PDA

View Full Version : scooter mounting

jezjay
06-12-2013, 21:47
good evening everyone.. just a quickie.. I want to mount a scooter rack to the front of our Merc Vario.. weight is no issue and lights etc will not be covered.. but just curious if any laws prohibit this ? I`ve seen them in Spain and France..but not the UK.. I`ve looked on interweb and cant find an answer..

thanks as always..

sasquatch
06-12-2013, 21:48
Not here in the UK.

jezjay
06-12-2013, 21:51
you mean its illegal in UK ?

100% concrete illegal or a grey area ?

n brown
06-12-2013, 22:01
19086never got a pull driving round with this on the front. if you look round,there's a few lorries driving around with attatchments on the front.i would phone,not write, DVLA and have an informal chat

jezjay
06-12-2013, 22:03
thanks, will call them after the weekend

cheers

Firefox
06-12-2013, 22:12
I've never seen any legislation prohibiting them.

However, avoiding headlight beams is going to be tricky? Also I would think they'd be a potential plod magnet (just guessing on that). How can you mask all sharp edges against pedestrian impact with and without bike attached? I know for a fact any sharp body projections on the front are an MOT failure.

Maybe for this reason, all the proprietary ones in the UK are roof mount or rear mount.

jezjay
07-12-2013, 07:56
Ok cheers for the info.. will maybe try and mount on rear...

kenspain
07-12-2013, 08:04
They are not allowed in Spain I just asked my son:wave:

n brown
07-12-2013, 09:21
They are not allowed in Spain I just asked my son:wave: who cares ?more to the point Ken--is there something you need to get off your chest ???? maybe something you want to share with the world ???

kenspain
07-12-2013, 09:28
who cares ?more to the point Ken--is there something you need to get off your chest ???? maybe something you want to share with the world ???

All i am trying to do is help someone that said they have seen them in spain were they are not allowed thats all. Are you having a bad day or what:idea-007:

robjk
07-12-2013, 15:29
If you are going to mount on the Back would something like this trailer work for you !

Non-Articulated Trailer - YouTube (http://youtu.be/t1PeUU5gxWs)

Rob

sasquatch
07-12-2013, 17:19
The only legislation (construction and use) is to prevent injury to pedestrians and other road users,which is why vehicle manufacturers have changed designs over the years to make the fronts of vehicles safe. Sharp edges even from broken wings or sills are mot failures. I would expect an insurer would drop any liability in event of a claim,if they saw a bike on the front.
BTW the picture is obviously of a vehicle abroad,looks like the Middle East. To suggest something like that is ok is very irresponsible and true to your, form flippant and provocative!

Rodeo
07-12-2013, 17:31
I would have thought that purely from the fact there are sharp/odd shaped edges on the front,scooters/bikes etc arent allowed,protruding from the front of the bodywork.

jezjay
07-12-2013, 19:57
thanks for all the info.. I have a good quality motorbike rack that can bolt to the towbar.. so will probably use it on the rear ( I also have one on the front ) .. just would have preferred up front as won`t be used often and can sit nicely out of the way.. but thanks again

voyagerstan
07-12-2013, 22:09
drove around euroland for years with rack and bike on front of my 508 only problem was made the steering abit heavy no problem with plod or mot . stan:scooter:

Tezza33
07-12-2013, 22:43
All i am trying to do is help someone that said they have seen them in spain were they are not allowed thats all. Are you having a bad day or what:idea-007:I think he wants to know about the weather Ken:confused:

kenspain
08-12-2013, 10:27
I think he wants to know about the weather Ken:confused:

Well i am not telling him its 19.5 deg in the sun he might go into one, you tell him.:):):):):):)

Tompa
08-12-2013, 12:07
Afternoon
I,ve got a side loading trailer from Armitages which will take anything up to my Honda Blackbird. They are about 800 ready to go. I,ve also used a towbar rack on my pick-up for my trail bike but couldn,t use it on the MH as it would exceed the nose weight. I had a hitch on the front of the pick-up as well as the rear but I didn,t use that for carrying bikes. It is not illegal but the bizzies can give you a lot of grief re sharp edges and bits protruding and their interpretation of some aspects of the law can vary. I can definitely recommend the Armitage trailer.
Cheers, Tompa

Tompa
11-12-2013, 15:24
David
You are spot on with your comments on reversing the trailer, but they come with a good jockey wheel and are easy to move. I have reversed mine with someone watching me back and a bit of shuffling on a few occassions but it,s often easier to unhitch. The caster trailers have been mentioned on some of the bike forums (I did a lot of research before buying the trailer) and I,ve seen complaints of them failing. I got the impression that the cheap version is US and the one that works well is very expensive.
Cheers, Tompa.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS