PDA

View Full Version : Signature Dishes: your favourites?

Siimplyloco
05-12-2013, 17:17
Looks like I should have put this off topic! and I can't delete it.
Oh well.

Who really loves cooking? I certainly do. My signature dish for many years whilst touring was Chicken Kiev, revelling in the explosion of garlic butter when the first incision was made! Nowadays I'm seriously into Chinese cooking,: beef with peppers with lots of five spice powder, ginger and garlic. We bought a portable induction hob, and a wok from IKEA designed for one, and have never looked back. I'm using it here in Benicassim.
I'd be interested to hear about your favourite dishes.
John

Siimplyloco
05-12-2013, 18:25
That's the beauty of the induction hob: you can get the bottom of the wok to glow red if you want!
John

n brown
05-12-2013, 18:36
I just had a beautiful beef curry with Bombay spuds and basmati rice. tomorrow i'll make a dozen or so steak and kidney pies.simple stuff but bought pies always disappoint me,and why should I buy a curry when i can enjoy making one as good. I also believe a properly cooked Full English is a lot harder to achieve than most people think and takes a certain amount of skill to get right

Mastodon
05-12-2013, 19:08
Currently noshing egg banjo with Mayo and curry ketchup.

Tezza33
05-12-2013, 19:36
I don't have a signature dish as such but having lived in South Africa and been taught by Afrikaners I can cook anything on a barbecue, it doesn't matter what it is or how thick I can cook it if you tell me how you want it, I also have a portable induction hob and would recommend one to anybody who uses EHU, I make a tiramisu which is pretty good and if we go to a party I am asked to bring it (they usually say don't bother to come without it:o) but to be honest I just love cooking outside

wineciccio
05-12-2013, 21:57
Well, I'm Italian and well enough said!!

Siimplyloco
05-12-2013, 22:00
Well, I'm Italian and well enough said!!

Agreed. The French, as much as I love them, don't like to admit that their cuisine is largely based on yours!
John

Sharon the Cat
06-12-2013, 04:16
No motorhome signature dish yet.
Our hay box cooker will be a duvet box cooker later today, with some sort of chicken & squashkin Thai curry-ish all in one in it later today.

Hughman
06-12-2013, 08:00
Stewed animal in wine with veg - one pot, dead easy. Bird or animal, in pieces; brown in a little oil, add chopped onions, garlic; fry a bit longer; add herbs (herbes de Provence is a handy mix), peeled and cut up potatoes, carrots, W.H.Y., a generous amount of wine, red or white depending on your taste and/or the animal's, salt and pepper; cover and simmer on very low until done (1-2 hours depending on age and type of animal).

It doesn't hurt to wash it down with more wine :D

Sharon the Cat
06-12-2013, 09:03
Stewed animal in wine with veg - one pot, dead easy. Bird or animal, in pieces; brown in a little oil, add chopped onions, garlic; fry a bit longer; add herbs (herbes de Provence is a handy mix), peeled and cut up potatoes, carrots, W.H.Y., a generous amount of wine, red or white depending on your taste and/or the animal's, salt and pepper; cover and simmer on very low until done (1-2 hours depending on age and type of animal).

It doesn't hurt to wash it down with more wine :D

My kinda recipe, plenty of room for manoeuvre or innovation.

kimbowbill
06-12-2013, 09:39
Oxtail stew with pigs feet, cow heel, leg beef, ox liver, slow cooked all day, served the next with turnip and tatty mash, and crispy suet dumplings mmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum yum makes fantastic gravy, i do loads so i always have a stock in freezer.

Sharon the Cat
06-12-2013, 09:40
Oxtail stew with pigs feet, cow heel, leg beef, ox liver, slow cooked all day, served the next with turnip and tatty mash, and crispy suet dumplings mmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum yum makes fantastic gravy, i do loads so i always have a stock in freezer.

Sounds like an accident on the way to the knackers yard.
But tasty too.

kimbowbill
06-12-2013, 09:49
Sounds like an accident on the way to the knackers yard.
But tasty too.

lol, lol, lol, yeah it does, but its gorgeous, i would hate any of the famous chef's to do it cos like everything else, they then ruin a good cheap meal. when you find out what is used in some of the frozen crap, think you will find most are eating pigs feet, arseholes and all the offal anyway.

I used to get lamb shanks, pigs feet, pigs cheek and beef bones free from my local butchers, but now cos some top chef showed how to do it and promoted it, pigs feet are £1 each, lol, i know thats not alot but no one used to want them, but they make fantastic gravy, what do you think makes the jelly in pork pies?

boiled beef bones and marrow bone makes the most amazing beef stock

noarlunga
06-12-2013, 10:08
We bought a Moroccan Tagline to use on our recent wander around Spain and France. Local meat rubbed with ras el hanout spice, a pile of chopped veg, whatever was cheap on the markets, cup of water, dash of wine, then cook on a low light while drinking the rest of the wine. Add potatoes or serve with cous cous or rice. As a previous poster said, infinitely variable, one pot if not doing rice etc.

Firefox
06-12-2013, 10:57
Anyne who has dabbled a bit in Eastern cooking I'd urge them to try Thai.

Chilli, basil, coriander, lemon grass, ginger, coconut & salty fish sauce make a wonderful palette of lavours to work with.

john t
08-12-2013, 05:32
Beef stew, with dumplins........say no more.!

jt

marydot
08-12-2013, 17:39
Beef stew, with dumplins........say no more.!

jt

My kind of meal!!:tongue:

Also enjoy corned beef hash, made with diced boiled potatoes rather than mash, well fried onions and cubes of corned beef. Serve with a fried egg and some baked beans.

Usually fill the freezer in our m/h with home made chilli, spag bol, shepherd's pie, savoury mince etc, so that we have a few meals ready to eat, if nothing local catches our eye, or if we are going to be away from shops.

Marydot

Ange
08-12-2013, 19:53
My signiture camper dish is 'slop & .... '
So we have bit of variation it's either slop & chips, slop & new potatoes or slop & rice.
The slop bit can be mince & onion or curry or what could be described as stew.
My 15yr son says nobody does 'slop' like me! :tongue:

Siimplyloco
08-12-2013, 19:56
My kind of meal!!:tongue:

Usually fill the freezer in our m/h with home made chilli, spag bol, shepherd's pie, savoury mince etc,

Marydot

Gosh, you have a bigger freezer than us, Gunga Din!
jOHN

marydot
09-12-2013, 17:19
Gosh, you have a bigger freezer than us, Gunga Din!
jOHN

We do indeed have a tall fridge freezer, which has a shelf inside the freezer. A 1 litre ice cream tub makes a good size container for us and I can easily fit in half a dozen of them. Also use small rectangular containers for frozen peas, sweet corn etc.

Marydot

Jimhunterj4
09-12-2013, 19:10
My specialty is a Hungarian goulash with a twist, use 1kg pork shoulder and 1kg of onions. Hot paprika pepper and salt, garlic 100 ml cream tbsp parsley...... Delish

Older Gurna
10-12-2013, 17:40
Stewed animal in wine with veg -

LOL!
...Would seriously LUV to see this printed on a Resturant Menu!!!

invalid
10-12-2013, 18:31
And now for the vegetarianís, Stuffed mushrooms with a blue cheese sauce, the mushrooms are stuffed with cream cheese and pine kernels, egged and covered with bread crumbs, then fried in a wok with oil till crispy, yum yum.

iveco4x4
10-12-2013, 19:48
Moroccan Tagine - cooked on the bush pig braai , photo is competitive tagine cooking at adventure overland 2013 :)

Mad Manx
10-12-2013, 20:19
Motor home food fried spam fried potato cakes x2 and a tin of baked beans with a knob of butter over the top

Sharon the Cat
11-12-2013, 07:48
Last weekend we took a chicken, squashkin, potato & pepper Thai curryish thing in the hay box cooker (stuffed with old duvet rather than hay this time).
We ate that on the Friday night & then re-heated it on the hob for lunch with pasta on the way home on Sunday.
Lay-by lunch :tongue:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS