PDA

View Full Version : It's over by Dover

Touringtheworld
02-12-2013, 22:46
Start of a little trundle through France to Lake Garda up to Austria then Germany finishing at Valkenburg.

Which of course is Ace :-)

zipnolan
03-12-2013, 03:27
Start of a little trundle through France to Lake Garda up to Austria then Germany finishing at Valkenburg.

good luck Guten fahrt !

snowbirds
03-12-2013, 12:19
Hi Touringtheworld,

Sounds like a great trip. We had a trip the other way about two years ago,we travelled through Belgium down the Rhine to lake Constance through Austria to save the Swiss tolls and down to the bottom of lake Garda,then across to Venice back to Milan and then down to Pisa.good luck.

Snowbirds.:dance:

Touringtheworld
03-12-2013, 18:19
Just settled into a free electric aire near the Mont Blanc Tunnel - snow and everything :-)

Touringtheworld
04-12-2013, 15:49
Having our tea looking at Lake Garda - not sure if I like Italy. To be continued.

mark61
04-12-2013, 16:03
Really, why not? I think that area is great.

Frances
04-12-2013, 16:08
I can't imagine how anyone could not like Lake Garda and Italy. Is the weather really bad?

carol
04-12-2013, 16:11
Enjoy! Very envious! :)

Touringtheworld
04-12-2013, 18:34
..... No, I should clarify - Mont Blanc tunnel 148 euros - fuel 1.79 euros a litre - lpg/gpl 1.20 euros a litre - really struggled to get water, had to use the watering can and a 50 meter walk. The Truma (or should I say trauma) is playing up. The shower has sprung a leak into the van. To top it all off a policeman knocked on the door, spoke Italian but the jist of it was he wanted our passport details and charged us 24.50 euros for the pleasure, we did get an official receipt which was nice. I have absolutely no idea what it was all about.
Today has been an expensive day.

I am not sure I like Italy :-)

mark61
04-12-2013, 19:26
..... No, I should clarify - Mont Blanc tunnel 148 euros - fuel 1.79 euros a litre - lpg/gpl 1.20 euros a litre - really struggled to get water, had to use the watering can and a 50 meter walk. The Truma (or should I say trauma) is playing up. The shower has sprung a leak into the van. To top it all off a policeman knocked on the door, spoke Italian but the jist of it was he wanted our passport details and charged us 24.50 euros for the pleasure, we did get an official receipt which was nice. I have absolutely no idea what it was all about.

Oh, see what you mean.

Blimey, never realised MB tunnel was that much, just as well I've always missed it.

Still stunning scenery, and the drive to Austria is great as well.

wineciccio
04-12-2013, 19:32
Just asking a simple question, I'm Italian and wish to know if that policeman had a number on his shirt and did you by any chance see any sort of badge, I'm asking because although I have lived for 44 years years in England. I had lets call it a sort of meeting with not one but 2 so called officers, this was this year in Chioggia near Venice, they were asking for money ie a fine for parking my motorhome on a road approaching the campsite, we stopped to get bread, as the conversation went on they realised I was Italian and I was at that point raising the volume of my vocabulary, they got on their push bikes and disappeared, a local called the real police on my behalf, and I just had to explain to them what actually took place, apparently they had been after this two individuals for a while but could not catch them red handed, they were NOT COPS at all, but 2 unemployed guys trying to make a living out of duping tourist for money by false penalties/fines etc.:dog:

Touringtheworld
05-12-2013, 16:14
Ok spoke to an Italian lady this morning. It was a caution for crossing a solid white line in the village and the 24.5 euro is for administration of the caution.

Oh well never mind ..........

....... I'm in Austria now and it's superb, think I am going to like Austria :-)

Touringtheworld
05-12-2013, 16:59
Oh dear - parked up in a cracking stellplatz and the bar is 20 meters away - god damn :-)

....... The goulash is some of the best I have tasted for quite some time - the beer is having a good tasting session as well.

mark61
05-12-2013, 17:35
The Austrians do make good Goulash. :)

Where in Austria are you.

Touringtheworld
05-12-2013, 17:43
Hall - 47.172, 11.300

phillybarbour
05-12-2013, 18:17
Sounds like a very exciting trip, enjoy.

Touringtheworld
06-12-2013, 11:46
...... Cracking 3 course menu of the day in Hall town centre 6.90 euro each. Christmas market at 3pm - it is genuinely non touristy and very welcoming

horshamjack
06-12-2013, 12:29
We are so envious ..enjoy your trip and be lucky :nicethread:

Touringtheworld
07-12-2013, 06:15
....... pot of tea and Germany here we come pet :-)

snowbirds
07-12-2013, 09:51
Hi Touringtheworld.

I avoided Mont Blanc tunnel having read a lot on web Blog's about the cost. It may be further by Austria and the Fern Pass with Vignette's in Austria at 8 euros its a lot cheaper and the views are great travelling down to Lake Garda. Only real problem I found in Italy after being robbed when my tyre was slashed at a supermarket is we are top targets for robbery out there.I liked Italy but will probably never return because of the low life and the country's lack of interest in the safety of it's visitors.I only stayed on camp sites after the event but did notice large steel gates used by the site's and the night guards.They could have been to keep us in,but more lightly to keep the animals out.

Snowbirds.

Touringtheworld
07-12-2013, 15:24
Hi Snowbirds,

Doris said the same - not going back.

Stunning scenery from Austria to Germany.

4 attempts at a stellplatz before finding a little beauty just north of Stuttgart.

One shut, one a cow yard with zero facilities, one where the locals seemed to have an issue with us, the van or campers in general we just rolled on to this charmer.

Immaculate wet room with toilet, shower, heating the whole nine yards. Fresh water, grey waste & chemical dump, electric, 5 minutes walk into town/village centre, 5 euros for one night or 8 euros for two nights.

I have paid a lot more for a lot worse.

Doris was getting anxious but is fully pacified now.

Thank The Lord - It was looking crap for a while - phew :-)

Touringtheworld
08-12-2013, 12:28
In Valkenburg - got a good feeling about this - here until Thursday meeting up with some buddies.

Sat in a cafe bar enjoying a alcoholic beverage or two - the first since Austria which of course is wonderful.

........ and Doris has got a shawl which she assures me is a unique item not available anywhere else on the planet.

That's what I say about beverage of the alcoholic kind - it's unique in every pub :-)

........ Doris has just informed me she has spotted some boots - also unique ..... Bugger :-)

Touringtheworld
10-12-2013, 06:50
Going to Cologne today to check whether there are anymore unique items to consider.

Touringtheworld
10-12-2013, 13:38
....... As it turns out - yes there is :-I

Touringtheworld
11-12-2013, 19:26
...... Home 2373 miles, 7 countries, 1 coat, 2 pairs of boots and 3 scarves.

I got a crewcab VW pickup - nearly can't see it on the mantlepiece.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS