PDA

View Full Version : Newhaven -Diepe crossing if your over 60!!!!!

pochaie
03-12-2013, 17:14
Just booked a crossing for next week and if your over 60 you get 20% off including cabin if you need one. You have to ring DFDS direct. This was available with Transmanche ferries and i was not sure if DFDS would be carrying this offer on . Single crossing was 55 for my globecar. You can use the new bridge at Rouen and therefore miss the roadworks...

Rodeo
03-12-2013, 20:11
I was thinking about this route to try to dodge Rouen! I'll look into it right away,thanks for the heads up mate!

wee red bistro
03-12-2013, 20:58
Hi, so you have a Globecar - how do you find it? I just got one in September. Really like the layout but have had a few minor hassles with the dealer. Interesting info on the Dieppe route - cheers.

vindiboy
03-12-2013, 21:12
Session Ended (http://www.aferry.co.uk/ferrysearch/resultsAsync.aspx) I have just been looking at Newhaven Dieppe too, I have done this crossing in the past , bit of a hassle drive to Newhaven from Southampton but a good Aire at Dieppe on the Harbour.

ronste
04-12-2013, 04:07
Thanks for that .

pochaie
04-12-2013, 08:30
Hi, so you have a Globecar - how do you find it? I just got one in September. Really like the layout but have had a few minor hassles with the dealer. Interesting info on the Dieppe route - cheers.

tried to message you but unable to send, The Globecar is a great car and the dealer i use now is in France as the one in Portsmouth was useless!!!!

Rodeo
04-12-2013, 16:22
Not doubting pochaie,but wanted to find out more detail,so I phoned dfds today and apparently the over 60's offer is for all of next year,but only on the Newhaven Dieppe route.Seems a good deal to me! I then spoke to Brittany ferries,to see if they have any offers for next summer,or maybe tempted to match the dfds deal? but no luck! All they said was that the earlier you book,the cheaper it is! Ferry availability seems to be dropping as folks book for next year. Still cant make up my mind!

ronste
04-12-2013, 18:35
Been looking in to this and think I will book for January instead of going to Dover .

Will be traveling from Scotland anyone know any wild camping spots around Newhaven

Rodeo
04-12-2013, 19:58
So at the risk of being called an idiot (go on then ,I dont care:banana:) after I already asked about this on 'the other' thread, wheres the new bridge at Rouen,and what route is taken from Dieppe to get round Rouen to go through Le Mans?

Edward B
05-12-2013, 06:43
Been looking in to this and think I will book for January instead of going to Dover .

Will be traveling from Scotland anyone know any wild camping spots around Newhaven

We did this last year from Scotland too.Found it good, saving lots of driving as opposed to dover Calais. We slept at OU Seaford 2 on POI's. No problems at all. Only 5 mins from ferry.

pochaie
05-12-2013, 06:57
Not doubting pochaie,but wanted to find out more detail,so I phoned dfds today and apparently the over 60's offer is for all of next year,but only on the Newhaven Dieppe route.Seems a good deal to me! I then spoke to Brittany ferries,to see if they have any offers for next summer,or maybe tempted to match the dfds deal? but no luck! All they said was that the earlier you book,the cheaper it is! Ferry availability seems to be dropping as folks book for next year. Still cant make up my mind!

Sorry, should have said it was for the Newhaven-Diepe crossing only...

pochaie
05-12-2013, 07:10
So at the risk of being called an idiot (go on then ,I dont care:banana:) after I already asked about this on 'the other' thread, wheres the new bridge at Rouen,and what route is taken from Dieppe to get round Rouen to go through Le Mans?

drive straight down from Dieppe and just follow signs for Le Mans you will come across the bridge as you come down the hill towards Rouen on your right Sign says Caen as well i think... stay over place in Uk .......try Arundel about an 1 hour from Newhaven but a beautiful town indeed, park on the road to Swanbourne lake and at the end off the road there is a pub on the river, The Black Rabbit. the road is quiet even at the town end and is a dead end so not much traffic. Well recommended.

slipper
05-12-2013, 11:39
Ronste
This October we found ourselves in Newhaven at 9.00pm instead of Portsmouth due to a strike at Le Havre closing the port.
We tried the large car park on the front right by the port but it had height barriers fitted. However right beside this car park was a pub called The Hope Inn with a large car park. I went in and asked the landlady if it was ok to sleep the night there, no problem she said, very very welcoming, we had a couple of pints and spent a peaceful night.
Just dont be surprised when a ferry goes past about 10 feet from your bed.

Mr Slip

ronste
05-12-2013, 15:17
Thanks slipper , any poi beside a pub suits me just fine

Ronnie

wee red bistro
05-12-2013, 22:09
tried to message you but unable to send, The Globecar is a great car and the dealer i use now is in France as the one in Portsmouth was useless!!!!

Don't know if messaging works as I'm not a full member. Where in France is dealer? We cross regularly, usually to Le Havre.

Rodeo
07-12-2013, 14:50
Newhaven /Dieppe will get us further into France than the Tunnel will,therefore saving time and about 15 worth of fuel saved on the outward journey..

John Thompson
07-12-2013, 21:25
drive straight down from Dieppe and just follow signs for Le Mans you will come across the bridge as you come down the hill towards Rouen on your right Sign says Caen as well i think... .

Is this the bridge that has been closed for repairs for the past year? The Queen Matilde, I believe. We have been going via Le Havre to avoid the detour in Rouen. It will make our journey home a lot easier if so.
Joan.

pochaie
08-12-2013, 06:24
The new bridge has not been closed and as off 2 weeks ago the road works are still going

John Thompson
09-12-2013, 05:54
drive straight down from Dieppe and just follow signs for Le Mans you will come across the bridge as you come down the hill towards Rouen on your right Sign says Caen as well i think.

Can you give us the road numbers please.

We got caught out last spring in Rouen. Our satnav just went blank just before we got into the road works and we were left totally reliant on road signs which were of no help at all. It was then we found the bridge was closed, but no suggested route just "Road Barree" sign. We got ourselves sorted out and as we left Rouen the satnav began to show a map again. That satnav then became very hit and miss and lost its memory.

We now have a new one but gave Rouen a wide berth on the way down by using the Tancerville Bridge. We overnighted near the bridge at St Nicholas de la Taille on the Aire.

phillybarbour
09-12-2013, 06:15
Good tip if your over 60, I'm not but thanks for trying to help.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS