PDA

View Full Version : What do we want in a crossing?

antiquesam
07-12-2013, 11:23
I crossed on the Portsmouth-Le Havre ferry on Wednesday night and returned last evening,this was because Brittany Ferries could only put me on standby and I had an urgent delivery. While crossing I started thinking what you need on a night crossing and came to the conclusion that it was something to eat, a bar and a comfortable berth in a decent cabin. All of which I got for 100 less on this crossing. You don't get the boutique style or waiter with a lit up tray on this service, but the cabins and berths are larger than Brittany Ferries and the night crossing takes 8 hours, so you get a decent sleep and the return crossing takes 5.5 hours, but there is only one crossing each way. I will be using them whenever I can from now on.

Tbear
07-12-2013, 13:04
We where thinking of going this way on our next trip as it drops us a little further south and we never seem to get very far in a day for one reason or another. Could never understand people who spend most of there holiday behind the wheel.

Richard

Siimplyloco
07-12-2013, 13:29
We've been using LD Lines from Portsmouth- Le Havre since they started. Excellent value and cheerful service.
John

Davy
07-12-2013, 13:49
I assume the company you are praising is DFDS?
We went with them in Sept on the same overnight crossing for 76 for our 6m long 3m high motorhome.
On boarding we went straight to the cabin so any fancy facilities on the boat would have been wasted on us. Only complaint was the morning nagging on the intercom to return cabin keys to reception which made it difficult to take our time in the cabin.
We came back daytime with Brittany Ferries and had a very pleasant cruise-like experience relaxing in the public areas. Would not want to be in the cramped and gloomy DFDS public areas daytime.

I crossed on the Portsmouth-Le Havre ferry on Wednesday night and returned last evening,this was because Brittany Ferries could only put me on standby and I had an urgent delivery. While crossing I started thinking what you need on a night crossing and came to the conclusion that it was something to eat, a bar and a comfortable berth in a decent cabin. All of which I got for 100 less on this crossing. You don't get the boutique style or waiter with a lit up tray on this service, but the cabins and berths are larger than Brittany Ferries and the night crossing takes 8 hours, so you get a decent sleep and the return crossing takes 5.5 hours, but there is only one crossing each way. I will be using them whenever I can from now on.

Siimplyloco
07-12-2013, 13:54
I.n.
We came back daytime with Brittany Ferries and had a very pleasant cruise-like experience relaxing in the public areas. Would not want to be in the cramped and gloomy DFDS public areas daytime.

For DFDS read LD Lines. We get a day cabin for the return trip: it costs very little and we take a bottle of newly acquired cava in with us! BF is very nice - we went to Santander with them this year, but you get what you pay for.....
John

mark61
07-12-2013, 14:02
Silja line, Stockholm to Turku route, always a good party. You won't remember what the cabin is like. Just don't drive the next day. :)

antiquesam
07-12-2013, 14:09
For my sins I run down to Toulouse two or three times a month. Unfortunately I can't get down in time to unload before they close, so have to tip in the morning, which means I can't get back to Le Havre in time for the 5.00p.m. sailing (this time Airbus were that desperate they waited for me), so will still have to rely on Brittany for the night crossing home, or go up to Dieppe for the 5.00a.m. crossing to Newhaven and drive back to Pompey.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS