PDA

View Full Version : dehumidfier

chrisinbrighton
15-12-2013, 13:06
Anyone had experience with something like this was thinking it can't do anyharm
New: Mini Dehumidifier Dehumidifies Cars Caravans Cupboards Safes Bathrooms | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190801744280?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

goffer
15-12-2013, 13:12
Yes they work a treat, used them for the past 5 years, they work for about 1 month before recharging but it depends on the air current within your van
Goffer

maingate
15-12-2013, 13:14
Anyone had experience with something like this was thinking it can't do anyharm
New: Mini Dehumidifier Dehumidifies Cars Caravans Cupboards Safes Bathrooms | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190801744280?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

Do you think your van is damp? If not I would not bother.

There is always some dampness in the atmosphere over Winter and as a van is not hermetically sealed there will always be fresh air getting in.

All I do is to put 2 or 3 bowls of salt around the van to absorb moisture, When it gets crusty I dry them on a radiator in the house, mash them up and put them ack in the van. I use an oil filled radiator on a timer and set to a low heat to take the chill off but only in the worst of Winter. Even that is not really necessary.

Frances
15-12-2013, 13:27
Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Rechargeable Mini Dehumidifier - 2 Pack Set (http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B001P478OG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1)

There seem to be quite a few reviews on Amazon for these. I thought I'd get one from ebay when you posted the link, but its that long since I've used ebay I've forgotten all my login details and can't be bothered to set it all up again.

chrisinbrighton
15-12-2013, 13:50

There is always some dampness in the atmosphere over Winter and as a van is not hermetically sealed there will always be fresh air getting in.

All I do is to put 2 or 3 bowls of salt around the van to absorb moisture, When it gets crusty I dry them on a radiator in the house, mash them up and put them ack in the van. I use an oil filled radiator on a timer and set to a low heat to take the chill off but only in the worst of Winter. Even that is not really necessary.

I was thinking of more when using the van to keep any damp or condensation down

maingate
15-12-2013, 15:44
It should help but it would depend where you place it. Usually the cab area is the worst because the warm moist air touches the cold glass and deposits the water vapour. There is no harm in trying it though.

I carry a small sponge in the glove compartment to periodically mop the cab glass and wring the sponge out. If you can, leave the 2 cab windows cracked open to get a small through draught, it makes a difference. A microfibre cloth is also very good for the same purpose.

Tbear
15-12-2013, 15:50
I was thinking of more when using the van to keep any damp or condensation down

External screens and ventilation will work much better when the van is in use.

Richard

shawbags
15-12-2013, 16:24
Are the little boxes with crystals just as good and cheaper ?

chrisinbrighton
15-12-2013, 16:30
ok I suppose but if one has children or dogs in the van it must be something sealed.
I used to use the little sachets of silicon or what you call it that comes with electrical equipment but they don't last.

maingate
15-12-2013, 16:48
Are the little boxes with crystals just as good and cheaper ?

Yes, I tried one of them a couple of years ago. I think the wife got it from the Pound Shop (or similar).

Motorhomelover
15-12-2013, 19:59

In winter it's the moisture in our breath that give problems of damp
Any thing is better than nothing
Stop breathing is not an option

Then the kettle. Boiling pans cooking shower all give more moisture
Good ventilation is needed but that means more cold

So good luck combating the moisture in winter problem

I bugger off to Spain for give months. No damp now lol

Fazerloz
15-12-2013, 20:16
You can buy 1kg bags of silica gel cheaper on ebay and reuse by putting in the oven for a while to dry out

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS