PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting the runaround from DVLA & VOSA

Siimplyloco
27-11-2013, 13:45
I mentioned that my newly acquired Hymer is plated at at 4600kg but registered at 3500kg. I enquired of DVLA and they referred me to VOSA. I've just received an email from VOSA referring me back to DVLA......
Civil Servants? A contradiction in terms indeed!
Anyone know the correct procedure to make this paperwork change only?
Thanks
John

Wooie1958
27-11-2013, 13:57
I ended up in this situation when my van was 12 months old and i came around to taxing it.

The dealer ( bless them ) when they registered it had put it in the wrong taxation class PLG instead of PHG.

12 weeks of arguing and trips to my local DVLA ( now closed ) and i finally got there.

What eventually sorted it was the " Certificate of Conformity " that had the proper weight on it and that is all they would accept.

I didn`t know i had it as it was tucked inside other documentation the ALKO Chassis service book.

It got quite heated at one stage when they told me i wasn`t allowed to drive it on the road until it had been sorted because i would be

" knowingly driving a vehicle on the public highway that had incorrect information registered with the DVLA and an incorrect V5 "

greenman
27-11-2013, 14:05
Should be a case of this then an ispection and it can be replated

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/details-of-notifiable-alterations-or-application-for-a-change-of-plated-details-of-a-goods-motor-vehicle

mark61
27-11-2013, 14:25
What a pain in the aris. I would have thought it was DVLA. Do you know what model vehicle your Hymer is based on. Name & numbers.

iveco4x4
27-11-2013, 19:22
Funnily enough I have exactly the same issue and neither department know what to do - several hours of being put backwards and forwards between the 2 departments

So I've given up for now , when I replate to the higher weight (higher than on the plate currently) then it should come out in the wash and svtech can do the work

Rich

iveco4x4
27-11-2013, 19:25
Should be a case of this then an ispection and it can be replated

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/details-of-notifiable-alterations-or-application-for-a-change-of-plated-details-of-a-goods-motor-vehicle

Problem with that is the plate is correct - its the v5 which is wrong and that what confuses VOSA so they say its a DVLA problem

Rich

madbluemad
27-11-2013, 19:41
I have a V5 this has the wrong vin number on it and the plated weight incorrectly recorded. This was after a DVLA inspection that I had to pay for. There's no way I'm contacting them again.

Seannachie
27-11-2013, 20:04
I have a V5 this has the wrong vin number on it and the plated weight incorrectly recorded. This was after a DVLA inspection that I had to pay for. There's no way I'm contacting them again.

I would counsel you to think again as a V5 with the wrong VIN and plated weight could cause you lots of problems in the future. If DVLA have inspected your vehicle (I thought it was down to VOSA to do that but correct me if I am wrong), and produced an incorrect V5 then it is down to them to fix at their expense. On second thoughts, even if VOSA is at fault, it is down to them to fix, at their expense. Either way, you have an obligation to point it out to the authorities and insist that they fix it, and at their expense, if indeed they were responsible for the errors, and they have an obligation to you to fix it.

Wooie1958
27-11-2013, 20:17

You have a V5 with the wrong VIN number on it and the Plated Weight is wrong and you`re doing nothing about it ......... are you for real ?

That needs sorting out straight away.

hippy travels
28-11-2013, 07:50

How old is the vehicle because this could be a big issue when the MOT comes round the vin number wont match up with the records VOSA hold and the vts system ?
John

ricc
28-11-2013, 08:23
How old is the vehicle because this could be a big issue when the MOT comes round the vin number wont match up with the records VOSA hold and the vts system ?
John

any sort of roadside check vin wont match the registration and it will be assumed its a stolen vehicle or a ringer. youll be lucky to get away without an impound and arrest and months to sort it out if you actually can..

if you had an accident and insurance notice the docs dont match the vin number on the wreckage you can guess how fast theyll run away.

youve got to be jumping up and down now to get it sorted.

madbluemad
29-11-2013, 14:08
This vehicle has been through six Mot's since the original error was made by the DVLA. The error was made by the DVLA in Bristol after they called it in for an inspection after I had imported it. I am well aware of the ramifications of my actions. My Insurance company have the correct VIN Number and the weight as stated on the V5.

I must admit to being a tad foolish in not getting it sorted before now and since the subject has come up again I will sort it forthwith. Thank you for your advice.

Siimplyloco
29-11-2013, 14:17
Well, I went to the Post Office with my V5. The idea was to get the PO man to change the tax class via his DVLA link, retax it at the PO, and surrender the old disc. He wasn't able to effect the change or tax the vehicle as PHGV: his computer wouldnt let him. He can change classes for cars, and change classes for HGVs, but not from one to the other! Ill just forget about until I come back next year.
John

wints
29-11-2013, 16:17
My Hymer 614 was plated at the Hymer factory at 3900 kg. The Alko plate said 4000 kg. The fiat plate was blank. The logbook said 3900 kg.
It suited me to upgrade to 4000 kg. So I got in touch with Alko uk quoting vin nos. etc and they confirmed 4000 kg was ok.

I photographed all the plates, and a page from the Alko book which confirmed that the chassis on my Hymer could be rated at 4000 kg.
I altered the bit of the logbook regarding the weight, then sent everything off to DVLA. I thought they might have wanted something from the likes of SVtech so I was pleased when DVLA sent me the revised logbook showing 4000 kg about 4 weeks later.

regards
Allen

Siimplyloco
29-11-2013, 16:23
That's very helpful Allen. When did this happen?
John

ricc
29-11-2013, 18:17
dont forget to keep copies of anything you send to dvla

off to teach grandma how to suck eggs now

wints
30-11-2013, 16:33
That's very helpful Allen. When did this happen?
John

Hi John.....approx 4 years ago. First off I went to local DVLA at Preston, youngster on desk didn't know what I was on about, a supervisor then said the only way you could alter the revenue weight was via a VOSA site! I'd read somewhere that that was not the case, but you can't argue with them. So that was the way I went..and it worked.

regards
Allen

Siimplyloco
30-11-2013, 16:40
Hi John.....approx 4 years ago. First off I went to local DVLA at Preston, youngster on desk didn't know what I was on about, a supervisor then said the only way you could alter the revenue weight was via a VOSA site! I'd read somewhere that that was not the case, but you can't argue with them. So that was the way I went..and it worked.

regards
Allen

Thanks Allen, I might just try it!
John

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS