PDA

View Full Version : Please get some

kenspain
13-12-2013, 14:15
Make sure you have medical insurance if your thinking of coming down here I have just spent 3 hours getting some one treatment over here, twice was refused treatment in two hospitals all they said that he is ok to fly home and get it there. He only came back over 3 weeks ago to pick up his motorhome because he was ill here and fly back for and operation lucky for him we found some were they treated him and now fills better, I am hearing of a few places that wont take the health card,:wave:

FULL TIMER
13-12-2013, 15:16
About time our hospitals and doctors did the same, why should we pay for foreigners treatments in our NHS maybe they should start with the Spanish visitors after all whats good for the goose, seriously though after the way the NHS has been abused by half the world it's about time it was compulsory for any visitors to have adequate Health insurance before being allowed into the country.

Sky
13-12-2013, 15:18
Couldn't agree more - I've always made sure I've had it when I've travelled. I've seen a few people come unstuck without it too. :(

barryd
13-12-2013, 15:32
It sounds like another avenue of coruption in Spain Holidaymakers warned as Spain blocks EHIC usage - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/travel/9960030/Holidaymakers-warned-as-Spain-blocks-EHIC-usage.html)

I am unsure how payment works though. Do foreign hospitals not send a bill to the NHS or is it just a reciprocal arrangement? If so can they not bill you and you can then claim it back from the NHS?

I can only speak from experience in Italy and France where on both occasions the EHIC card was accepted and treatment first class including a two trips in an ambulance and and treatment in two hospitals in Italy. We never had to pay anything.

Clearly Spain is getting down and dirty with just about everything. I suspect they will end up driving tourists away at this rate.

kenspain
13-12-2013, 15:37
About time our hospitals and doctors did the same, why should we pay for foreigners treatments in our NHS maybe they should start with the Spanish visitors after all whats good for the goose, seriously though after the way the NHS has been abused by half the world it's about time it was compulsory for any visitors to have adequate Health insurance before being allowed into the country.

Most of the Spanish that come over from the motorhome clubs here always get insurance. I always advice then to do so if asked

Seannachie
13-12-2013, 15:43
It sounds like another avenue of coruption in Spain Holidaymakers warned as Spain blocks EHIC usage - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/travel/9960030/Holidaymakers-warned-as-Spain-blocks-EHIC-usage.html)

I am unsure how payment works though. Do foreign hospitals not send a bill to the NHS or is it just a reciprocal arrangement? If so can they not bill you and you can then claim it back from the NHS?

I can only speak from experience in Italy and France where on both occasions the EHIC card was accepted and treatment first class including a two trips in an ambulance and and treatment in two hospitals in Italy. We never had to pay anything.

Clearly Spain is getting down and dirty with just about everything. I suspect they will end up driving tourists away at this rate.

Barry,

There's a country by country guide on how the system works HERE (http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/EEAcountries.aspx).

For Spain, it has this to say:

'Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access the necessary state-provided healthcare in Spain at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free when on a temporary stay. The Spanish health authority determines what treatment is considered necessary and cannot wait until your return to the UK.

The EHIC also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions, although it does not cover you if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment.'

And also this - note the caveat:

'State-provided healthcare is generally free of charge. However, in some parts of the country, particularly the outlying islands, you may have to travel some distance to find a state healthcare provider. If you need to call out a doctor in an emergency, make sure you have a valid EHIC and ask for state-funded healthcare.

Some hospitals and health centres (centro de salud) offer both private (privado) and state-provided healthcare (asistencia sanitaria pública) and it is up to you to inform them which service you require. They may also often have separate surgery times for private patients and those treated under the state system.

Generally, if you are asked to pay upfront, you are not being treated under the Spanish health service and your EHIC will not be accepted.

Important: your EHIC does not cover private treatment. Any costs incurred for private healthcare are non-refundable.

You should be particularly careful if healthcare arrangements are made by a hotel or travel representative. They might reassure visitors that they can claim back whatever is paid out, but they are referring to private insurance and not the treatment given under the EHIC.'

Seems that HMG and the NHS are well aware of the scams going on so best to keep one's wits about one (which can be difficult during a medical emergency).

barryd
13-12-2013, 16:02
Barry,

There's a country by country guide on how the system works HERE (http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/EEAcountries.aspx).

For Spain, it has this to say:

'Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access the necessary state-provided healthcare in Spain at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free when on a temporary stay. The Spanish health authority determines what treatment is considered necessary and cannot wait until your return to the UK.

The EHIC also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions, although it does not cover you if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment.'

And also this - note the caveat:

'State-provided healthcare is generally free of charge. However, in some parts of the country, particularly the outlying islands, you may have to travel some distance to find a state healthcare provider. If you need to call out a doctor in an emergency, make sure you have a valid EHIC and ask for state-funded healthcare.

Some hospitals and health centres (centro de salud) offer both private (privado) and state-provided healthcare (asistencia sanitaria pública) and it is up to you to inform them which service you require. They may also often have separate surgery times for private patients and those treated under the state system.

Generally, if you are asked to pay upfront, you are not being treated under the Spanish health service and your EHIC will not be accepted.

Important: your EHIC does not cover private treatment. Any costs incurred for private healthcare are non-refundable.

You should be particularly careful if healthcare arrangements are made by a hotel or travel representative. They might reassure visitors that they can claim back whatever is paid out, but they are referring to private insurance and not the treatment given under the EHIC.'

Seems that HMG and the NHS are well aware of the scams going on so best to keep one's wits about one (which can be difficult during a medical emergency).

Very clear and consise thanks

So the order of the day is to use the words asistencia sanitaria pública!

However as you mention this might not always be possible if your lying semi concious with an arm off or something!

Rockerboots
13-12-2013, 16:24
I think this situation is a tit for tat thing with reguard to what has been happening over Gibralter.

The Spanish are upset about Gib so in retaliation they are saying "Up yours" we`ll make it difficult for you in our health service.

Siimplyloco
13-12-2013, 16:29
However as you mention this might not always be possible if your lying semi concious with an arm off or something!

If my arm was hanging off then I think that I would be waving the plastic with the other!
John

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS