PDA

View Full Version : Faroe Islands

Goaskalys
02-12-2013, 16:47
Hi there just wondering if any of you travellers would have any advice as to how to get to the Faroe Islands for the solar eclipse in March 2015. There used to be a ferry run by Smyril Line ferries that ran from northern Scotland, but they have been discontinued. So how can I get my camper out there without having to go to Norway?

johnmac185
02-12-2013, 17:59
Hi there just wondering if any of you travellers would have any advice as to how to get to the Faroe Islands for the solar eclipse in March 2015. There used to be a ferry run by Smyril Line ferries that ran from northern Scotland, but they have been discontinued. So how can I get my camper out there without having to go to Norway?

Hi Goaskalys
there is a sailing from Leith Docks in Edinburgh,,don't know the schedule,,
try this site,,,Cruises | Cruise Holidays 2013 & 2014 | Iglucruises.com (http://www.iglucruise.com/)
John

winks
02-12-2013, 18:53
I want to go to Iceland and looked into it with Smyril Line and found, just as you have, they don't sail from Scrabster anymore.

After talking to someone on Harris who had been to Iceland a few times with his VW van it seems the way to go is as deck cargo. Now, just what that would involve in terms of insurance and cost I have no idea, but if you really want to do it there's one option you may not have thought about.

Good Luck

jakekelly
03-12-2013, 10:08
I want to go to Iceland and looked into it with Smyril Line and found, just as you have, they don't sail from Scrabster anymore.

After talking to someone on Harris who had been to Iceland a few times with his VW van it seems the way to go is as deck cargo. Now, just what that would involve in terms of insurance and cost I have no idea, but if you really want to do it there's one option you may not have thought about.

Good Luck

there's not a lot of roads in Faero islands, deck cargo in the winter is definately not to be recomended!! ,better off fly there via denmark & hire a car & stay in hotel ,there is no cheap way I can assure you ! been there working & got the big wooly jersey & hat and windburn! to match! there is not a lot to see ,birds (featherd kind), some spectacular cliffs, if your* lucky*?, a Grundebo, a whale hunt which is not for the faint hearted!& do not go with your greenpeace hat on ,you'll end up in the fiord for sure. have fun ,ps better off either in the hebrides or north scotland for viewing:boat::scared::plane::wave:

Goaskalys
04-12-2013, 15:52
Hi Goaskalys
there is a sailing from Leith Docks in Edinburgh,,don't know the schedule,,
try this site,,,Cruises | Cruise Holidays 2013 & 2014 | Iglucruises.com (http://www.iglucruise.com/)
John

Thanks John, I phoned IGLU Cruises. They don't take vehicles they only run cruises. But thanks anyway. Martin

Goaskalys
04-12-2013, 15:57
there's not a lot of roads in Faero islands, deck cargo in the winter is definately not to be recomended!! ,better off fly there via denmark & hire a car & stay in hotel ,there is no cheap way I can assure you ! been there working & got the big wooly jersey & hat and windburn! to match! there is not a lot to see ,birds (featherd kind), some spectacular cliffs, if your* lucky*?, a Grundebo, a whale hunt which is not for the faint hearted!& do not go with your greenpeace hat on ,you'll end up in the fiord for sure. have fun ,ps better off either in the hebrides or north scotland for viewing:boat::scared::plane::wave:

Thanks Jakekelly, I think your right about the deck cargo in the wilds of march North sea!
The total eclipse is only seen from the Faroe Island, sadly, you only get a partial eclipse from Scotland or the Hebrides.

I have a mate who's offered to fly his plane up, but you know what it's like when you have a camper, I just want to use it. Thanks anyway, Martin

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS