PDA

View Full Version : Long ferry to Spain - Frozen food?

Kontiki
05-12-2013, 17:22
I assume that you can't have your fridge on, so is it possible to take frozen food on this route? Currently we are only considering the trip down & haven't decided if we will return that way or take the short crossing home so it won't be a problem going as we take very little with us but coming home we often have the freezer full.

Tezza33
05-12-2013, 17:38
I have once asked if I could plug into electric and they let me, a long time ago though because I only travel Dover -Calais these days and do what David said, leave it on gas

Shockingdog
05-12-2013, 17:46
I assume that you can't have your fridge on, so is it possible to take frozen food on this route? Currently we are only considering the trip down & haven't decided if we will return that way or take the short crossing home so it won't be a problem going as we take very little with us but coming home we often have the freezer full.

Have had frozen food in the freezer section of the fridge on the long ferry without any problems with all power and gas turned off.On the way down to the boat we turned the fridge down to its coldest setting and found that if the door is not opened everything is still frozen OK. Just make sure you remember to put the 12v electric back on when you embark off the boat. (Put a post-it note on your steering wheel) On our return trip nobody checked the gas bottles were off so we left the gas on !!

Cliffy
05-12-2013, 19:02
Copied from "Passenger Obligations" in Brittany Ferries terms and conditions of carriage.

(iii) Dangerous Goods and Firearms
You must not bring dangerous goods, firearms or knives on board, on your person, or in your luggage unless you have obtained written permission from us and possess legal authorisation. Dangerous goods must be declared at the time of booking and can only be transported in a vehicle, therefore are not permitted in the case of a foot passenger. If you are unsure about whether or not goods are dangerous then you must contact us in advance otherwise we may refuse you entry to the ship, without any liability on our part. The transport of petrol cans is specifically forbidden. A maximum of 3 x 15kg gas cylinders may be carried, the cylinders must be switched off during the voyage.

Every time you book a crossing you accept these conditions.

Cliffy
05-12-2013, 19:43
People use mobile phones whilst driving and they have never seen a sign saying they are not allowed to.

Some people abuse the rules on Aires and get the the motorhoming community in general a bad reputation.

Some people accept the rules others flout them.

Everyone abiding by accepted norms and the rules of the society lived in, is what makes it a civilised society.

Pauljenny
05-12-2013, 19:55
People use mobile phones whilst driving and they have never seen a sign saying they are not allowed to.

Some people abuse the rules on Aires and get the the motorhoming community in general a bad reputation.

Some people accept the rules others flout them.

Everyone abiding by accepted norms and the rules of the society lived in, is what makes it a civilised society.

I'm a very tolerant person .

I have all the time in the world who is at least 75% as perfect as wot I am !

Pauljenny
05-12-2013, 20:02
Apologies for the last post . I pressed the wrong button !

I have all the time in the world for anbody who is at least 75% as perfect as wot I are !

Let that be clear .:lol-053:

witzend
05-12-2013, 20:17
I have been asked several times by security staff at the Brittany Ferries check in Is Your Gas OFF and I am happy to ensure it is for my and everyone elese safety to risk a leakage in a confined space is very Dangerous and surely common sense to do your best to help avoid it

vindiboy
05-12-2013, 20:55
I. Needed a new clutch fitted in Portugal on. One of our trips and the van was in the garage for three nights, the fridge was off as I did not wantit on hook up. As I worry about the electrics if the engine is started whilst on hook up.I know there are supposed to be relays to protect the electrics in this event but I prefer to be safe not sorry,any way our fridge was full of frozen food and chilled food.When we got the van back the freezer was still frozen because it was not opened and the chilled food was good, so a short trip on the ferries even to Santader won,t be a problem.

Tezza33
05-12-2013, 21:12
How would starting the van while on EHU be a problem?

wineciccio
05-12-2013, 21:51
I wonder about all the members on here whether they leave the gas on as well when they are filling up at petrol stations?? If so then I'm afraid they must be more stupid and untroubled to the safety of others. I do not wish to brag but I have had all sorts of campers and motorhomes since 1974, and the first thing that an old friend told me was "think safety" especially with young children on board But then I think we have people in this country that go and get themselves a motorhome, go over to France once or twice and they think they have seen it and done it all. And think they are a cut above you if they drive something bigger than yours. :mad1:

runnach
05-12-2013, 22:35
Me either, I better not mention, I also, at times, carry oxy-acetylene bottles :D

Kontiki
06-12-2013, 06:29
I recall that I have asked if my gas was turned off when boarding a ferry, as we normally use the tunnel they usually check. It would be easy enough to turn it back on again but I never would, I think it wise to have the gas turned off when you are in the enclosed space of a car deck. While you can be reasonably certain that your gas system is safe what if there are potential inflammable fumes from other vehicles, maybe a small risk but there none the less.

I once started a motorhome while on hook up & the battery exploded under the bonnet, I always make sure the power is off now but think that the modern electrics would prevent this.

Frances
06-12-2013, 08:48
We turn the gas off and the food stays frozen. As well as considering safety I also like to save money whenever I can.

vindiboy
06-12-2013, 09:32
How would starting the van while on EHU be a problem? It wont so long as all the relays that protect the van.,from two sources of charging
Are working as they should be, IE the mains charger and the alternator but if one isn,t working or disconected as it could be if the mechanics are tampering with the van you wold have a problem and blow the electronics, it can,t happen I hear some say well I agree,it won,t happen to my van as I ensure that the engine is never started if the hook up is on.

PossumGoose
06-12-2013, 11:23
Every trip I have made recently I've been asked to confirm gas is off at the bottle. Just a thought, why do you need to take freezers full of food on holidays? They do sell food in Spain . . .

Tezza33
06-12-2013, 12:24
It wont so long as all the relays that protect the van.,from two sources of charging
Are working as they should be, IE the mains charger and the alternator but if one isn,t working or disconected as it could be if the mechanics are tampering with the van you wold have a problem and blow the electronics, it can,t happen I hear some say well I agree,it won,t happen to my van as I ensure that the engine is never started if the hook up is on.
I would have not been on EHU as well if they were changing the clutch because they would have disconnected the battery but I have never worried about starting mine or any vehicle I have worked on and never had a problem

jann
06-12-2013, 14:17
We always turn the gas off . When travelling to France, the food stays frozen if the freezer is full. When going to Spain, we leave certain items in the fridge that are OK if cool . Then stock up when we get there. It is part of the holiday to buy the local food

witzend
06-12-2013, 14:59
What difference does it make which way he's going your still advising him its OK to break the rules

just jane
06-12-2013, 15:31
It doesn't really matter which ferry they were asked on, it shows that there is a possible risk.

To satisfy your curiosity however I was asked if mine was off the only time I crossed with Brittany ferries.

mark61
06-12-2013, 16:36
I don't recall ever being asked, on loads of crossings. Only on the tunnel have I been asked. I do turn my gas off though, fridge doesn't use it. :)

witzend
06-12-2013, 20:39
You appear to be the only one getting touchy and personal and from reading your past posts on other threads you usually seem to resort to that when reason fails

You've admitted to breaking the rules and putting innocent lives at risk think of the poor animals dogs etc left in their cars vans etc with no way to escape when your van causes a explosion. Maybe some one will make Brittany Ferries aware of this thread now so they can take some positive action

mark61
07-12-2013, 08:54
I imagine the risk is if there is a petrol motor near by with a petrol leak, or even worse ten petrol cars with leaks. Perhaps it's the petrol motors they should ban. :)

Tbear
07-12-2013, 09:10
As in my blissful ignorance, I have no idea whether the container next to me is full of Semtex or Cell Phones it seems sensible to simple take advise from the ferry company. If the sign was to say no naked flames, I would turn off the fridge. If it said turn off the gas then like a good little sheep, that is just what I would do. What is the point in thinking you know better than the ferry company. They are not going to tell you about the hazards they are carrying, be it bombs or dangerous chemicals. I for one am happy with my paranoia and to do as I am told.

Richard

Frances
07-12-2013, 09:20
I too comply with whatever safety rules the ferry companies ask me to abide by. I am horrified to think that some people do not. What they do with their own lives is their business but when they take a risk with mine then I do not find it the least bit amusing.

Should I ever travel on a ferry with someone whom I know has blatently broken the rules then I will most likely make it my business to report them to the ferry company.

Tbear
07-12-2013, 10:07
I don't know David, I am sure you could stir us up a war if you put your mind too it :)

Richard

antiquesam
07-12-2013, 11:12
I'm in danger of being accused of hi-jacking the topic here but how on earth can a perfectly sensible and simple question from someone turn into a slanging match?:confused:

kimbowbill
07-12-2013, 11:15
You appear to be the only one getting touchy and personal and from reading your past posts on other threads you usually seem to resort to that when reason fails

You've admitted to breaking the rules and putting innocent lives at risk think of the poor animals dogs etc left in their cars vans etc with no way to escape when your van causes a explosion. Maybe some one will make Brittany Ferries aware of this thread now so they can take some positive action

Nice post witzend, when i went to France, the police made me open my locker and check gas was off, which it was BTW, rules are put in place for a reason, its not H&S gone mad, which reminds me, i must dash off to purchase my high voltage window grid for my car, so i can zap any human that decides to peer their head in, on route i will have some laminated signs made to remind humans not to peer into my car, as it seems this is quite normal behaviour.

kimbowbill
07-12-2013, 11:19
I'm in danger of being accused of hi-jacking the topic here but how on earth can a perfectly sensible and simple question from someone turn into a slanging match?:confused:

Can you not see the perpetrator? it happens in most where "it" doesn't agree, think its something to do with arrogance and, "i'm considerably clever and richer than you" sort of attitude that upsets ordinary decent folk on here.

antiquesam
07-12-2013, 11:25
I couldn't possibly comment.

Tbear
07-12-2013, 12:58
No, he just adds a bit of seasoning. Its good and healthy to be challenged. I for one would enjoy meeting him. Interesting to see if he would shake my hand. :)

Richard

Ether
07-12-2013, 15:40
I couldn't possibly comment.

We have been on the Portsmouth Bilbao/Santander (return) ferry a couple of times with frozen food and ice in the freezer compartment in the fridge. On one trip the ferry took two days. The fridge was switched off on each trip. We had no problems. The fuller the fridge and freezer is the better. If necessary fill the fridge with cold drink.

I always switch the gas off when travelling either by road or sea. Propane/butane is heavier than air and can accumulate in dead spaces so could be regarded as a hazard in case of a leak. I hesitate to even think of open cylinders rolling about in case of a road or ferry accident. The hazard warning sticker on the locker door is there for a reason.

I sailed for many years and I know that a number of boats explode every year due to leaking gas. That is why I always turn the gas off in the motorhome before we go to sleep. Probably over cautious, but old habits die hard. As I understand there are ventilation holes under every pipe join in a motor home and we have all seen the grid in the gas locker floor. Of course there is the story of the locker floor being covered in layers of newspaper to stop the cylinders rattling. I don't think that he is with us any more...........................

PossumGoose
07-12-2013, 16:55
Crossings on Brittany, P&O, DFS and Sea France.

Apologies, I miss-read the bit about only bringing stuff back Ė I can think of lots of goodies Iíd like to bring home. However, no way would I do so if it meant leaving gas burning on a vehicle on a boat with lots of sleeping souls who where sailing under the impression that everyone on board paid them the basic human courtesy of adhering to the safety requirements (a bit old fashion I know).

Iíll admit my ĎI know better than the rulesí knowledge doesnít stretch as far (or as high-and-mighty) as some, so Iíll just have be one of the boring old farts who tends to play it safe and bugger the frozen squid legs.

iveco4x4
07-12-2013, 17:51
I love idea of some people being 'smarter' than others so the rules do not apply. Its also interesting to see how such 'smart people' have such little common sense because thats what it is - common sense to turn off your gas bottles on a ferry, you shouldn't need the terms and conditions or big signs about naked flames, just think about it and its obvious. There are loads of scenarios where it could cause issues. We were as a society idiots for a long time , allowing smoking on tubes and planes but thankfully we saw the light.

DO we really need a law about not dialling or texting on your mobile while driving, of course not because its obvious that it distracts you but OK we have it because idiots walk amoung us.

Its not about being a sheep or running with the herd, its about doing the right thing. Thats what smart people do.

If you want to leave your fridge on then get a fridge that would be safe to leave on - a compressor fridge running on 12v. I have one but i normally switch it off anyway cos its south african made with excellent insulation so can keep stuff frozen for days without power.

Or maybe its just people think they are 'sticking it to the man' well if thats the size of your victories then get a life

Rich

Cliffy
07-12-2013, 18:50

Pauljenny
07-12-2013, 20:07
I have realised that it's best not to post any mention of that certain French ferry company . ....(Sh*t any Ferries ) .

Best not to provoke the old boy !

I may live to regret this post !

slipper
07-12-2013, 20:55
For goodness sake, don't disturb him, he's having his nap after the medication.

kimbowbill
07-12-2013, 21:43
Mine is not a "home converted campervan",

Kontiki
08-12-2013, 18:55
I must be ok in France then as mine is made there - a Rapido :D

Mind you with the cost of food in Spain & France I doubt I could afford to fill my fridge & freezer. When we came back from Britanny this year we hardly had anything as it just wasn't worth it, many things were the same or cheaper back home.

Pauljenny
08-12-2013, 20:03
We have a Bentley , great little van , but no room for a decent size fridge . It's a small Dometic with a detatchable freezer compartment ( why ?) . We have had to learn to live with it .

It really only holds enough for 4 days totally wilding , so we have to plan in shopping trips along the route . We do pack it with Portugese hard cheeses , chunks of Presunto ham and the super Chouracao sausage , before we leave for the long trip back to Blighty.

The upside of this is that I have a little extra payload ,so we drop into a charming local shop, (Lidl ), and cram in a few more bottles of Alentajo Red ... And ,we have the perfect excuse to stop for cheap , long lunches with the truckers ,along the way .

Compromise ! Adapt ! Hic !
:idea::tongue:

Tezza33
08-12-2013, 20:21
I thought they sold food abroad?They sell frozen food in Iceland:giggle:

Pauljenny
09-12-2013, 07:55
I thought they sold food abroad?

They don't sell the goodies we bring back in Tescos .

The hams, hard cheeses and sausage keep forever in the fridge ,so we always have something available....... Just in case .

Lidl sells a very decent Reserva red from the Lisbon region .Ä..2.99 .A case doesn't last long though .I'ts young sister wine ,at 1.97 is a goog glugger too.

Siimplyloco
09-12-2013, 08:31
Lidl sells a very decent Reserva red from the Lisbon region .€..2.99 .A case doesn't last long though .I'ts young sister wine ,at 1.97 is a goog glugger too.

As I've mentioned before, we spend 5-6 months in France and Spain every year, and LIDL is our supermarket of choice. We go to the hypermarckets for the fresh milk and the odd cheese. There's a jar of LIDL's Fois Gras (only €5.60!) and a Cava (€1.65!) indoors waiting for Christmas.....
But you can't find a decent sirloin steak in either country!
John

Pauljenny
09-12-2013, 09:03
[QUOTE=siimplyloco;376154]As I'

Cava AND Sirloin ?

You must be one of those rich pensioners that the government wants to tax and reduce "benefits ":cheers:

I'm Paul , My brother is a Peter .

I love the Government ..... He's a Lib Dem !

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS