PDA

View Full Version : Rear Air Suspension

TheCoggins
03-12-2013, 13:52
Hello

Has anyone fitted themselves or had fitted rear air suspension?

We are considering fitting a scooter rack and it has been recommended by the supplier to fit air suspension assisters to assist with rear suspension load & help stability.
We have been quoted between 299 to 650 DIY fit.
Can anyone advise?
Thanks
Adrian

ivecotrucker
03-12-2013, 13:55
Hi Cogginses. Never used air assist but don't forget to work out total load incl scooter x distance from rear axle centre & compare to your GVW limit. Plus weight of air suspension gubbins.

David & Ann
03-12-2013, 13:58
I have had rear air rides fitted. It is really good. Makes driving more comfortable, improves taking bends and round-a-bouts. Also okay when there are high winds. It cost me then approx: 400. Make sure you keep the fittings they remove in case you change your MH. I would get them done.

Wooie1958
03-12-2013, 15:04
I had Air Suspension fitted by these 2 years back now and i`m more than happy to recommend them :- Search Results (http://www.as-airsuspension.co.uk/)

My van is on the ALKO Chassis and always sat a little low and was lower on one side due to all the furniture, kitchen, etc. being on one side.

By having a slightly higher pressure on the low side it evened it up as well as lifting the rear end a good 3 inch.

I don`t ground out going on and off Ferries any more as i just raise the pressure to the maximum from the controls fitted in the dash.

I lower the pressure back down to 3 & 3.5 Bar when we get off the Ferry.

It is much more stable on corners and roundabouts and large vehicles don`t affect it at all when they pass now on motorways.

Mine wasn`t cheap because of the ALKO Chassis but standard Air Suspension is about 500 cheaper fitted or you can DIY fit.

If you ring them Cath or Phil are very helpful and will answer any question you have.

Hope this helps.

oldish hippy
03-12-2013, 16:54
there was a tutorial done on this if you search for it think it was techno100 who did it http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-knowledge-base/16640-dunlop-air-suspension-fitting-made-easy-guide.html

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-knowledge-base/19941-retro-fitting-air-suspension-units.html and another one camew with a search

Tezza33
03-12-2013, 17:56
I fitted them on my Iveco Daily years ago, it isn't a difficult job if you can wield a set of spanners but it is worth paying to have them done if you are not capable, as others have said it doesn't increase your axle load rating but it does make travelling at full load safer, the ride is better, cornering is improved, even that pull you get when an Artic overtakes you is reduced a lot, I would fit them on my Hymer but being a tight ba$***d when I saw some 'Mad Progressive Springs (http://mad-suspension.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=1&product_id=73)' in Brownhill's Accessory Store one Month after picking my van up, they were in a large metal basket with a sign on saying 'reduced', the box was damaged and a couple of bolts missing but priced at 80 I snatched them before somebody else did, I was told off by the other half saying "why do we need extra springs after paying so much money for the van" but they have been superb, air suspension is adjustable and these are not but apart from that these have been great, I think all Motorhomes should have auxiliary air suspension fitted as standard as well

onion
03-12-2013, 18:31
I seem to remember a problem with air suspension with a full load on ,if at the time of fitting u don't get the load sensor adjusted u will,finned u have very little brakes at the back, as the sensor thinks there is no wight on the vehicle & will give little pressure to the rear wheels , this will only be felt on steep down gradient & under load

Tezza33
03-12-2013, 18:50
I seem to remember a problem with air suspension with a full load on ,if at the time of fitting u don't get the load sensor adjusted u will,finned u have very little brakes at the back, as the sensor thinks there is no wight on the vehicle & will give little pressure to the rear wheels , this will only be felt on steep down gradient & under loadGood point if you fit your own because the load sensor will not move because your suspension doesn't sag, if you have it fitted professionally they will adjust your load sensor to suit, if you fit your own it is very easy to adjust

Siimplyloco
03-12-2013, 19:10
Reading this thread has prompted me to think about air suspension as I've just fitted a scooter rack. However, following a bit of research it appears that because I have a payload of 1323kg and twin back wheels to take that payload, the fitting of air suspension units might be somewhat superfluous! I haven't driven with the scooter on the back yet, but up to now I haven't detected any roll or bump problems.
Any thoughts?
John

zildjian
03-12-2013, 19:34
I have them on a hilux for my demountable camper, all the comments so far seem about right,
the LSV however I've never noticed any lack of brakes on any of the three pick-ups fitted out this way so far,

I was told once to unhook the compression link spring (between axle/chassis to correct this anomaly, but in fact even under heavy braking and with camper of about 900KG loaded on back
it makes not one jot of difference
perhaps someone with experience to the contrary could advise.

anyway, retain the bumpstops to refit when you sell vehicle.

Tezza33
03-12-2013, 19:45
Reading this thread has prompted me to think about air suspension as I've just fitted a scooter rack. However, following a bit of research it appears that because I have a payload of 1323kg and twin back wheels to take that payload, the fitting of air suspension units might be somewhat superfluous! I haven't driven with the scooter on the back yet, but up to now I haven't detected any roll or bump problems.
Any thoughts?
JohnThe suspension on a Motorhome is usually working at full capacity, because you have twin axles you are lucky and your van is designed to have that payload but 'normal' vans suspension is based on a Ducato that is fully loaded for half the day but empty the rest of it so totally different to a Motorhome that spends all day fully loaded, you would have no problems with the scooter but air suspension will always make it better in my opinion and never superfluous

Wooie1958
03-12-2013, 19:47
Any thoughts?
John

You said a short while back that your van is registered at 3,500 Kgs ? Was it downplated from 4,600 Kgs by a previous owner ?

If that is the case then there is no way you have 1323 Kg payload and you need to look at your figures again.

onion
03-12-2013, 19:48
I have them on a hilux for my demountable camper, all the comments so far seem about right,
the LSV however I've never noticed any lack of brakes on any of the three pick-ups fitted out this way so far,

I was told once to unhook the compression link spring (between axle/chassis to correct this anomaly, but in fact even under heavy braking and with camper of about 900KG loaded on back
it makes not one jot of difference
perhaps someone with experience to the contrary could advise.

anyway, retain the bumpstops to refit when you sell vehicle.
If u don't need air suspension don't fit it , as I said about the rear brake compensator it can cos problems even when when adjusted for air sus it will be putting a full brake application to the rear wheels even when the van is empty costing the rear wheels to possibly lock

Rod
03-12-2013, 19:51
If you fit air suspension can you use it to help level the motorhome by adjusting the pressure on either side or lift the back up.

Thanks

Rod

Siimplyloco
03-12-2013, 19:52
You said a short while back that your van is registered at 3,500 Kgs ? Was it downplated from 4,600 Kgs by a previous owner ?

If that is the case then there is no way you have 1323 Kg payload and you need to look at your figures again.

I can assure you that the vehicle is wrongly registered, and is plated at 4600kg, hence my recent thread on the subject of correcting the V5. Perhaps you missed that one?
John

Wooie1958
03-12-2013, 20:05
I can assure you that the vehicle is wrongly registered, and is plated at 4600kg, hence my recent thread on the subject of correcting the V5. Perhaps you missed that one?
John

I didn`t miss that one as i answered you first in Post 2 and mentioned the Certificate of Conformity.

Just don`t get caught running over 3,500 Kgs if that`s what it`s still registered at because you`ll have an awful lot of explaining to do.

Tezza33
03-12-2013, 20:33
If you fit air suspension can you use it to help level the motorhome by adjusting the pressure on either side or lift the back up.

Thanks

RodWhile you are parked you can usually adjust either side to lift or lower unless they are linked (not normal) so yes you could adjust the pressure, I used to do this on mine but remember to put them back when you drive off

Rod
04-12-2013, 20:55
While you are parked you can usually adjust either side to lift or lower unless they are linked (not normal) so yes you could adjust the pressure, I used to do this on mine but remember to put them back when you drive off

Thanks

Beemer
05-12-2013, 00:50

Thanks

Rod

i had air suspension on my last m/h, which had a 2 metre overhang at the rear. Brownhills told me that I cannot use the air to 'level' the m/h when parked ...what a load of bull! I used it on many an occasion, with no ill effect, just remember to balance the air load before to move off again.

TheCoggins
05-12-2013, 07:14
Thank you all for your responses it has been very helpful to hear from you guys. Oldish Hippy's link was great, thanks to you.
Everything I have read on Air suspension has been positive so I will go ahead and fit.
Adrian:cheers:

flyinghigh
05-12-2013, 11:33
I fitted air suspension to my Renault master with a alko chassis, it took a bit of effort because of the rear calipers and handbrake levers got in the way of the swinging arm bracket, but with a bit of fetterling it works very well, no more swaying when being passed by coaches and a softer ride with less noise as a bonus,
If you have ABS then you don't have a load proportion valve so nothing to worry about as far as rear brakes locking,
I consider the cost and effort money well spent, I am much more relaxed after a long journey than I was before fitting it,

flyinghigh
05-12-2013, 13:17
No I couldn't afford that!
It's a Europa and only took seven years to build, but the best fun you can have with your clothes on:lol-053:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS