PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Outer Hebrides ????

Vanterrier
02-12-2013, 14:02
Yes I know where they are - :rolleyes: but where are they in the Scotland Forums ? I've been confused a few times by the Forum Groupings, some seem logical but others not ? so who divvied up Scotland this way and where have you put the Hebrides ? I see Stornaway under Ross-shire... is that it ?

Help-ma-boab ! (as oor Wullie would have said)

K ;)

Alf
02-12-2013, 14:42
You will find a few posts under Inverness-shire

Alf

Vanterrier
02-12-2013, 18:17
Western Isles ?

Where is that then Alf? My list goes from WestLothian/Linlithgow toWigtonshire with no Western Isles ???

Wassup ?

K

Alf
02-12-2013, 19:18
Look down this thread

Inverness-shire (http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/inverness-shire/)

Western Isles ?

Where is that then Alf? My list goes from WestLothian/Linlithgow toWigtonshire with no Western Isles ???

Wassup ?

K

trevskoda
02-12-2013, 20:39
further away than the iner ones

channa
02-12-2013, 20:44
further away than the iner ones you beat me to it

wineciccio
02-12-2013, 20:48
I thought every body knew?? they been moved to the OUTER HEBRIDES:lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

gid7
02-12-2013, 21:35
Well Lochmaddy is 33 odd miles in a straight line from here. :)

runnach
02-12-2013, 21:40
Islands are easy to find, once you head NW, when you reach coast, just keep going west. :goodluck:

sagart
03-12-2013, 07:53
People do seem to have a problem finding us.
One NHS. site lists a counsellor who lives in NW. Skye as living in Ross & Cromarty.

One possible way out, though more work for Phil would be a simplified version of the classification used by Calmac, who, after all, anyone travelling this way would use.
Winter timetables & fares (http://www.calmac.co.uk/timetables/calmac-winter-timetables.htm)

Vanterrier
04-12-2013, 21:34
I thought maybe Scotland had gone independent already and sold them off to pay their part of our national debt :) (waits for sassenach scorn response)

bloody hell you would need an A level in Geography to know to look in Inverness-shire for Uist? So why if Stornaway in Ross shire ? (or is it?)

I think I might go south next year ;)

K :hehe:

ps - how many of you urine-extractors on here have actually been ? I have and a number of times too... love the place... road to Huisinin is my personal favourite

runnach
04-12-2013, 22:12
I thought maybe Scotland had gone independent already and sold them off to pay their part of our national debt :) (waits for sassenach scorn response)

bloody hell you would need an A level in Geography to know to look in Inverness-shire for Uist? So why if Stornaway in Ross shire ? (or is it?)

I think I might go south next year ;)

K :hehe:

ps - how many of you urine-extractors on here have actually been ? I have and a number of times too... love the place... road to Huisinin is my personal favourite

Take more than the Hebs to pay off our debt, English one that is:lol-053:

We did full tour, bottom to top in last July, weather was brill. Road you mention, 14 mile from main drag, one hour, never again!!

sagart
05-12-2013, 08:19
Well Lochmaddy is 33 odd miles in a straight line from here. :)
The sat nav in my sons E series Mercedes agrees, except it does show a road running from Uig to Lochmadddy

Vanterrier
05-12-2013, 20:11
Take more than the Hebs to pay off our debt, English one that is:lol-053:

We did full tour, bottom to top in last July, weather was brill. Road you mention, 14 mile from main drag, one hour, never again!!

Looks like your van is bigger than our pcv... I can see how a longer and wider van might be more of a challenge but come on, fairs fair it is a fantastic road and the bay at the end with a carpark incl toilet block is a wild campers dream ! The road down the east side of Harris south of Tarbet was real nadgery... Have you been on it ? Tight!

I cannot wait to get back and still have a saved location on my sat nav named "nowhere" which is actually at the road end on the west side of Lewis and as far south as it goes. I sometimes press it in my favourites just to see how long it says it would take me to get there... Dream on...

K ;)

runnach
05-12-2013, 22:21
Looks like your van is bigger than our pcv... I can see how a longer and wider van might be more of a challenge but come on, fairs fair it is a fantastic road and the bay at the end with a carpark incl toilet block is a wild campers dream ! The road down the east side of Harris south of Tarbet was real nadgery... Have you been on it ? Tight!

I cannot wait to get back and still have a saved location on my sat nav named "nowhere" which is actually at the road end on the west side of Lewis and as far south as it goes. I sometimes press it in my favourites just to see how long it says it would take me to get there... Dream on...

K ;)

MH only 5.6 metre. Lets just say, the road was challenging and, there is no doubt, end of road is a dream, although the drive over to other parking area, is interesting, too. At points, I thought MH was going to fall over!!

We did not do east side route, can imagine though, a very challenging route!

As for "nowhere", I may have been there, what are the co-ords?

Cheers.........

mygrassisblue
05-12-2013, 22:45
I am going up there next week for my brothers surprise 60th and we are going to try hushinish in our new 22 ft van.
Was a doddle in the T4 last year but still took an hour and worth it when you come over the last hill - like finding Brigadoon.
I was born and lived in Stornoway for 21 years and we used to go to all these beaches every weekend and think nothing off it.
I was blown away last year when we went round the island and I wonder why I ever left - work of course worst luck.
BTW when you reach nowhere and walk 5 miles over the hills you come to what was probably the best Salmon river in the world at Hamnaway.
There was so much the locals used to feed it to the cows!
Don

Vanterrier
07-03-2014, 14:14
MH only 5.6 metre. Lets just say, the road was challenging and, there is no doubt, end of road is a dream, although the drive over to other parking area, is interesting, too. At points, I thought MH was going to fall over!!

We did not do east side route, can imagine though, a very challenging route!

As for "nowhere", I may have been there, what are the co-ords?

Cheers.........

Sorry mate... just re-read this and noticed your question... the middle of no-where (or more like the edge of it) is 58.097522,-7.104755...

pretty good place to park overnight as well

gonna take another look sometime this year as I have now RETIRED --- Woo Hoo !!!

K :king:

runnach
07-03-2014, 17:42
Hi,

Looks a great spot, so remote, the google motor hasnae been here and, unfortunately, we had a quick drive through Harris due to rain conditions!

Nice one on retiring, keep us posted on location if you do return, pics would be fantastic!

Cheers.......

Vanterrier
07-03-2014, 21:37
I have pics from the last visit... I'll try and figure out how to post them on here but will probably just add a link to flickr for you to go take a look...

K

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS