PDA

View Full Version : Speedos in Europe

Touringtheworld
20-11-2013, 21:00
I just don't 'get it' why males have to wear budgie smugglers in Europe - Not Me Not Ever in a million years plus Doris would disown me.

Does anyone know a genuine truthful reason?

GinaRon
20-11-2013, 21:14
I just don't 'get it' why males have to wear budgie smugglers in Europe - Not Me Not Ever in a million years plus Doris would disown me.

Does anyone know a genuine truthful reason?

Er what is a budgie smuggler? :idea:

hextal
20-11-2013, 21:16
Cos the water is warmer so the budgie isn't hibernating.:lol-053:

I think that unless you have the body of an Olympic athlete you just look a tool in em

Touringtheworld
20-11-2013, 21:19

Speedo swimming briefs

dr dave
20-11-2013, 21:20
And here was me thinking you were on about speedometers.

Smaug
20-11-2013, 21:22

Small briefs - swimming trunks as per the 1970's.

I have a couple of pairs I wear to wind up the teenage G-kids, the little G-kids don't care. Think of the Southern Comfort ad with the guy walking along the beach looking happy - he is wearing Speedos & is comfortable & happy.

Who gives toss what others think? Stressed & insecure people, that's who!

Tezza33
Swimming pools don't like shorts for health reasons, I don't know who it is unhealthy for but that is the reason I have been told

GinaRon
And here was me thinking you were on about speedometers.

So did I which is why I had to ask

El Veterano
20-11-2013, 21:31
If you hadn't guessed it already it's an Aussie term. As a frequent visitor I'm used to it, although I'm too sure it is used so widely these days, a bit like 'Bonza' something that is considered over there to be really old fashioned. But for the uninitiated: Australian slang term for men's tight-fitting Speedo-style swimwear. The 'lump in the front' apparently resembles a budgie when it is stuffed down the front of someone's shorts. Ah, those crazy Aussies!!:cool:

ricc
21-11-2013, 07:04
short answere is i wear them when id get earache (or arrested) if i didnt.

Caz
21-11-2013, 11:42
It's because long shorts type swimwear picks up and transfers all sorts of rubbish into the swimming pool - grass, dirt etc so the pools need cleaning more often.

Sharon the Cat
21-11-2013, 12:09
Sometimes we females can appreciate the view. Provided the budgie isn't obscured by beer gut.

torwood
21-11-2013, 14:28
It's because long shorts type swimwear picks up and transfers all sorts of rubbish into the swimming pool - grass, dirt etc so the pools need cleaning more often.
in France I asked and it is also because of water loss from the pool which adds significantly to running costs.

gaz2676
21-11-2013, 14:42
If you hadn't guessed it already it's an Aussie term. As a frequent visitor I'm used to it, although I'm too sure it is used so widely these days, a bit like 'Bonza' something that is considered over there to be really old fashioned. But for the uninitiated: Australian slang term for men's tight-fitting Speedo-style swimwear. The 'lump in the front' apparently resembles a budgie when it is stuffed down the front of someone's shorts. Ah, those crazy Aussies!!:cool:

ya would look a right charlie with a cockatwo or a peecock

n brown
21-11-2013, 14:45
I only wear my' parrot smugglers' when the wife fancies a good laugh. I feel a bit of a fool walking round asda,but if it keeps her happy....

lebesset
21-11-2013, 15:14
in France I asked and it is also because of water loss from the pool which adds significantly to running costs.
it's actually illegal to wear anything else in french swimming pools

invalid
21-11-2013, 15:41
Not wishing to come across as too xenophobic, I have always had my suspicions of the French, they keep informing us that their food is best, they are the greatest lovers, and they have a built in sense of fashion and style.
Holes in the ground as toilets.
France is the only country Iíve had an omelette burnt on both sides.
Now enforced Budgie smugglers in swimming pools.
Aar and I thought us Dartmoor folk were strange.

Cliffy
21-11-2013, 18:46
I think it is quite a sensible rule.
How would you feel if someone decided to the wash skid marks off their undies in the pool. That is what could be happening if someone has been wearing their long shorts (with or without undies) for the last couple of days then jumping in a nice clean warm chlorinated pool.

It is a similar rule to having to have a shower before entering the pool. No one seems to take any notice of that rule either.

Touringtheworld
21-11-2013, 22:29
Not wishing to come across as too xenophobic, I have always had my suspicions of the French, they keep informing us that their food is best, they are the greatest lovers, and they have a built in sense of fashion and style.
Holes in the ground as toilets.
France is the only country Iíve had an omelette burnt on both sides.
Now enforced Budgie smugglers in swimming pools.

............... funny that, Doris' thoughts exactly :-)

maxi77
22-11-2013, 07:26
Small briefs - swimming trunks as per the 1970's.

I have a couple of pairs I wear to wind up the teenage G-kids, the little G-kids don't care. Think of the Southern Comfort ad with the guy walking along the beach looking happy - he is wearing Speedos & is comfortable & happy.

Who gives toss what others think? Stressed & insecure people, that's who!

When I learnt to swim we had knitted swimming trunks and the arrival of the speedo type trunks was a great step forward. I must admit I hate those baggy short things with a fishing net inside and feel uncomfortable in the larger skin tight things so speedos it is for me

Harmergeddon
22-11-2013, 09:42
The only difference i find with speedos in europe is that they are km/h not mph. :lol-049:

Smaug
22-11-2013, 09:58
When I learnt to swim we had knitted swimming trunks and the arrival of the speedo type trunks was a great step forward. I must admit I hate those baggy short things with a fishing net inside and feel uncomfortable in the larger skin tight things so speedos it is for me

Oh my, that takes me back. And wow, didn't those things go baggy when wet! yeah, late 50's until about the late 70's they were the only thing to wear. Mind you, I like the idea of boxers, if only because I am happy to jump in the water with any pair of shorts I happen to be wearing - provided I've emptied the pockets of stuff first!

Tow Itch
22-11-2013, 13:45
You can wear budgie smugglers if you so desire but be very careful with the branded product.
I had the living **** kicked out of me by a group of parents when the s fell off my Speedo trunks!

mariesnowgoose
22-11-2013, 14:01
Tut!

Bad boys!!

This should be in off topic, not serious motorhoming section - you should all be horsewhipped! (can I watch?) :p :lol-053: ;)

We had seersucker swimming costumes when I was little and they were same as knitted - ended up around your knees! :D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS