PDA

View Full Version : help and advice needed please

Campermad
13-12-2013, 07:48
Hi all, my campervan is doin my head in ive a boxer 2.5 engine thats running rough and is stalling everytime i push the clutch down and my diesel heater isn't working as well, anyone any idea what i can try myself to fix the engine? And i cant even find the heater to fix it so after advice there also please,
6 of us leaving for the alps thurday over xmas so need to fix these

vindiboy
13-12-2013, 10:15
Lots of things could be causing this, is it contaminated diesel, water in the diesel blocked filters dodgy injecters . My advice this close to a trip to colder climes would be a garage or a mobile fitter.DIesel sounds a good bet if the diesel heater is playing up too.

n brown
13-12-2013, 10:18
look under you van for 2 corrugated metal pipes coming through the floor about an inch apart,that's where your heater is

Campermad
13-12-2013, 15:57
Thanks guys, no money left for a mechanic so im changing air filter and cleaning the air pipes and adding redex if that dont sort it im going to set the accelerator cable so when i put the clutch down the engine revs without idling as it only stalls when idling and if i cant fix the airblow diesel heater then people will have to put a bigger jumper on lol , we have a hotel but its 2 days there and 2 back in a cold camper

chrisinbrighton
13-12-2013, 16:07
as a tempory measure you could get one of those heaters that plug into cigarette lighter plug that will do the job on the move

wineciccio
13-12-2013, 16:23
It sounds( do not quote me) as though you could do with a new clutch cable mate, they do wear out inside and what happens the nylon sleeve inside frays like hell, hence it does not work as smooth as before and it makes the clutch drag that is why your engine stalls, also its a good idea to carry a clutch cable abroad, the left hand ducatos (continentals) have a much shorter cable. Now I have a spare clutch cable in my garage you can have if you are near Liverpool, :scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter:

rottiontour
13-12-2013, 16:27
change diesel filter, may be it blocks the diesel flow

chrisinbrighton
13-12-2013, 16:30
It sounds( do not quote me) as though you could do with a new clutch cable mate, they do wear out inside and what happens the nylon sleeve inside frays like hell, hence it does not work as smooth as before and it makes the clutch drag that is why your engine stalls, also its a good idea to carry a clutch cable abroad, the left hand ducatos (continentals) have a much shorter cable. Now I have a spare clutch cable in my garage you can have if you are near Liverpool, :scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter:

Reminds me I failed my driving test last week, when I opened the door to let the clutch out

Wooie1958
13-12-2013, 16:34
When was it last serviced ?

Campermad
13-12-2013, 16:38
Last serviced about 4 months ago after we did croatia for 3 weeks and the thing ran perfect, its been sat doing nothing for a while and now this,
Dam not close to liverpool but thanks for the offer :)

David & Ann
13-12-2013, 16:42
change diesel filter, may be it blocks the diesel flow

My thoughts too.

trevskoda
13-12-2013, 16:43
it will be either diesel filter blocked or fuel pump starving injector pump,also look to see if fuel filter is holed or leaking.
this will cause engine to stall when you drop the clutch to move off,my dihatsu jeep did this and it was a small hole in fuel filter
on the bottom with corrosion,didint leak which was strange,but it was sucking air and starving injector pump,
hope this helps.:hammer::hammer::hammer:

martyncc
13-12-2013, 16:49
have you put any texico fuel in it . my van hates the stuff

chrisinbrighton
13-12-2013, 16:56
Is there water in the fuel there was a spate of garages with water in there tanks a few years ago believe it was asda

trevskoda
13-12-2013, 17:06
Is there water in the fuel there was a spate of garages with water in there tanks a few years ago believe it was asda

good point i forgot about that water will give same efect,when i drink water i stutttter to to to:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Campermad
13-12-2013, 18:03
Whats the process of changing the fuel filter ? Is it simple enough to get at and replace ?

trevskoda
13-12-2013, 19:00
Whats the process of changing the fuel filter ? Is it simple enough to get at and replace ?

if its a spin on type ,you will require a filter wrench ,cost about £2 ,its like a bit of motorbik chain with a pull bar with a we catch spike,just wind round filter-catch on spike then twist of anti clockwise.
if its the old bolt through type then unscrew bolt and its away,
remember you will have to bleed filter if manuel model,some newer engines self bleed.
rember to keep a few rags about can be a we bit mucky.
not knowing you model this is a rough guide only ,some others here might know your donkey and run it through with you.
by the way you will find filter in fuel line between fuel pump and the injector pump hope this helps:wacko::wacko::wacko:

Campermad
13-12-2013, 22:08
It helps alot thankyou very much

witzend
14-12-2013, 09:14
I'd not fancy going if van wasn't right to set off with as these problems usually get worse. So make sure you have breakdown insurance just in case.
Six in the van will they all have belted seats? or maybe not reqd

Burtie
14-12-2013, 10:17
Depending on which model it is the boxer had trouble with these pumps some have an electrical solenoid on the pump that breaks down this is a simple change usually you can test this by running a wire from the positive side of the battery to the contact on the solenoid but some pumps I believe have two internal springs which break over time then the pump needs to be taken off and repaired

Campermad
14-12-2013, 15:53
Im not happy its 3000 miles to les arcs and back but everything's paid for and ski'ing costs a fortune so were taking the risk :( its a big van and sits 6 with seat belts easy , had 14 people in it once on the way to my own wedding lol

Wooie1958
14-12-2013, 18:01
Im not happy its 3000 miles to les arcs and back but everything's paid for and ski'ing costs a fortune so were taking the risk :( its a big van and sits 6 with seat belts easy , had 14 people in it once on the way to my own wedding lol

You`re going to chance a 3,000 mile trip knowing full well there`s a problem ?

14 people in the van would have probably way overloaded it and shouldn`t have been on the road !

Laurieash
14-12-2013, 18:44
Start at the back and check fuel pipes that they are not wet. could be a small rust hole.
deffo filter change. any inline filters also.

invalid
14-12-2013, 22:37
As so many others have said, my money would be fuel filter, or water in fuel or fuel filter, you should be able to bleed the fuel filter as there should be a tap at bottom of filter to bleed.
If you are going to a colder region, and the problem is water based, it will freeze and get worse not better, you must sort before you go, if you break down in a bad spot, somewhere dangerous you’re not only risking your life but others to.

Campermad
15-12-2013, 09:17
Thanks for everybody's advice ive got a few days to get it done going to fit a new air filter today and hopefully change the fuel filter or bleed it :/

Bopper
15-12-2013, 10:33
You say it only stalls at tickover! If the engine will rev and keep going at 2000 rpm then it is not a fuel or filter problem. There is an engine management unit that operates a slow running device on the injector pump. This device is used as a "Choke" system and makes the engine run faster when cold and slows down the tickover speed when the engine warms up. If the engine runs OK when kept at 2000 rpm OR when the engine is hot, then there is the fault. On some engines you can adjust this unit by undoing a locknut and screwing out the bolt to speed up the slow running this will give you a temporary solution but you MUST remember that this will make the van move quicker when you let out the clutch.

Campermad
15-12-2013, 14:20
So if thats is the problem then i could just adjust the lever on the accelerator to keep the revs Around 2000 rpm ? Wont that do the same thing. Till i get back and get it garaged

shawbags
15-12-2013, 16:37
I would not do that , an over revving engine could catch you out at junctions ect , go through what people have advised and if its still no right I would think twice about going away in it especially in cold weather, I would say its fuel starvation as the engine and the heater are not working correctly ( if the heater is diesel )as already said check you clutch cable and always carry a spare as they do wear out .

Campermad
29-12-2013, 18:29
Yippee our motorhome once again performed amazing , a quick swap for a new fuel filter and it was tackling them hairpins in the alps as new , thanks for all the help we received in 2013, wish you all a happy new year :)

trevskoda
30-12-2013, 14:53
Yippee our motorhome once again performed amazing , a quick swap for a new fuel filter and it was tackling them hairpins in the alps as new , thanks for all the help we received in 2013, wish you all a happy new year :)

well i was right ,at least you have it sorted now,every day we all learn something new or should:wave::wave::wave::wave:

Rodeo
30-12-2013, 15:54
We certainly do! Iwould have put money on it being summat like the clutch cable!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS