PDA

View Full Version : Loud heater

frontslide
21-11-2013, 08:01
My Eberspacher D2 exhaust is really noisy when its firing up whats yours like?

n brown
21-11-2013, 08:06
I worked at Heathrow and it brings back memories! you can get silencers for them,but one theory I haven't tried is the noise is caused by the corrugations on the inlet pipe.pretty easy to test that one.i've changed my eber for a webasto which is a lot quieter

dave and mary
21-11-2013, 08:09
My Eberspacher D2 exhaust is really noisy when its firing up whats yours like?

In a word noisy, but I would not change it find it very good.

:drive: :drive:

Touringtheworld
21-11-2013, 08:29
...... Noisy but strangely very comforting

Smaug
21-11-2013, 08:47
What you have for a heater is basically a small model of the engine from a WW2 early Doodlebug. :idea-007:

You can fit exhaust silencers & lag the exhaust, but sometimes that heat is better inside the van than out . . .

When you have really silenced the exhaust you will be left with an intake roar, the distribution fan & the tick of the fuel pump. Or you could turn it off & freeze to death quietly. Plenty of choices really, they are great heaters, but they are not known for their silence.

n brown
21-11-2013, 10:32
apparently they 're quieter after a service

Siimplyloco
21-11-2013, 11:06

You want to try being moored up next to boat and their exhaust is right by your cabin window? Not pleasant!
I have a webasto Airtop 3500 which apparently doesn't annoy the neighbours. Mind you, we don't use it much moored where we are!
John

dave and mary
21-11-2013, 11:43

I must say when we first got our van it had stood more than being used, and the heater was a bit of a hit and miss thing but as you say we had it serviced and had a new fan fitted ( this was necessary because of lack of use they told us ) and when it starts it is noisy but soon quietens down when temperature is reached. The trick with them I think is not to keep changing the temperature dial, we have found a point and never touch it, and start it up every week and let it run for a while.

:drive: :drive:

frontslide
21-11-2013, 12:51
I don't mind the noise as it reminds me of Air shows and the summer! just wanted to make sure it was normal:cool:

FULL TIMER
21-11-2013, 14:24
AS already said you can get a silencer for the exhaust NEW EBERSPACHER HEATER EXHAUST SILENCER 24mm | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-EBERSPACHER-HEATER-EXHAUST-SILENCER-24mm-/321252926611?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipmen t_Accessories_SM&hash=item4acc2aa493) , but by far the best option is to also add a silencer to the combustion air intake Eberspacher Air Intake Silencer 201609800400 (http://www.pfjones.co.uk/eberspacher-air-intake-silencer-201609800400.html) this will really quieten things down.

QFour
21-11-2013, 14:40
Don't know why you lot always use Webasto or Eberspacher you would think they were the only heaters available. I fitted a Mikuni (http://www.mikuniheating.com/) blown air heater. It was brilliant. After sales is good and queries answered by well informed staff. Not the cheapest and not many about second hand which must say something but after I fitted mine to a boat you could not hear it. Unlike the roar from the boat at the side of us at 7am :mad2: Don't know how you put up with the noise especially when your trying to have a :sleep-027:

FULL TIMER
21-11-2013, 15:25
I agree they are excellent heaters been fitting the MY 30's for years, only problem we found with them is the gauze in the plug boss gets blocked up with carbon deposits with this you either have to catch them early and clean in an ultrasonic cleaner or if left to get to bad will cause the glowplug to short out at this point you need to replace the boss which is a total strip down where as the eberspacher D4 / D2 has a removable gauze just under the glowpin this is easily changed with out the need for heater removal and stripping out, first sign of this gauze called a plug strainer by eberspacher is heavy smoking on start up or failing to start within the set time, cost of part about a tenner whereas the mikuni plug boss was around fifty/sixty quid from memory plus the strip down and gaskets etc. despite this I have still kept a mikuni that I have reconditioned just in case my now old and well used eberspacher D5 packs up. I believe Mikuni also now do a 2kw unit especially for the motorhome market I had a leaflet about them a while back from Grass Routes Leisure who were selling them.

Alf
21-11-2013, 15:40
About 4vans back I fitted an extra exhaust and 500mm of exhaust pipe this quietened the noise somewhat as we changed vans I just removed and moved to the new van both the pipe and the exhaust unit are not cheap but you can reuse.

If you read the installation manual you note not many converters follow the instructions it's a question of fitting the heater in the only place the can and not many exhausts follow Eberspacher guidelines

Alf

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS