PDA

View Full Version : Further Astra 2E Update

John Thompson
15-12-2013, 14:59
Further Astra 2E Update

For some unknown reason the Astra 2E satellite is still sitting at it's test location of 43.5 East even though testing was completed a couple of weeks ago. However the satellite operators SES issued a statement which is as follows:-

"As part of SES' ongoing fleet renewal programme, we will be transferring all the UK Spot Beam transponders currently operating on ASTRA 1N across to ASTRA 2E.

This move at the 28.2/28.5ºEast orbital location will take place over several weeks beginning early February 2014.

The transfer will have no adverse implications for viewers in the UK and Ireland as the affected channels will continue to operate on the same frequencies and will be broadcast at the same, or slightly improved power levels, across the UK and Ireland.

TV viewers outside the UK and Ireland may see an impact and may not be able to receive channels from ASTRA 2E UK Spot Beam, which has a smaller footprint than ASTRA 1N. The new footprint on SES' replacement fleet has been designed to meet the requirements of UK and Irish broadcasters who target their channels for distribution in the UK and/or Ireland. UK and Irish broadcasters hold broadcasting rights only for the UK and/or Ireland but not for other countries."

So for reasons only known to SES they are waiting for around 3 months to make the move to 28.2 East and to put the satellite into operation. It begs the question which many are asking "Do they have a problem?" We have plenty of time to wait and see.

BBC Entertainment is also available on Eurobird Satellite at 9º East. Frequency 11996 MHz Vertical polarisation. To get this in Spain you will need a 1m dish and a digital box with Viaccess slot and a BBC Entertainment descrambling card which costs about £100. Now say its not about making money.

invalid
15-12-2013, 15:17
Well try as you may to get away from being screwed by someone, you can’t hide, they’ll find you, I often wonder how far off grid one would have to go to get away from the greed of others?

Siimplyloco
15-12-2013, 17:37
Further Astra 2E Update

BBC Entertainment is also available on Eurobird Satellite at 9º East. Frequency 11996 MHz Vertical polarisation. To get this in Spain you will need a 1m dish and a digital box with Viaccess slot and a BBC Entertainment descrambling card which costs about £100. Now say its not about making money.

What has always puzzled me about receiving BBC programmes abroad is that it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man - and well within the brains of the boffins at the BBC - to give us the facility to enter our TV Licence number onto their website and get some content via internet or satellite. But that's too easy isn't it?
John

trevskoda
15-12-2013, 18:05
What has always puzzled me about receiving BBC programmes abroad is that it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man - and well within the brains of the boffins at the BBC - to give us the facility to enter our TV Licence number onto their website and get some content via internet or satellite. But that's too easy isn't it?
John

hi you can get all bbc itv etc on web for free no lic required as they are 20 mins behind ,thought most people new this.

John Thompson
15-12-2013, 18:24
hi you can get all bbc itv etc on web for free no lic required as they are 20 mins behind ,thought most people new this.

Internet is OK but while touring it is not possible to hog an internet connection to watch TV. Dongles or WiFi are what most of us have and they are not fast connections.

When this happens I will be cancelling my TV licence for the time I am out of the UK, usually 6 months.

Siimplyloco
15-12-2013, 18:26

Yes, like most people I do know this: I was merely commenting on the avarice of the BBC....
John

witzend
15-12-2013, 18:31
You need a TV licence to view TV in any property in the UK whether you have a TV or not if there's anything in the property to watch TV you need a licence computer or what have you, Thought everyone Knew that

Siimplyloco
15-12-2013, 18:35
You need a TV licence to view TV in any property in the UK whether you have a TV or not if there's anything in the property to watch TV you need a licence computer or what have you, Thought everyone Knew that

Apparently, the Licence authorises you to receive 'Broadcast Transmissions', which means live transmissions. Delayed input to your computer is not covered by the legislation so no licence is required: it is alleged....
John

witzend
15-12-2013, 18:40
When this happens I will be cancelling my TV licence for the time I am out of the UK, usually 6 months.
Quoted from #5 above

Let us know how you get on with that John I think you need a licence for the property whether your there or not.

I've thought of this myself and read as much as I can and don't think there's a way around it but would love to be wrong

iveco4x4
15-12-2013, 19:16
The rules as I understand them (and i've spoken to the licensing authority) is

1. If you have receiving equipment but its not connected to a receiver then no license is needed so you can plug your TV into a computer and thats fine.

2. Caveat to 1 - if you then use an internet site that 'broadcasts' its TV output as some do then you need a TV license to watch the broadcast

3. If you watch on demand content then thats fine because its not boadcast. That is the crux of the definition, on demand v brodcast rather than the delivery medium these days

I have a TV connected to a PC for on demand and DVD watching , no TV license because I do not watch broadcast TV

Rich

Siimplyloco
15-12-2013, 19:33
The rules as I understand them (and i've spoken to the licensing authority) are SNIP

Rich

A good concise post. More details here from Moneysaving expert.com.
TV licence: Do I need a TV licence? - Money Saving Expert (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence)
John

Motorhomelover
15-12-2013, 19:36
The rules as I understand them (and i've spoken to the licensing authority) is

1. If you have receiving equipment but its not connected to a receiver then no license is needed so you can plug your TV into a computer and thats fine.

2. Caveat to 1 - if you then use an internet site that 'broadcasts' its TV output as some do then you need a TV license to watch the broadcast

3. If you watch on demand content then thats fine because its not boadcast. That is the crux of the definition, on demand v brodcast rather than the delivery medium these days

I have a TV connected to a PC for on demand and DVD watching , no TV license because I do not watch broadcast TV

Rich
Not sure just how you prove your not getting broadcasts when the knock at the door says you have equipment running and Np license on record
It's the court you have to convince not me

Andys
15-12-2013, 19:50
We have an old Oyster system previously had to tune to Astra 1 and then fine tune. Last week we were out tune to Astra 1 as normal and we picked up sky.
Don't know if this will last
Andy

iveco4x4
15-12-2013, 22:06
Not sure just how you prove your not getting broadcasts when the knock at the door says you have equipment running and Np license on record
It's the court you have to convince not me

They have no right of entry. I even have a sky dish and a tv arial on the house (both withcut wires) but i rang them up and threatened them with legal action if they didn't cease and desist on sending me letters including one that looked like a court summons but wasn't.

I politely invited them to come round and inspect the setup i have but they declined saying thats not how they operated but not a letter since. ( 2 years now)

Rich

Tezza33
15-12-2013, 22:18
They have no right of access and a TV licence is not law so the Police are not interested, if you allow them in to your property or give them your name they have more chance of prosecuting you, you don't need to tell them your name if they knock on the door just tell them to go away, the more information you give them the more chance they have of making you pay, tell them nothing.

After saying that I would point out I pay mine :o but I frequent forums that tell you not to

John Thompson
16-12-2013, 11:35
Quoted from #5 above

Let us know how you get on with that John I think you need a licence for the property whether your there or not.

I've thought of this myself and read as much as I can and don't think there's a way around it but would love to be wrong

We have always tried to do things legally. We are full timing and have a licence that is associated with the Motorhome not a property. They have the vehicle Reg No. where the address should be. We do not have a UK residence, just a contact address, so need the licence for the vehicle to comply with UK legislation.

If you have a property in the UK with a TV licence and you have a TV receiver in your Motorhome it is covered by the licence for the property provided that the equipment in the property is not being used at the same time. If you are recording at home to watch later and using the set in the van then technically a licence is also required for the set in the van.

As you only need a TV licence within the UK you can cancel the licence when you leave and renew it on return. We Travel abroad for 6 months in a year and have left the licence in place as we are receiving the transmissions abroad. If I cannot get the transmissions then why continue to support the system.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS