PDA

View Full Version : New Member - How To Use POIs On the Road

Davy
15-12-2013, 17:20
Just joined and downloaded the POIs. They look good in Autoroute on my desktop PC.
But when travelling I have my satnav and Android tab computer and I cant see a practical way of using POIs with either.
The satnav is too clumsy with POIs - its a routing device not a mapping device. Nor does it display any useful comments associated with the POI. For instance it might show a POI about 20 miles away which might be beside a lake (good) or in a car park (bad). I cant find out how good or bad until I get there.
None of the mapping sofware I have on Android allows import of POIs - except MemoryMap but that shows all POI classes with the same colour flag - so not useful.
Google Earth might be better but my Android is 2.2 so cant use; and I would need internet access which I usually dont have on the road.

So what processes to people find are practical?
thanks in advance, Davy

antiquesam
15-12-2013, 17:45
I've got Google Earth on my Android phone and installed Dropbox. I've dropped the POI's into dropbox and can see them on Google Earth by just zooming in. Alternatively if you use your phone as a wifi router you can use a laptop. Don't discount car parks though, I've stopped in fantastic car parks in nature reserves and in the middle of no where with fantastic views.

Kontiki
15-12-2013, 18:41
Unfortunately the only way to tell what a POI is like is by going there, you can view it as much as you like on your device but there is no substitute for stopping there. Some unlikely spots can be really great. Personally I always try to have a couple of alternate places as a backup. As the places are submitted by other wildcampers then what they consider a good place to stop you might find totally unsuitable.
On my TomTom I have it warn me of a Poi's within a mile of where I am at the time.

invalid
15-12-2013, 19:16
Google Earth on laptop, gives a good idea what the surroundings are like, tom tom on the road, there is a well recommended chap on here for a tom tom, havenít got one from him myself but other post highly about his service.

wineciccio
15-12-2013, 20:06
With my tom tom start 60 I can just zoom in and see exactly where the poi is. I would suggest you change your gps.:shag:

Davy
16-12-2013, 09:13
Not good news; the responses so far recommend:

buy a laptop
buy a newer tab computer which has later version of Android which supports Google Earth
buy a mobile phone data package to go online so can see Google Earth
buy a better satnav that displays better mapping

This free wildcamping is going to be expensive!! ;)

Caz
16-12-2013, 09:17
That's why we have to wild camp - can't afford campsites by the time we've bought all the gizmos.

flyinghigh
16-12-2013, 09:33
Fairytooth is the member that does the Tom Toms with a complete database if you are a member,
I purchased one last month and must say it works extremely well,
I am not on commission just a satisfied customer,

Davy
16-12-2013, 11:00
Fairytooth is the member that does the Tom Toms with a complete database if you are a member,
I purchased one last month and must say it works extremely well,
I am not on commission just a satisfied customer,

When I paid my subscription it entitled me to download the POI set which included the POI set for my satnav - TomTom Go 720. Is Fairytooth offering more than that?

jagmanx
05-04-2014, 07:12
Just joined and downloaded the POIs. They look good in Autoroute on my desktop PC.
But when travelling I have my satnav and Android tab computer and I cant see a practical way of using POIs with either.
The satnav is too clumsy with POIs - its a routing device not a mapping device. Nor does it display any useful comments associated with the POI. For instance it might show a POI about 20 miles away which might be beside a lake (good) or in a car park (bad). I cant find out how good or bad until I get there.
None of the mapping sofware I have on Android allows import of POIs - except MemoryMap but that shows all POI classes with the same colour flag - so not useful.
Google Earth might be better but my Android is 2.2 so cant use; and I would need internet access which I usually dont have on the road.

So what processes to people find are practical?
thanks in advance, Davy
Maps withmepro...fairly cheap
uses android GPS
You can annotate waypoints
Create in Google Earth on PC then copy across
You do not nee T'internet

Obanboy666
05-04-2014, 08:09
Got POI's on the lot, Garmin satnav, ipad, mac and iphone.

Use google earth and dropbox so can view the POI's and zoom in to look at local area and use street view.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS