PDA

View Full Version : Best route to Benidorm area?

Sandylands
11-12-2013, 13:05
I'm finishing work in three weeks :banana: and thought we might take our first MH euro trip in early January. Some friends of ours are going to be down near Benidorm so thought we could go down and join them there. On looking at routes (avoiding tolls of course) the direct route over the alps seems to go down by Pau, are we better to go the coastal route via San Sebastian or even the Perpignan way, adding some extra KMs to the trip but avoiding potential snow??

I feel like I'm answering my own question here, but would appreciate some experienced & knowledgeable feedback. Which way would you go?

sanddollar
11-12-2013, 14:15
Hi

This year (Jan) we went via St Sebastian, and came back via Perpignan, we preferred the Perpignan route, and yes I would avoid the snow! We will be going back next year (Jan 8) via Perpignan. If you google the route to avoid tolls (some are worth paying) you will get a suggested route.
Do you know a good overnight stop in Dover?
Cheers

Sanddollar

MORGANTHEMOON
11-12-2013, 14:19
Where do you stay in Benidorm?

Can you get near to the resort?

vindiboy
11-12-2013, 14:53
Hi

This year (Jan) we went via St Sebastian, and came back via Perpignan, we preferred the Perpignan route, and yes I would avoid the snow! We will be going back next year (Jan 8) via Perpignan. If you google the route to avoid tolls (some are worth paying) you will get a suggested route.
Do you know a good overnight stop in Dover?
Cheers

Sanddollar Canterbury park and ride has a dedicated Motorhome area 3 for 24 hrs no entry Sundays but can exit toilet dump and water, ride the bus free into Canterbury only a twenty minute drive to ferry at Dover.
OR park free after 6pm on the beach at Marine Parade Dover both good options, or free overnight parking at the Dover Patrol monument on the cliff top overlooking Dover Harbour and France visible on clear days.

lebesset
11-12-2013, 16:53
as sandollar suggests, best route this time of year is via perpignan , so

calais , rouen , orleans , clermont ferrand , perpignan then down the coast to benidorm

at some point you have to cross high ground , the big advantage of this route is that when this happens you are on a free motorway which has never been blocked since it was constructed because the EU paid for a large number of depot's with the required equipment to keep it clear day and night

Siimplyloco
11-12-2013, 17:01

calais , rouen , orleans , clermont ferrand , perpignan then down the coast to benidorm

at some point you have to cross high ground , the big advantage of this route is that when this happens you are on a free motorway which has never been blocked since it was constructed because the EU paid for a large number of depot's with the required equipment to keep it clear day and night

Agreed, but I did follow the snowplough over the Millau bridge in the dark and that was quite unnerving: and I was driving my 4x4 at the time!
John

lebesset
11-12-2013, 17:18
well , I'll be going that way in a couple of weeks but one thing is certain , I won't be going over the viaduct in the dark ....maybe tucked up in bed in the aire by the gendarmerie in millau though !

Tezza33
11-12-2013, 17:19

Exactly the route I take, we had a bit of snow on the free motorway two years ago but it was soon cleared

sanddollar
11-12-2013, 17:40
Thanks for the parking info. Vindiboy. Looks like good options.

sanddollar
11-12-2013, 18:11
Given the comments above about snow on the Millau Viaduct, is it worth going via Limoges and Toulouse, and then across to Perpignan?

Shockingdog
11-12-2013, 18:25

I agree with this route we have taken it for the last three years without any problems.We break it up into 4 easy sections of about 250 mls per day.Crossing via Chanel tunnel,first aire at Buchy, (take on diesel) then St Amond Montrond Aire.(diesel)Then The aire at Millau (diesel) then into Spain, (A9 Barcelona) (more Diesel) overnight stopping at Blains then onward south further into Spain.
Good luck.

wineciccio
11-12-2013, 21:14
Well whichever route you choose I definetely wouldn't be following you, you mentioned the ALPS, are you going to Italy???? Secondly jokes apart I'm seriously thinking of having a month or so down there, I usually stay at camping EL RACO which is just out of Benidorm, but you must stay 30 days or more to gain a reduction in price, Benidorm is within walking distance and I do aires all the way down, stopping at Cambrils as the last stop before Benidorm, so watch this space, if you choose the right route I might join you:rockroll:

suedge
12-12-2013, 09:15
Where do you stay in Benidorm?

Can you get near to the resort?

There are about 6 sites in and around Benidorm, some within walking distance, some a short bus ride.
The one mentioned El Raco is close to town,

Eric

lebesset
12-12-2013, 11:39
Given the comments above about snow on the Millau Viaduct, is it worth going via Limoges and Toulouse, and then across to Perpignan?

much more likely to get blocked if it snows , 3 years ago one of my friends was stuck for 3 days , not a good experience

Sandylands
15-12-2013, 22:41
Thanks for the input everyone, that's what I like about this forum, we'll be en-route 8th January can't wait!

Motorhomelover
15-12-2013, 23:05
There are a few heading to benidorm in Jan from MHF site
Look in there you may hook up and go in convoy
Safety in numbers

Neckender
19-12-2013, 19:59
I've just got back from 6 weeks in Benidorm we stopped at el toretta camp site at the rear of Benidorm Palace very close to town centre, 30 days 15 euro a night with 4 English tv channels included,

John.

rebbyvid
20-12-2013, 09:44
I've just got back from 6 weeks in Benidorm we stopped at el toretta camp site at the rear of Benidorm Palace very close to town centre, 30 days 15 euro a night with 4 English tv channels included,

John.
I was in Benidorm last week and picked a Sedgway (my 2 wheeled oap buggy ;) ) up from the Benidorm Palace car park and had a look at El Torreta and picked a brochure up while there,see it also includes 4kw a day of leccy. Daily price is 14.20 euro plus 6 euro pperson then you 3.90 elect on top so if you going it pays to go for 30 days or more .

Neckender
22-12-2013, 18:46
Sorry mistake the camp site is La Torreta.

John.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS