PDA

View Full Version : Stenna Irish ferries pricing bargain

Devadave
14-12-2013, 11:21
After much deliberation we have decided to go to Ireland on 14th June 2014, while searching for prices and grumbling at cost of taking 6mtr motorhome over there compared to Dover Calais, I found a little bit of info that I thought I should share with the group. :boat: :juggle::juggle::juggle:

I normally use the Holyhead to Dun Loughry or Dublin Port route which was coming out at 340 ish return I checked on the similar ferry route from Birkenhead to Belfast which is longer at 6 hours day crossing but 238 that's for 2 adults 6m van and obviously we don't pay for Uska the guide dog....:bow:

We are planning on over the top of Ireland round the west coast then back across 2 weeks later, I have done a similar route but on the Motor Bikes and coupled with NW200 race..

Little bit of advice for you, pay the stenna plus lounge access it's 10 extra but you get free coffee tea wine soft drinks and some yum yum biscuits :bow: I do on every trip when I go across to work in the South.

Any suggestions for visiting places, beaches etc en route would be very usefull as having a blind wife makes reading maps difficult :anyone:? Would like to visit some small villages to take my intake of the black stuff, local food and musicians?

Can anyone recommend wild camping advice or places so I can do some research beforehand... Thanks :bow: :cheers::boat:

And no I don't work for Stenna :drive::cool1::camper::have fun::anyone:

vespalien
14-12-2013, 11:26
When we tried booking on the Birkenhead crossing we were told they would not accept dogs because it was a long voyage. Now I fully understand the difference between guide dogs & pets, but were the company happy with your dog & how do you allow it to relieve itself on such a long passage?

Anyone else wanting to take a pet needs to make sure it is permitted, being turned away at boarding might be a bit of a bummer as a start to your holiday.

sasquatch
14-12-2013, 14:42
When dog passports came in,I was involved in discussions with P&O reference assistance dogs. Generally,depending on vessel and route,the dog either stays in the vehicle or on board kennels,I pointed out that this could be a breach of the Disability Discrimination Act,They have made some concessions but not enough.

vespalien
14-12-2013, 18:04
When dog passports came in,I was involved in discussions with P&O reference assistance dogs. Generally,depending on vessel and route,the dog either stays in the vehicle or on board kennels,I pointed out that this could be a breach of the Disability Discrimination Act,They have made some concessions but not enough.

That would be particularly disconcerting in the event of an emergency if unaccompanied, can you imagine the situation of a person with poor eyesight on an unfamiliar vessel with everyone running around, shouting, jostling for life jackets etc. Even with a seeing dog, the situation is grim. How would you find a life jacket & get it on & how would you know where you muster stations were?

Are partially sighted people assigned a member of staff to help them in the event of an emergency? They really should be shouldn't they? Funny how we never normally think of this stuff when we have adequate eyesight.

trevskoda
14-12-2013, 21:36
After much deliberation we have decided to go to Ireland on 14th June 2014, while searching for prices and grumbling at cost of taking 6mtr motorhome over there compared to Dover Calais, I found a little bit of info that I thought I should share with the group. :boat: :juggle::juggle::juggle:

I normally use the Holyhead to Dun Loughry or Dublin Port route which was coming out at 340 ish return I checked on the similar ferry route from Birkenhead to Belfast which is longer at 6 hours day crossing but 238 that's for 2 adults 6m van and obviously we don't pay for Uska the guide dog....:bow:

We are planning on over the top of Ireland round the west coast then back across 2 weeks later, I have done a similar route but on the Motor Bikes and coupled with NW200 race..

Little bit of advice for you, pay the stenna plus lounge access it's 10 extra but you get free coffee tea wine soft drinks and some yum yum biscuits :bow: I do on every trip when I go across to work in the South.

Any suggestions for visiting places, beaches etc en route would be very usefull as having a blind wife makes reading maps difficult :anyone:? Would like to visit some small villages to take my intake of the black stuff, local food and musicians?

Can anyone recommend wild camping advice or places so I can do some research beforehand... Thanks :bow: :cheers::boat:

And no I don't work for Stenna :drive::cool1::camper::have fun::anyone:

try cardonagh and the famin village,its in north doegall right beside nice sandy beach,,and loads of places to wild camp.

vespalien
14-12-2013, 21:49
The famine village is amazing & the guide we had was born in one of the cottages. Only problem we had was that it was throwing it down with rain when we were there.

They used to allow wild camping in the Famine village car park & lock the gates at night, but apparently someone had an emergency & went round knocking up all the locals, so now no-one is allowed to stay. My suggestion of not locking the gates just got a blank response - I got the impression that they always locked the gates, so why change! :lol-053:

Devadave
15-12-2013, 18:30
When we tried booking on the Birkenhead crossing we were told they would not accept dogs because it was a long voyage. Now I fully understand the difference between guide dogs & pets, but were the company happy with your dog & how do you allow it to relieve itself on such a long passage?

Anyone else wanting to take a pet needs to make sure it is permitted, being turned away at boarding might be a bit of a bummer as a start to your holiday.

We took Uska on the britany ferry from Santander to Uk ! Uska is trained to go for busy on command (toilet) on the long ferries they have an area to allow dogs to exercised and toilet...he can and does hold on all day if required, and the journey is only 6 hours. :heart: we do always consider his well being but he is a guide dog and without him Joanne would be stranded.

Devadave
20-12-2013, 10:02

we have been very well accommodated with the guide dog on all the ferries... dover calais, britany ferries..uska stays with her all the time I guess they took the advice of the DDA.... :dance:
"equal access and opportunity for all regardless of the disability" :dog::dog::dog:

trevskoda
20-12-2013, 10:07
The famine village is amazing & the guide we had was born in one of the cottages. Only problem we had was that it was throwing it down with rain when we were there.

They used to allow wild camping in the Famine village car park & lock the gates at night, but apparently someone had an emergency & went round knocking up all the locals, so now no-one is allowed to stay. My suggestion of not locking the gates just got a blank response - I got the impression that they always locked the gates, so why change! :lol-053:

you could have camped at the beach free or moved around the cost a bit no one will other you.

Viktor
20-12-2013, 11:47
You might be interested to take a look at www.motorhomecraic.com (http://www.motorhomecraic.com) too. Merry Christmas.

Devadave
22-12-2013, 21:55
You might be interested to take a look at www.motorhomecraic.com (http://www.motorhomecraic.com) too. Merry Christmas.

thanks for that have joined and now have POI for wilding in Ireland... toot toot.. :dance::dance::dance::camper:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS