands. If you wild it in Crete then be prepared to go well inland to kip.
Crete Map (http://Crete Map)
You used to be able to Wild it at Plakias down the far end of the Beach from Meltemi Club but I expect that's not the case any more.
You could also Wild it down at Frankcastello - weird place to camp especially if one is a bit superstitious.
Paleohora in the far South West is another place where people tend to turn a blind eye.
I've generally found that as long as you eat in the local Tavernas and do your shopping and drinking locally that you will be OK.
There is a peculiar thing with the Islands: Some are considered "english" and others will be "german" or "swedish" or whatever. For example, Ios is considered to be a "scandinavian island" and the Brits generally feel uncomfortable there. I don't but that's just me. Brit families definitely don't like the place.
Mainland Greece is better for Wilding it in my experience.
Remember, out of sight-out of mind but if a Police tells you to move, just do it, don't even think about arguing because they can get very nasty if they want to.

baloothebear
30-03-2008, 18:15
Wild camping in Greece is a problem on the Islands. If you wild it in Crete then be prepared to go well inland to kip.
Crete Map (http://Crete Map)
You used to be able to Wild it at Plakias down the far end of the Beach from Meltemi Club but I expect that's not the case any more.
You could also Wild it down at Frankcastello - weird place to camp especially if one is a bit superstitious.
Paleohora in the far South West is another place where people tend to turn a blind eye.
I've generally found that as long as you eat in the local Tavernas and do your shopping and drinking locally that you will be OK.
There is a peculiar thing with the Islands: Some are considered "english" and others will be "german" or "swedish" or whatever. For example, Ios is considered to be a "scandinavian island" and the Brits generally feel uncomfortable there. I don't but that's just me. Brit families definitely don't like the place.
Mainland Greece is better for Wilding it in my experience.
Remember, out of sight-out of mind but if a Police tells you to move, just do it, don't even think about arguing because they can get very nasty if they want to.

This is the strangest thing: This is what I posted yesterday

grath
30-03-2008, 18:16

I thought it was groundhog day:eek::D

Belgian
30-03-2008, 18:22
Sorry Baloo, it's yours. I only pasted it under Greece. (hope you don't mind ?):D

baloothebear
31-03-2008, 06:42
Sorry Baloo, it's yours. I only pasted it under Greece. (hope you don't mind ?):D

Not in the slightest: I just thought that the senile dementia was kicking in a bit early that day :D
- and as for Grath's groundhogs running around snapping at everyone's ankles...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS