PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth / Le Havre ferry

ronste
12-12-2013, 12:18
Looking at this for my trip to Spain in January , coming from Scotland it's going to save me quite a bit of mileage .
Anyone done this trip and any overnight stops around Portsmouth

antiquesam
12-12-2013, 13:47
The only sailing to Le Havre is at 11.00pm, so you may not need a stopover close to Portsmouth. If you do want to stop I would use one of the car parks on the top of Portsdown Hill. There is one by the side of a fort which gives views down over the City in one direction and the country to the north in the other. I haven't got the coordinates but you can't miss the hill.

antiquesam
12-12-2013, 14:18
I think the catamaran is a summer thing. They don't like high seas.

witzend
12-12-2013, 14:42
LD Lines used to run a fast ferry

antiquesam
12-12-2013, 15:20
The Winter timetables are always strange. Brittany Ferries are operating with two crossings some days and three on others with no set days for either, and have different sailing times on some days.

Siimplyloco
12-12-2013, 16:32
I used to use the P&O fast cat years ago when my sailing boat was based in Cherbourg. The thing either broke down regularly, or it didn't have a free berth in Portsmouth when we arrived! Or both....
Mind you, 25 for a weekend away including the car!
No wonder they went bust.
John

noarlunga
12-12-2013, 16:35
Looking at this for my trip to Spain in January , coming from Scotland it's going to save me quite a bit of mileage .
Anyone done this trip and any overnight stops around Portsmouth

Mrs Noarlunga and I did this trip at the end of October. From Le Havre we took a leisurely drive down to St Nazaire and caught another LD ferry overnight to Gijon. It was a comfortable trip overall and the price came in at somewhere around 350 including a return trip from Le Havre to Portsmouth.

We took two days to go from Le Havre to St Nazaire (overnighting in Fougeres) but you could do it easily in one hop.

Johnny A

noarlunga
12-12-2013, 17:41
I think the Bay of Biscay can be rough at any time of the year. January stands as much chance of rough weather as any other time although I'm told early spring very often brings some interesting crossings.

Taking the risk depends on the strength of one's stomach.

J

ronste
12-12-2013, 19:00
Thanks but priced it up Caen route got quoted 169 single and Le Havre 48 single so probably pay the toll or drive a few miles up road and get free ferry across river .

You can tell I'm a miserable Scotsman !

antiquesam
12-12-2013, 21:18
Buy a cabin and you'll still be in pocket. It adds 67km to my run to Toulouse and the crossing takes 8 hours which is enough time to get a good sleep and a shower.

noarlunga
13-12-2013, 01:20
I think I've understood your comment correctly. I suppose it depends on your expectations but this year I travelled via Cherbourg and Caen on Brittany Ferries and then both ways Portsmouth/Le Havre on LD/DFDS. Both times the food was adequate, the cabins comfortable and the service reasonable. The LD/DFDS trip was cheaper financially but not cheaper (i.e.. lesser quality) in terms of service. I suppose that if I'd have had a restaurant meal each time there might have been a comparison, or there might be some other comparison to be made, but as a 'bus service' experience, the LD/DFDS trip was perfectly good.

When all's said and done it's only a ferry. The important bit is the road trip itself.

Siimplyloco
13-12-2013, 07:28
SNIP
as a 'bus service' experience, the LD/DFDS trip was perfectly good.

When all's said and done it's only a ferry. The important bit is the road trip itself.

The current ferries are a far cry from the 'cattle trucks' of the 60's and 70's. The P & O Cherbourg boats were, I believe, old Townsend Thorensen tubs, and we've been on one where in rough weather the stern lifted out of the water and sent our meal flying. One could hear the duty free stock jangling and clanking the entire trip!
LD Lines works for us. We have no pretentions towards luxury travel!
John

moonshadow
13-12-2013, 07:43
It might be worth checking, but Brittany Ferries lets you overnight in he port if you get there after the last ferry. Perhaps the others do too?

wildman
13-12-2013, 10:37
Have you actually done the maths to compare costs. I live in Devon yet it is cheaper for me to drive to Dover and back down the french coast than to pay the extra ferry charges from anywhere else along the south coast. Coming from Scotland Dover seems the obvious choice for you unless it is a matter of time of course and we all value that differently.

ScamperVan
13-12-2013, 11:27
We'll not be using the Portsmouth-Caen crossing again - not so much because of the DUI implications, but because in reality the "sleepable" hours are not adequate. It was gone midnight by the time it was quiet enough to sleep - the "bing bong" announcements seem to go on far too late and, although people weren't noisy, the sound of them going about normal business is intrusive.
And even if you forego breakfast/showers etc the ship has a general "wake-up" call about an hour before it docks.

We enjoyed the Portsmouth - Santander crossing and were pleasantly surprised by their relaxed approach to folks eating food they'd brought onboard with them - there is even a microwave for public use (saw several people in the bar area scoffing supermarket curries etc).

john t
13-12-2013, 12:02
I hate sailing, little bit of rough weather, and i'm kneeling down the bog talking to god.!
I'd drive to Dover, over on the chunnel, then a drive down the west coast, i know it's long winded, especially if ya going far, South France or Spain, but i love driving and sight seeing as a go.!

jt

ronste
13-12-2013, 12:05
Have you actually done the maths to compare costs. I live in Devon yet it is cheaper for me to drive to Dover and back down the french coast than to pay the extra ferry charges from anywhere else along the south coast. Coming from Scotland Dover seems the obvious choice for you unless it is a matter of time of course and we all value that differently.

Yup done the maths

Ayr / Dover. 480 miles
Ayr / Portsmouth . 450 miles

30 miles shorter

Calais to Le Havre 170 miles

14th January Ferry

Dover/ Calais 40.00 one way

Portsmouth / Le Havre. 48.50 one way

Saving 200 miles and paying an extra 8.50

Ronnie

antiquesam
13-12-2013, 12:14
[QUOTE=ronste;377358]Yup done the maths

Ayr / Dover. 480 miles
Ayr / Portsmouth . 450 miles

30 miles shorter

Calais to Le Havre 170 miles

14th January Ferry

Dover/ Calais 40.00 one way

Portsmouth / Le Havre. 48.50 one way

Saving 200 miles and paying an extra 8.50

Ronnie

Do yourself a favour though and treat yourself to a cabin. 8 hours is long time with nothing to do. I did see some people bedding down on the children's play area mats and a few on the limited amount of couch in the bar, but they did look rough in the morning.

mark61
13-12-2013, 12:24
48.50 is a good price, makes no sense to drive, unless you really hate ferries and love driving.
Is that price for a MH, or you going in a car?

ronste
13-12-2013, 12:33
z
48.50 is a good price, makes no sense to drive, unless you really hate ferries and love driving.
Is that price for a MH, or you going in a car?

Motorhome up to 6m with DFDS

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS