PDA

View Full Version : Alternator belt help required

Bigpeetee
01-12-2013, 15:35
Stuck in Blackpool!! Didn't want to go in the first place!!

Last night, one of my batteries decided to pack up and one cell looks like it's gone short circuit.

This caused the others to discharge, although I isolated the offending battery, they were all very low in charge. This morning I started the engine and there was a screech and the belt died too!!

I'm parked up behind a motor factor in Cleveleys who have ordered a replacement, due 10:15 tomorrow.

It is on a Y reg Ducato 2.8 IDTD engine

Is it just a case of removing the engine plastics by the sump, slackening off the alternator, replacing, retensioning etc?? Do I need any special tools??

Pete 07979 508286

martyncc
01-12-2013, 15:47
Your not stuck ...you just got a new home for a few days ......sorry your not near Chester would give you a hand with it .Someone on here will have all the info you need ... Hope your van gets well soon :dance:

QFour
01-12-2013, 15:50
Found this hope it helps ..

It seems to go round a lot of pulleys . There are some other pictures showing which way it goes . Certainly not like the old mini . Slacken of alternator fit V belt . It looks straight forward enough especially if the old one is still on . Alternator is fixed with a tension wheel as a separate item .

Bigpeetee
01-12-2013, 15:52
Your not stuck ...you just got a new home for a few days ......sorry your not near Chester would give you a hand with it .Someone on here will have all the info you need ... Hope your van gets well soon :dance:

Yes a different view!! However it's not raining, I'm warm, got internet and there wasn't much to watch on the TV tonight anyway. Saving the battery rather than watch TV

invalid
01-12-2013, 16:00
Hi, sorry about your problem, I would get a piece of chalk and mark what side of the drive wheels the belt goes on, in the cold and restricted space itís simple to get it wrong.
All the best.

n brown
01-12-2013, 16:05
the shop will have a diagram of how the belt goes on their computer,they can print off or just sketch it

Bigpeetee
01-12-2013, 16:41
Thanks to all so far, do I need any special tools?

It looks very restricted access!!

terrywolf
01-12-2013, 17:27
you might need set of torx bits

terry

witzend
01-12-2013, 19:19
Thanks to all so far, do I need any special tools?

It looks very restricted access!!
You'll need a good spanner to hold tensioner pulley back when you fit the new belt the spring on it is quite powerful so you don't want it slipping.You'll need to fit belt in position then hold pulley back with one hand and position belt with the other.No slacking of alternator reqd.
If it seems difficult get it fitted it's only a 15 min job so shouldn't cost a lot

Bigpeetee
01-12-2013, 19:20
you might need set of torx bits

terry

Thanks, got a range of Torx with me, bet I haven't got the size needed!! But they are a motor factors/parts so will prob have necessary.

Bigpeetee
02-12-2013, 12:22
A big thanks to Andrew Curran, Motor Factors Andrew Curran l car parts blackpool l motor factors l cycles bikes bmx haro (http://www.andrewcurran.com/) in Cleveleys

Not only did they get the parts by 10am next day, but I used their carpark overnight & then to fix it.

Plenty of parts & accessories, just by Lidl near the sea wall.

My van has two belts, one for A/C the other for alternator/water pump. The alternator being the inside one.

Apart from the alternator adjuster and fixing bolts being difficult to get to it was relatively straight forward job. Trouble is, it's all accessible from underneath so had to jack up with wheel levelers under front wheels and pallets under the bodywork to support it if anything went wrong. I don't like working underneath a vehicle supported only on it's jack. I've seen too many accidents

So on way home, didn't fit the guard underneath as I'll have to re tension the belt soon, and I wanted to get away

Thanks for all your help

QFour
02-12-2013, 13:06
Glad you are all sorted ... :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Suntor 100
04-12-2013, 22:49
Not wishing to be a smart ass..... but the first thing I did when I got my suntor was to pack a spare belt with my tools as I was likely to be well away from a stockist. Good advice for all m/homers I think. Merry Christmas. :dance:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS