PDA

View Full Version : Battery life on a wildcamp ?

Penny13
16-12-2013, 13:22
Ok dealer has just told me to be able to wildcamp for three nights off of batteries I need to mains charge for 48 hrs plus first !
I have two 110 batteries and a 150 solar panel !
Also charging of the alternator whilst driving not the same as hook up charge !
Brand new batteries solar panel and van !
Thank you ;)

Sharon the Cat
16-12-2013, 13:27
He obviously thinks you'll be running the sauna, jacuzzi & onboard tumble drier all night.

Tbear
16-12-2013, 13:37
He obviously thinks you'll be running the sauna, jacuzzi & onboard tumble drier all night.

And the hair drier and microwave all day.

We survive on one 85ah

Richard

Wooie1958
16-12-2013, 13:39
How long is a piece of string ?

That`s the same sort of statement.

It all depends on how much you use.

Whilst some people will go several days or longer without any problems, other would struggle to go more than a day or so.

chrisinbrighton
16-12-2013, 13:42
I have 2 x 100 ah batteries and a 180 watt solar panel I can easily survive weeks without ehu and using the 350w inverter for power tools ect

Pearljade
16-12-2013, 13:45
Hello, you have the same wattage panel as us and the same size batteries.

Hopefully you will get a lot more than three days if you are careful on your usage:)

Penny13
16-12-2013, 14:02
Yes how long is a piece of string !
Diesel heating on, one light, charge a phone, one shower a day !
Boil kettle to wash up, don't watch telly use ipad !
But a hook up charge is needed how often ? How long ?

chrisinbrighton
16-12-2013, 14:07
Penny in total that's probably consumption i'd use would think you would get by without an EHU specialy if you move about every few days and have a split charge relay to charge your leisure batteries whilst driving I too have diesel heating on low all night

vindiboy
16-12-2013, 14:13
We manage months on end with two 110 amp hr batteries and 100 watt solar and. Moving the van every few days wild camping in France Spain and Portugal. I have a 600 watt inverter which we use at times too so you should not have trouble with your set up with reasonable use of appliances .tv, lights water pump blown Aire fans atc.

Penny13
16-12-2013, 14:26
I was fine in the later part of summer with solar panel and no heating on ? I do move about on hook up at my sons if not ? If away for a long time would try to get on hook up once a week !

MORGANTHEMOON
16-12-2013, 14:27
Yes but it's that bloody rabbit drawing all the powewr Penny!

maxi77
16-12-2013, 14:31
An awful lot does depend on what you actually use, and the sensible thing is to do a power budget, working out you consumption in ampere hours for 24 hours. Your 2 110 amp/H batteries will safely give you only 110 ampere hours of consumption if fully charged and about 90 if only charged to 90% which is the max you can expect from the alternator unless you have a smart alternator controller of some kind. 3 days is quite do-able but it does depend on how much you use. I used to get by for a week on my boat with only 80 ampere hours of battery but then I used very little. In my van at present I would hope to last about 48 hours before needing a charge and have run for a week with just a few hours driving each day but I do have 100% led lighting.

Amethyst
16-12-2013, 14:39
Penny...we have the same set up as you and very seldom hook up. Would suggest you get the batteries tested as we

had to have one of ours changed under guarantee earlier in the year.

Rob

rolandrat
16-12-2013, 15:06
Penny has mentioned that she has a diesel heating system in her van so when it's being used it can hammer the batteries. Diesel heaters are well noted for it At this time of the year solar panels struggle because of short days and poor sunlight.

chrisinbrighton
16-12-2013, 15:11
Penny has mentioned that she has a diesel heating system in her van so when it's being used it can hammer the batteries. Diesel heaters are well noted for it At this time of the year solar panels struggle because of short days and poor sunlight.

if one uses an MTTP controller it squeezes and uses that much more of the suns energy into the batteries even this time of year I have monocrystaline panel which are supposed to be better than polycrytsaline

spigot
16-12-2013, 16:47
Penny,
Get your system checked out, we have 2 x 85ah batteries & 2 x 40w solar panels & can survive for weeks on end.

We never go near campsites.

Mike.

DTDog
16-12-2013, 17:25
Ok dealer has just told me to be able to wildcamp for three nights off of batteries I need to mains charge for 48 hrs plus first !
I have two 110 batteries and a 150 solar panel !
Also charging of the alternator whilst driving not the same as hook up charge !
Brand new batteries solar panel and van !
Thank you ;)

We normally 'Wild' and just stop overnight and then move on (charging the battery as I drive), so I have not been able to tell what the life of my 110amp battery was.
However, last weekend I was asked to help out with my old caravan club (they needed a driver for a minibus to take people to Lincoln Christmas Market!!). I turned up on Thursday night and stayed until Sunday afternoon and when not chatting and catching up with old friends, watched as much TV as I could. I was half expecting the battery to show signs of running low (telly losing signal when I turned a tap on etc) but no problems at all even though the blown air heater was running from the time I got there to the time I left.

Pleasantly surprised.

Beemer
17-12-2013, 13:04
We have two 115Ah and one 110Ah leisure batteries, all charged by engine/240/100w solar panel, the 110Ah battery is used purely for the TV and not connected to the other two.
Our heating is gas blown , and we are fully LED lit, some 12v others battery with PIR (PIR light in loo and by the habitation door).
We have gone weeks with the occaisional ehu stopover.

john t
17-12-2013, 18:08
Whats ehu...Only kidding, we have an 85battery and a 120 solar panel, spent weeks and weeks away in it all year and have never needed to go to a site for recharging the batteries. Infact we have never been on a site since we started wildcamping years back with a tent etc.! seems to me you need to go away and do some testing/research on a few days away, and don't be afraid to use your stuff, not sure, but did you mean an electric kettle...If so, i'm not sure how your using that off ehu.!!

jt

Penny13
17-12-2013, 19:27
Wow so much info, electric kettle only on hook up lol
I will get them checked but after a 48 hour charge things improved :)
Moon your in trouble I found it :( ;)
Thank you all ...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS