PDA

View Full Version : Do your nuts......

Touringtheworld
02-12-2013, 22:55
On the way to Dover we had a bit of a serious moment - I thought the diff had gone with a terrible grinding/clunking trip over type noise.

THE WHEEL NUTS WERE LOOSE, the near side rear was proper wobbling.

I was with the tyre fitter when he torqued them all up. Their invoice states - check and retighten wheel nuts after 50 miles - this was 44 miles.

I nearly kak a pooed my pants.

Suffice to say it added 3 hours to our journey.

It's the first time this has happened to me in nearly 40 years of (lots of) driving.

PLEASE CHECK YOURS - IT COULD SAVE A LOT TIME AND UNDERWEAR.

Touringtheworld
02-12-2013, 23:14
..... We have stopped more times than the number 9 bus to check then re check them.

.... Can't wait for the cream tea on the ferry :-)

Dezi
03-12-2013, 07:22
I tend to check my nuts every time I leave the house these days !!!

Dezi :goodnight:

ivecotrucker
03-12-2013, 10:43
Highly unusual after only 44 miles in my experience; could be some other factor here. Do you smear grease over outside face of brake drum or over inside of wheel hub to prevent the two rusting together ?.

mandrake
03-12-2013, 11:03
i had an indecent something similar a few years back with my bedford van .we were out for the weekend and noticed a slight creaking noise from the rear ,slowly it worsened until there was a loud clonking at the rear.in the end i had the van recovered home ,i changed the center prop shaft bearing as there seemed lots of movement in it ,70 quid cost .took the van for a test run and noise still present .drove home and eventually found rear wheel nuts lose couldent see the nuts as the van had chrome hub caps .i had the van for a year at the time and the rear wheels had never been removed by myself worst thing was the wheels and nuts/studs are hard to source for a bedford cf

Tbear
03-12-2013, 12:16
i had an indecent something similar a few years back with my bedford van .we were out for the weekend and noticed a slight creaking noise from the rear ,slowly it worsened until there was a loud clonking at the rear.in the end i had the van recovered home ,i changed the center prop shaft bearing as there seemed lots of movement in it ,70 quid cost .took the van for a test run and noise still present .drove home and eventually found rear wheel nuts lose couldent see the nuts as the van had chrome hub caps .i had the van for a year at the time and the rear wheels had never been removed by myself worst thing was the wheels and nuts/studs are hard to source for a bedford cf

Hi Mandrake

You been checking you nuts in public again :)

Richard

Touringtheworld
03-12-2013, 18:24
Ivecotrucker.

Not me but tyre fitter copper greased as you describe.

Every time we stop - I'm out with the wheel brace whilst Doris brews.

No further issues - fingers crossed, wind in the right direction. :-)

RoaminRog
03-12-2013, 19:52
You were pretty lucky that you didn't elongate the boltholes in your wheel, that would have meant a new wheel.

Regards Rog

mandrake
03-12-2013, 20:11
Hi Mandrake

You been checking you nuts in public again :)

Richard

oops given it away

Tezza33
03-12-2013, 21:01
You were pretty lucky that you didn't elongate the boltholes in your wheel, that would have meant a new wheel.

Regards Rog
That happened to me, Iveco Daily so twin wheels single axle, had new tyres fitted and set off around the South of France, been away for a few Months but then hit the pavement in Cap D'Agde, pulled over and saw a bulge on the outside tyre, Saturday evening and we had to get to Lake Geneva so thought no problem, we will buy a socket on the way and put the spare wheel on, we drove over mountain passes with a knock on the back that got worse as the day went on so it wasn't a relaxing journey, my Wife said "it sounds like the wheel is loose", don't be stupid I replied, Monday morning arrives and we see a Hypermarket so I bought a socket, jacked the van up and the wheels were loose when I put the socket on, I could have changed the wheel and tightened it with pliers and it would have been safer, both wheels on that side were scrap, the bolt holes were oblong so had to be changed but obviously waited until we arrived home and I never told my Wife she was right

mandrake
03-12-2013, 21:33

i am going gar gar my post should read i had an incident not indecent WHAT i:giggle: MUST KEEP TAKING THE PILLS OR UP THE DOSAGE what a loon:danger:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS