PDA

View Full Version : Fridge problems with gas (again)

spigot
12-12-2013, 21:44
Fridge stopped working on gas whilst up in Caerphilly although the pilot light is on.

So I thought 'do the usual', wait till I get home, get fridge out & turn upside down for day or two.

But, I thought try it on 12 volt on way home, when arriving after 4 hour drive I noticed the temperature in the ice box had fallen by 25 degrees.

Next day tried it on 250v, working perfectly.

So, working OK on electricity, no working on gas although flame is on.

Any ideas on this one?

Alf
13-12-2013, 05:47
Sounds like a thermocouple , turning over is mainly for an airlock effecting the 12v heater which does not produce enough heat to overcome air locks

Alf

Fridge stopped working on gas whilst up in Caerphilly although the pilot light is on.

So I thought 'do the usual', wait till I get home, get fridge out & turn upside down for day or two.

But, I thought try it on 12 volt on way home, when arriving after 4 hour drive I noticed the temperature in the ice box had fallen by 25 degrees.

Next day tried it on 250v, working perfectly.

So, working OK on electricity, no working on gas although flame is on.

Any ideas on this one?

n brown
13-12-2013, 06:17
if it works on 12 and 240v then it works,if the burner lights and stays lit ,the thermo couple is fine .if the flame is nice and blue,the burner doesn't need cleaning. this leaves 2 possibles. the van is on a lean,or there dirt or rust in the chimney and it needs blowing out

El Veterano
13-12-2013, 06:36
if it works on 12 and 240v then it works,if the burner lights and stays lit ,the thermo couple is fine .if the flame is nice and blue,the burner doesn't need cleaning. this leaves 2 possibles. the van is on a lean,or there dirt or rust in the chimney and it needs blowing out

The constant problem with Dometic/ Electrolux fridges - if they are virtually anything off level, then they don't work. Which makes them totally unsuitably for a motorhome. (their tolerance level is around 6 degrees, which is nothing)

Teutone
13-12-2013, 06:53
The constant problem with Dometic/ Electrolux fridges - if they are virtually anything off level, then they don't work. Which makes them totally unsuitably for a motorhome. (their tolerance level is around 6 degrees, which is nothing)

Sorry but this is not what I have experienced. I was parking with two wheels up the curb and the fridge was almost freezing next morning (on Gas)

Maybe front to rear steep angles may affect it more. As long as the refrigerant in the heat exchanger can vapourise and condense, your fridge will be working.

For the OP, have you turned the selector on max? I noticed that there is an audible "click" once the fridge is nice and cold when you turn the knob back to half. Means the inbuild (in the switch) thermostate is turning the fridge off. You could try this at 240V first to see if that works.

Do you have a thermometer?

El Veterano
13-12-2013, 09:34
Sorry but this is not what I have experienced. I was parking with two wheels up the curb and the fridge was almost freezing next morning (on Gas)

Maybe front to rear steep angles may affect it more. As long as the refrigerant in the heat exchanger can vapourise and condense, your fridge will be working.

For the OP, have you turned the selector on max? I noticed that there is an audible "click" once the fridge is nice and cold when you turn the knob back to half. Means the inbuild (in the switch) thermostate is turning the fridge off. You could try this at 240V first to see if that works.

Do you have a thermometer?

Point taken, and I agree with you. However the tilt tolerance is officially 6 degrees, but as you point out it is not an exact science, and sometimes you can be lucky and they will work, other times they won't. But my own experience also is that if you are lucky enough to have one of the older models then they are far more likely to work. Further more the older ones work far better than the new models in warm climates. The new ones are usually usless in anything much over 20C.

spigot
13-12-2013, 09:39

It can't be anything to do with the angle, I was on a level car park when it packed up & in the past it has worked on quite wonky ground.

Something I have noticed, the flame viewed through the circular window seems much smaller than it used to be.

It might be something to do with this.

Alf
13-12-2013, 10:04
As I understand the pilot light lights but not very high hence the thermocouple, or as the op says in their last post the pilot light is not as high so the pilot jet may be partially blocked

Alf

n brown
13-12-2013, 10:06
sounds like crap or rust flakes from the flue have fell on the burner mesh,or just possible, the jet needs a clean. can you take off the bottom vent to get to it ?

vindiboy
13-12-2013, 10:08
Your gas jet is blocked and the burner is cloged and the chimney needs a clean,you can see a flame but if is not fierce enough because of blockage. The burner assemble needs to be dismantled and cleaned and the problem will be solved.DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE COMPETANT WITH GAS better safe than sorry. I have never had a problem with Dometic or Electrolux with regards level,in my opinion they are very level tolerant.Thetford fridges are not,that is my experience anyway.

Alf
13-12-2013, 10:09
Being level is more critical on 12v the higher evaporation on gas and mains will keep a good refrigerant flow the 12v heater does not have this power so hence the getting level is more critical on 12v

Alf

El Veterano
13-12-2013, 10:32
It can't be anything to do with the angle, I was on a level car park when it packed up & in the past it has worked on quite wonky ground.

Something I have noticed, the flame viewed through the circular window seems much smaller than it used to be.

It might be something to do with this.

That's all good then. In that case I would change the jet and burner assembly, or at least take it out and clean it, preferably with an air-line. Mine (a 2007 model) was a chrome affair, and even after cleaning out the burner slots it still would not burn properly. I first noticed the problem because there was black soot building up on the vent. Replaced it with a new stainless steel item, end of problem. I think there are 2 different burners available, so make sure to get the right one.

carol
13-12-2013, 10:36
Hope this helps, Mike! :)

n brown
13-12-2013, 10:40
hang on has this fridge got 2 burners or a pilot light and burner ? if so I've never seen one like that,ionly know the ones with a single burner

just jane
13-12-2013, 12:04
Being level is more critical on 12v the higher evaporation on gas and mains will keep a good refrigerant flow the 12v heater does not have this power so hence the getting level is more critical on 12v

Alf

Surely its never on 12v unless driving along in which case how level it is depends on the road.

Teutone
13-12-2013, 13:00
That's all good then. In that case I would change the jet and burner assembly, or at least take it out and clean it, preferably with an air-line. Mine (a 2007 model) was a chrome affair, and even after cleaning out the burner slots it still would not burn properly. I first noticed the problem because there was black soot building up on the vent. Replaced it with a new stainless steel item, end of problem. I think there are 2 different burners available, so make sure to get the right one.

I replaced the burner and jet recently as well. The old burner was quite rusty and a lot of stuff came out when I cleaned it. The new burner is running with a far more audible "hiss" than the old one I took out. But not cheap, £45 plus shipping.

Alf
13-12-2013, 13:36
That's the idea of 12v just for road use when the movement of the van aids the movement of the refrigerant but if anyone stops in one place using 12v without movement the system can air lock and cause problems

Alf

Surely its never on 12v unless driving along in which case how level it is depends on the road.

El Veterano
13-12-2013, 16:45
I replaced the burner and jet recently as well. The old burner was quite rusty and a lot of stuff came out when I cleaned it. The new burner is running with a far more audible "hiss" than the old one I took out. But not cheap, £45 plus shipping.

Exactly. I'm sure that before I had the problem with fridge that it ran quietly. Since putting in the new burner you can definitely hear it outside by the vents. So much so that I specifically asked it to be looked at during a recent habitation service. The report on that came back as all clear afterwards, and he did test the pressure at the fridge coupling and checked that the correct sized jet was in the burner.
So my fridge now works as well as it is going to - unless we end up on a slope or in anything over 20C.
Oh and this one is £30 inc postage http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/thetford-fridge-burner-623019-1955-p.asp
Or try Leisure Spares tel:01423 320009

spigot
14-12-2013, 22:30
Thanks, Guys, for your input.

Pulled fridge out today, burner rusty & dirty, Blasted this & the flue with the compressed airline.

It is now cooling but flame is still quite small & no audible hiss.

I think a new burner is on the cards in the new year.

n brown
14-12-2013, 22:41
undo the gas connection to the burner carefully as ,if its the one I think likely,there'll be a pressed aluminium jet in there.give this a clean and clear the jet using a strand or 2 of electrical wire. the hole in the jet is tiny and a bit of dust or debris can adversely affect the flame

invalid
14-12-2013, 22:42
Mine doesn’t hiss, and even after cleaning the flame is not massive, but it works.
I had a similar problem that I think was rust same as yours, after cleaning seems fine.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS