PDA

View Full Version : 12v under electric blanket

justdoitviv
11-12-2013, 19:28
Can someone please send a link for a 12 v under electric blanket. I can see 12v electric blankets which are used as a rug/wrap around. Im looking for one which you can lay on and put under the sheet. Many thanks

trevskoda
11-12-2013, 19:34
Can someone please send a link for a 12 v under electric blanket. I can see 12v electric blankets which are used as a rug/wrap around. Im looking for one which you can lay on and put under the sheet. Many thanks

never seen one,would think resistor wire would be to thick for a full blanket,mind you i have seen gloves and jackets for motorcyclists ?

rockape
11-12-2013, 19:48
Bought mine about 4 years ago from Maplins , works well.i

justdoitviv
11-12-2013, 19:58
Bought mine about 4 years ago from Maplins , works well.i

ok will go to their web site. didn't come up in google search

justdoitviv
11-12-2013, 22:02
get back to basics - get a hot water bottle - it does work

its my Christmas pressy from the kids. I can do with a blanket for my bones. nothing on maplin.

jonkil
11-12-2013, 22:13
Try this:
LARGE 12V ELECTRIC HEATED CAR TRUCK EMERGENCY TRAVEL BLANKET THROW 12 VOLT RUG | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-12V-ELECTRIC-HEATED-CAR-TRUCK-EMERGENCY-TRAVEL-BLANKET-THROW-12-VOLT-RUG-/190748341930?pt=UK_TravelTickets_Accessories_RL&hash=item2c697cb6aa)

Or this:
Automotive Electric Blanket 12 Volt | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automotive-Electric-Blanket-12-Volt-/231065332438?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Bedroom_Bedding_PP&hash=item35cc912ad6)

maingate
11-12-2013, 22:17
You can probably get a good quality Duvet (with Duck Down) for the same price. Warm in Winter and cool in Summer. We used to have one for a bedroom where even the damp wallpaper froze in Winter. I am as nekkid as a jaybird in bed but was never cold.

Oh yes, it doesn't need any 12 volt power either. :)

FULL TIMER
11-12-2013, 22:37
Can't find what you want in the UK, but typically the yanks and aussies have them for truckers bunks example here ElectroWarmth 12-Volt Bunk Warmer at RoadTrucker.com (http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-heating/12-volt-bunk-warmer.htm)

FULL TIMER
11-12-2013, 22:41
these might be worth a try, they ship internationally 12 Volt Heated Blankets - 12 Volt Twin Bunk Warmer Pad - 36 x 60 (http://www.my12voltstore.com/12_Volt_Twin_Bunk_Warmer_Pad_p/t36.htm)

justdoitviv
11-12-2013, 23:29
Can't find what you want in the UK, but typically the yanks and aussies have them for truckers bunks example here ElectroWarmth 12-Volt Bunk Warmer at RoadTrucker.com (http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-heating/12-volt-bunk-warmer.htm)
yes that is exactly what I was needing.....where can I find it in the uk? At present there are only rugs, thow overs, and 1 overblanket (have saved incase I might not find what I need).............
The trouble with a over blanket is that NO other bedding can be placed on top of it because of over heating. Its the under blanket I need. Where in the uk?

justdoitviv
11-12-2013, 23:32
You can probably get a good quality Duvet (with Duck Down) for the same price. Warm in Winter and cool in Summer. We used to have one for a bedroom where even the damp wallpaper froze in Winter. I am as nekkid as a jaybird in bed but was never cold.

Oh yes, it doesn't need any 12 volt power either. :)

yes thanks I have summer and winter feather duvets and yes they are warm. But you still need to get into a cold bed to warm it up with your body heat......and that can take 2 hrs when you are alone in bed, or you need 4/5 hot water bottles, and on gas, it takes ages for the kettle to boil and wouldn't fill that many hot water bottles. Under electric blanket just more convenient.

Dive Tramp
12-12-2013, 01:03
This should answer all (most, anyway) your cold nocturnal problems...

12volt blanket | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.X12vol t+blanket&_nkw=12volt+blanket&_sacat=0&_from=R40)

I've got one of these (or at least something similar) and switch it on during my (solo) cold weather journeys as I'm driving then switch it off once stopped. It's served me VERY well for over 5 years of winter wilding. They're only 60watts (the same as my 240V AC electric blanket for the house bed) and makes for a very comfy bed.

There are, of course, other methods of keeping warm (as others have alluded to)
however, those other methods may end up being somewhat less cost effective. ;-)

DT

yorkieowl
12-12-2013, 01:58
If you don't manage to find one (not looked at the links posted), you could try getting a heated car seat cover, these are meant to be sat on, so would have thought they'd be ok under a quilt, not as big so wont drain battery as much.

Duckrow
12-12-2013, 05:22
I was thinking that but when I looked at the power consumption I realised they were only really viable with the engine running. Off the top of my head I think it was 10amps. I found it on an Amazon listing

Alf
12-12-2013, 09:02
Viv if you must have one of these Amazon uk have a 12v electric blanket rated at 2.2A
12V Heated Car Blanket, Ideal For the Car / Breakdown
Cheap as well, I would not want to sleep on it whilst turned on though at this price I doubt if they will be fitted with overheat devices

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=12V%20Heated%20Car%20Blanket%2C%20Ideal%2 0For%20the%20Car%20%2F%20Breakdown

Alf

justdoitviv
13-12-2013, 22:06
I was thinking that but when I looked at the power consumption I realised they were only really viable with the engine running. Off the top of my head I think it was 10amps. I found it on an Amazon listing

I had a look at the rear heated car seat and thought size wise it would be ideal. My next question was going to be on the power consumption. So are you saying the engine must be kept running to use this car seat? cause that wouldn't be viable, laying in bed with the engine running.

Alf
13-12-2013, 22:51
Viv did you look at the link in my post the Amazon blanket is rated at 2.2A

I had a look at the rear heated car seat and thought size wise it would be ideal. My next question was going to be on the power consumption. So are you saying the engine must be kept running to use this car seat? cause that wouldn't be viable, laying in bed with the engine running.

justdoitviv
13-12-2013, 22:58
Viv did you look at the link in my post the Amazon blanket is rated at 2.2A

hi alf...yes, there a lot of these being advertised. I had one years ago. Firstly you have to plug it with an engine running. Plus it is a blanket you wrap your self in while driving along. Its not meant to put in a bed and the duvet over it. Unless im looking at the wrong item. If I am say playing games and have the heating on all comfy with a drink....passing the night away. The last thing I want to do I drive around for an hour to warm the blanket, then wrap it around myself to jump into bed. I want to play my games or do whatever for the evening, switch the blanket on 1 hour before bedtime, and snuggle down in a warm bed. Am I looking at the wrong item?

Siimplyloco
14-12-2013, 07:12
What's wrong with running a mains blanket from a small inverter?
John

trevskoda
14-12-2013, 08:22
This should answer all (most, anyway) your cold nocturnal problems...

12volt blanket | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.X12vol t+blanket&_nkw=12volt+blanket&_sacat=0&_from=R40)

I've got one of these (or at least something similar) and switch it on during my (solo) cold weather journeys as I'm driving then switch it off once stopped. It's served me VERY well for over 5 years of winter wilding. They're only 60watts (the same as my 240V AC electric blanket for the house bed) and makes for a very comfy bed.

There are, of course, other methods of keeping warm (as others have alluded to)
however, those other methods may end up being somewhat less cost effective. ;-)

DT

yes you have to feed them choclate and buy them rings etc:shag::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

trevskoda
14-12-2013, 08:25
get back to basics - get a hot water bottle - it does work

one night i had a dream i was eating a large wine gum when i awoke the hot water bottle had gone ?:lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

Alf
14-12-2013, 09:33
I have several friends who use a 240v electric blanket and all use via a power pack with an inverter fitted so as not to run the leisure or van battery down one of then quotes her blanket uses just under 4a when running for about 1 hour before turning in.
A point to remember with an inverter the inverter takes 20 times the 12v rated power from your battery.

Alf

hi alf...yes, there a lot of these being advertised. I had one years ago. Firstly you have to plug it with an engine running. Plus it is a blanket you wrap your self in while driving along. Its not meant to put in a bed and the duvet over it. Unless im looking at the wrong item. If I am say playing games and have the heating on all comfy with a drink....passing the night away. The last thing I want to do I drive around for an hour to warm the blanket, then wrap it around myself to jump into bed. I want to play my games or do whatever for the evening, switch the blanket on 1 hour before bedtime, and snuggle down in a warm bed. Am I looking at the wrong item?

justdoitviv
14-12-2013, 13:20
I have several friends who use a 240v electric blanket and all use via a power pack with an inverter fitted so as not to run the leisure or van battery down one of then quotes her blanket uses just under 4a when running for about 1 hour before turning in.
A point to remember with an inverter the inverter takes 20 times the 12v rated power from your battery.

Alf
Yes I have read threads about a power pack. But I don't understand what they are talking about. Can you send me the link please. thanks

Alf
14-12-2013, 14:33
Viv have a look at Halfords for a 12v power pack with inverter.
You can buy from various places some have a tyre inflator and torch campers use them a lot as do people with small motorcaravans, you could use one of these for your mains blanket and then top up the charge in the power pack whilst driving, I would avoid EBay as you will not know if the battery inside is good, if you live in a rural area where you get power cuts they are handy to provide lighting,power to PC and phones etc.

Alf

Yes I have read threads about a power pack. But I don't understand what they are talking about. Can you send me the link please. thanks

Tbear
14-12-2013, 14:51
Onsie and a pair of bed socks might be cheaper and more versatile. :)

Richard

justdoitviv
14-12-2013, 16:33
Viv have a look at Halfords for a 12v power pack with inverter.
You can buy from various places some have a tyre inflator and torch campers use them a lot as do people with small motorcaravans, you could use one of these for your mains blanket and then top up the charge in the power pack whilst driving, I would avoid EBay as you will not know if the battery inside is good, if you live in a rural area where you get power cuts they are handy to provide lighting,power to PC and phones etc.

Alf
Many thanks for your help. Which one do I get from Halfords? The PP 200 with compressor at 99.99 17 ah (whatever that is) or the ring profession at 119.99 with 34 ah?

Also, I have been on amazon looking for low energy electric blankets, but they are not giving information like the number of amps it uses, to enable me to ask the question...is this the one I buy and how many hours use will I get out of it with the power pack. I not other people are quoting amps. Its doesn't say on amazon . Can you give link for a single blanket to go with the power pack thanks.

Alf
14-12-2013, 17:45
Viv you have a PM

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS