PDA

View Full Version : Insurance warning and heads up for you all.

Pilotewanderers
04-12-2013, 15:40
I have just spent three days on the phone finding out who we were insured with back in 2008. Yup 2008, as a windscreen replacement job has turned out to be a complete bodge and the current insurer has said not unreasonably nothing to do with us maty it's the responsibility of the insurer at the time.

So my caution to you all is this: DO NOT THROW OUT ANY DOCUMENTS for the vehicle you have. Great grief will ensue if you do.

By exercising my talents for cajoling and browbeating I have managed to identify the installer and the insurer but it has taken more hours than I care to think of listing to "hold music" a misnomer if ever there were.

Sods law says that if you toss it out you will need it again. Lesson learnt the hard way here so save yourselves a LOT of grief. KEEP it ALL until you move the vehicle on.

Be Warned

PH

Kontiki
04-12-2013, 18:09
I had to have my windscreen replaced on my Rapido A class. It had been repaired by auto glass by the previous owner, their warranty only covers the owner at the time. The resin they put in the chip was coming out, nobody would do a second repair so it had to be a new windscreen. In all it took about two & a half months to get it done, the first screen arrived broken (so I was told) when they did come they broke down on the way & didn't arrive until much later than they said. It took them about 4 hours to get the old screen out then fit the new one, the next day I noticed water on the dashboard (we had a real downpour at night) so they had to come back the next day to seal it.

I am not likely to forget the company that did it as I had to ring them numerous times to find out what's happening. What goes & happens a couple of weeks ago a stone hit the window & I now have a chip again in almost the same place as the original chip.

phillybarbour
05-12-2013, 18:10
Hope you get it sorted.

Davy
07-12-2013, 13:40
I had a chip in the windscreen and the insurance company wanted to put in a new windscreen but the vehicle was 9 years old so I didn't want to disturb the seals. I had no confidence that the replacement would come with new seals.
After much arguement, managed to convince the insurance company to go with a resin repair. Four years later it is beginning to erode out.
So dont know which is worse - leaks or repatching needed.

Pilotewanderers
13-12-2013, 08:21
Heard from Autoglass this morning that the insurer is paying for the complete replacement with a brand new window. No excess to pay by us they are paying for the LOT! Some 1500

WHEW..........

PW

MORGANTHEMOON
13-12-2013, 12:22
Heard from Autoglass this morning that the insurer is paying for the complete replacement with a brand new window. No excess to pay by us they are paying for the LOT! Some 1500

WHEW..........

PW

Result!
The trouble is it's normally a battle to get them to cough up.

Kontiki
13-12-2013, 12:40
I had a chip in the windscreen and the insurance company wanted to put in a new windscreen but the vehicle was 9 years old so I didn't want to disturb the seals. I had no confidence that the replacement would come with new seals.
After much arguement, managed to convince the insurance company to go with a resin repair. Four years later it is beginning to erode out.
So dont know which is worse - leaks or repatching needed.

The resin was coming out damaging the wiper blade, I thought they could remove the old resin & replace it. I was told it is not possible & the windscreen might crack, nobody I called was prepared to try to do a second repair. If you used Auto glass they gaurentee the repair for life providing you keep the vehicle. I wonder what happens then do they attempt another repair or do they replace the windscreen at their cost??

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS