View Full Version : Hay on wye

iveco4x4
26-11-2013, 21:57
Main carpark in hay has this message on the parking boards

Interesting the way it is worded, quite clear, if a bit strange

I'll dig out the Lat/Long

POI Admin
26-11-2013, 22:14
Powys have a more enlightened attitude than most about their car parks.

Overnighting is permitted in their car parks, but only for one night a week at each - so basically you could return to the same car park a week later and stay another night, and so on ...

chrisinbrighton
26-11-2013, 22:14
Is is from the hay days or maybe it's the last straw

invalid
26-11-2013, 23:02
Yes good idea, have stayed in the car park and on the bluff, nice in Haw and around, plenty of places to wild without horn tooting.

shawbags
27-11-2013, 01:39
At least they give you one night and make it clear , there are probably plenty of other car parks you can move around to and as already said go back on the 8th day ,cheers Shawbags.

Dezi
27-11-2013, 07:08
Main carpark in hay has this message on the parking boards

Interesting the way it is worded, quite clear, if a bit strange

I'll dig out the Lat/Long

Itís all a matter of semantics my dear chap.

After all Hay on wye is after all the home of the World renowned Hay literary festival, so one would hardly expect a sign saying Bu**er off motor homes.

Would one?

Dezi

MORGANTHEMOON
27-11-2013, 07:24
There are many car parks you can overnight in Powys and the same rules apply, 1 night in 7 which I think is fair.
In Brecon town there is 6 car parks so you can hop from one to another if you wish to stay a few days.
Powys is a great place to tour and Hay on Wye is just one of those great places you can spend a day and night then move on to the next town.
There are many other places to stop over for free and of course the scenery is stunning.

Although the wording is in red extends to season ticket info this does not mean you can stay more than one night, but it does sound a little confusing.

mandrake
27-11-2013, 08:55
we stayed in brecon and got talking to a carpark attendant ,he told us that overnighting was perfectly ok ,and they turn a blind eye to a couple of nights .we even went as far as asking to park on the leasure center car park in bridgend and was told ok no probs just as long as we were away before the parking charge came into effect or we payed the ticket for the day/hour ,best of all they said better off parking near the police station .seems a lot of places down here dont seem to have any truck with overnighting provided you dont leave any mess

invalid
27-11-2013, 09:40
I am beginning to really like Hay and the Brecon. (I did my training on the Brecon in1970; I think it fell to -20 not nice tramping 40 miles a day in that.)
The only problem in hay is they are trying to make it a kindle free zone, how mad is that, thatís like refusing to use the mobile phone.
People are weird the whole World over, except you and me.

Sharon the Cat
27-11-2013, 10:45
I am beginning to really like Hay and the Brecon. (I did my training on the Brecon in1970; I think it fell to -20 not nice tramping 40 miles a day in that.)
The only problem in hay is they are trying to make it a kindle free zone, how mad is that, thatís like refusing to use the mobile phone.

Daft isn't it, as they host a literary festival. It's still literature even in an electronic format.

Nice town though and the area is beautiful.

kangooroo
27-11-2013, 11:05
There are many car parks you can overnight in Powys and the same rules apply, 1 night in 7 which I think is fair.

I think it's a good system and the 1 night in 7 is fair.

However, I've noticed a 'camp' set up in the corner of one of the Brecon car parks in the scheme which appears to have been occupied by 3 caravans, 2 cars, numerous gas bottles, trailing cables (and generator??) plus a large timber dog kennel set up behind the vans. I've not visited recently but on my last visit a month ago the 'camp' was still there and had been in situ for at least 6 weeks.

Does anyone know what's going on there?

MORGANTHEMOON
27-11-2013, 11:17
I think it's a good system and the 1 night in 7 is fair.

However, I've noticed a 'camp' set up in the corner of one of the Brecon car parks in the scheme which appears to have been occupied by 3 caravans, 2 cars, numerous gas bottles, trailing cables (and generator??) plus a large timber dog kennel set up behind the vans. I've not visited recently but on my last visit a month ago the 'camp' was still there and had been in situ for at least 6 weeks.

Does anyone know what's going on there?

Travellers Karen they've been there a while.
They don't book them for not having a daily ticket and they are parked in the corner I usually go.

kangooroo
27-11-2013, 11:24
That's what I thought.

I went to park there for a night in August and was met with flashing lights, waves and the group taking interest in my van. I grew uncomfortable with it all and left.

I hope they move on soon - it's a very good parking spot.

MORGANTHEMOON
27-11-2013, 11:26
That's what I thought.

I went to park there for a night in August and was met with flashing lights, waves and the group taking interest in my van. I grew uncomfortable with it all and left.

Yes we like it there also.

PinkFlowerPetal
27-11-2013, 15:39
That's what I thought.

Karen, use the Promenade Car Park instead, it's much nicer by the river, with beautiful views of Pen y Fan, and an easy walk into the town along the Prom.

Jackie

MORGANTHEMOON
27-11-2013, 15:53
Karen, use the Promenade Car Park instead, it's much nicer by the river, with beautiful views of Pen y Fan, and an easy walk into the town along the Prom.

Jackie

Yes lovely walk.

kangooroo
27-11-2013, 17:04
The Promenade - that's the spot I moved to!

It's much more scenic, very quiet (except in summer when it attracts the boy racers) and no disturbances. There are always a few dog walkers in the mornings but very few others.

iveco4x4
27-11-2013, 19:17
What a sensible lot the welsh - and they got around to banning the plastic carrier bag ages ago.

Good to know there are some elightened councils

OK i'm biased as at least half my blood is from the vale of neath and you can still hear it in my Mums voice after 50+ years in Leicester)

Rich

chrisinbrighton
27-11-2013, 19:25
The plastic sheep are not banned too are they ? That's the end of me going to Wales then !

hdeagle
27-11-2013, 22:35

As you will be aware Hay made it's name as a "Book town" You can hardly do that with shelves full of old Kindles.
Recently quite a few of the bookshops have closed down and been replaced with Ladies fashion shops and retro antique shops.
I think they see the growth of the Kindle as one of the reasons for this.

invalid
27-11-2013, 23:26
As you will be aware Hay made it's name as a "Book town" You can hardly do that with shelves full of old Kindles.
Recently quite a few of the bookshops have closed down and been replaced with Ladies fashion shops and retro antique shops.
I think they see the growth of the Kindle as one of the reasons for this.

People are not going to ignore modern technology to please shop keepers; it is unrealistic for the book shops to expect their customers to live in the past just to suit them, they need to embrace and work with new ideas same as the rest of us.
As is often said evolve or become extinct.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS