PDA

View Full Version : Security

Rodeo
16-12-2013, 19:32
Been a few threads mentioning van security,so apologies if been done previously....was wondering if anyone has any comments ...I will build, as opposed to buy ,a system..
Does anyone alarm the doors/windows(or the roof vent)whilst in ,or out of the van?
What about putting deadlocks on the doors when leaving it?(or maybe basic house type bolts on the inside when sleeping?)
Motion sensor in the van?
battery cut off when leaving it?

Rodeo
16-12-2013, 19:48
A very helpful post that!

johnmac185
16-12-2013, 19:50
Dog with big white teeth,

also machette

also fire extinquisher primed and ready

runnach
16-12-2013, 20:00
I did this diy setup to cab door, LHD Dethleffs, of which, there are only two doors, cab/hab at rear. Earlier this year I installed one of those Fiamma thingies, which locks externally over hab door.

Basically, all I was doing was add a deterrent, if one want's in, they will.

Cheers............

yorkslass
16-12-2013, 20:15
steering lock and habitation door cover for visual deterent. and deadlocks fitted to cab doors, but as said previously if they want in it"s difficult to stop them. I have unruly hair so never go anywhere without harspray:)

n brown
16-12-2013, 20:36
this has all been done before,and it's each to his own. I use whatever locks the latest van comes with,knowing that any reasonably determined thief can be in through a window in seconds ,using a spring punch or whatever,and won't care about the noise of the alarm because he knows that by the time anybody reacts he'll be gone, I use common sense instead and avoid leaving my van in isolated or dodgy places.better to leave it in built up places or where people/other vans are,even if it means walking further.
in lots of tears in different and sometimes very dodgy places we only ever got robbed of a towel we left on the line and some toddler shoes covered in dog ****poo
never been gassed,had a guy step in the van once,saw me and as I was saying eff off he did. I would say,in fact I keep saying,the best defence is to look at your setup as a thief would, and BE AWARE of people and cars around you.if you see someone dodgy ,catch his eye-let him know he's spotted,take his picture,they hate that !
it takes a very special kind of thief to get in a van where he knows people are,an incredibly dangerous thing to do,how can he know what he might be stepping into ? I'm sure it's an extremely rare occurrence and it's certainly has never kept me awake ! saying that,if I'm parked somewhere a bit isolated and it feels wrong,even if I'm in bed i'll get up and drive off.i've probably only ever done this half a dozen times,but I never hesitated to follow my instincts,i have a lot of faith in my sense of self preservation !

vespalien
16-12-2013, 21:15
"The wilder the spot, the safer you are", is not an unreasonable assumption. We stay away from popular spots, or from near the centres of towns & resorts if we can. Basically avoid places where you will be seen by idle passing no-hopers who might see you as a target. The same applies to busy motorway overnight locations.

Groups of vans together do not offer security, but attract opportunist thieves who are likely to just try a few vans on spec. Lots of visible security precautions draw attention & suggest that you may have something worth stealing or feel insecure. If people don't know that you are there, no-one will bother you & you won't even need locks.

chrisinbrighton
16-12-2013, 21:26
Has anyone though of setting up cctv or an IP cam even if activated by motion sensor then at least the buggers will be recorded and may get caught. Then again are the police that interested ?

Sharon the Cat
17-12-2013, 08:02
I considered one of those Fiamma over habitation door bar thingies (mainly to hang onto to get up the step!).
But as you have to be outside the van to put them across, doesn't it merely advertise the fact from a distance that no-one is inside?

Siimplyloco
17-12-2013, 08:15
I considered one of those Fiamma over habitation door bar thingies (mainly to hang onto to get up the step!).
But as you have to be outside the van to put them across, doesn't it merely advertise the fact from a distance that no-one is inside?

I fitted a Milenco high security lock to the caravan. Smart, secure, and can be locked from the inside. Bought on ebay for less than 40 quid! The Hymer has a double turn yale lock, but I suppose the door is strong enough to support that fitment.

Security Door Lock | Milenco Limited | Caravan Products | Caravan Security | UK (http://www.milenco.com/products/security-door-locks/security-door-lock/)
John

Sharon the Cat
17-12-2013, 08:32
I fitted a Milenco high security lock to the caravan. Smart, secure, and can be locked from the inside. Bought on ebay for less than 40 quid! The Hymer has a double turn yale lock, but I suppose the door is strong enough to support that fitment.

Security Door Lock | Milenco Limited | Caravan Products | Caravan Security | UK (http://www.milenco.com/products/security-door-locks/security-door-lock/)
John

That looks good. Not sure if we have room though.
I'll have to ask him that uses the drill properly to have a look.

runnach
17-12-2013, 11:34

Not necessarily, however, my hab door is split door type. All the handle/lock is, is another hurdle.

If anyone wants to screw my van, I want them to work for what may be inside!!

I should add, I also fitted a safe, again, another deterrent.

chrisinbrighton
17-12-2013, 11:48
Not necessarily, however, my hab door is split door type. All the handle/lock is, is another hurdle.

If anyone wants to screw my van, I want them to work for what may be inside!!

I should add, I also fitted a safe, again, another deterrent.

I fitted a safe in my last van that was prized off the floor and taken when i was burgled . they know if you have a safe then there must be valubles in it. My safe now is under the dogs bed he's not vicious but any would be attackers at night would think twice

n brown
17-12-2013, 11:51
those fiamma handles work as a deterrent alright,i've seen a good few cases where the owners can't open them,let alone the tea leaves !

vespalien
17-12-2013, 14:16
those fiamma handles work as a deterrent alright,i've seen a good few cases where the owners can't open them,let alone the tea leaves !

That would be my fear. Alarms, locks and chains always cause more hassle to legitimate owners that to thieves cos the thieves don't mind smashing stuff to get in, but we really don't want to damage our pride and joy.

flyinghigh
17-12-2013, 14:30
I fitted four of these locks to my Adria, the hab one can be operated both inside/outside, the passenger door only from inside and both garage doors slide and lock from the outside,
Also fitted a safe under the floor , and the usual alarm system that you can turn of the internal sensors
When you are sleeping,

Verrou à Commande Intérieure & Serrure Porte Cellule - IMC Créations - Inducteurs, verrou camping-car, porte vignette assurance, clé Gaz (http://www.imc-creations.fr/Verrou-Cellule)

Very good quality locks that should make a tea leaf look else were for his income,

runnach
17-12-2013, 16:03

Poor maintenance Mr Broon, poor maintenance!!

hextal
18-12-2013, 16:12
You can get a gps tracker for 30 quid, a 10 quid sim. They work really well and come with trigger inputs. Hook a trigger input to the cab light wiring (so that as soon as any door is opened it will trigger) and i suspect you have a good system for not much cash.

As others have said though it wont really stop anyone as such just let you know afterwards.

waddington
18-12-2013, 17:53
Hi I have a fiamma door lock but I also put the seat belts through the cab doors, still easy to get out in an emergency but just means you can't use the main door, not a problem at night.

Photophil
18-12-2013, 17:55
I have a white Russian Cold War gas mask. If anyone comes snooping I just pop it on and open the curtains!

Tezza33
18-12-2013, 17:58
I have a white Russian Cold War gas mask. If anyone comes snooping I just pop it on and open the curtains!No fear of gas attacks either :lol-049:

hextal
18-12-2013, 18:54
I have a white Russian Cold War gas mask. If anyone comes snooping I just pop it on and open the curtains!

On a semi serious (and tangential) note - some old gas masks contain asbestos in the filters so may be worth a check.

MORGANTHEMOON
18-12-2013, 23:20
Daiboy did a good job on his van before heading overseas.
alarmed every window with small stand alone alarms that flash, a great deterent and low cost.
He also put extra locks on the doors.

Sharon the Cat
19-12-2013, 05:22
From what I've just read I think we'll forget about alarms and locks, we'll just invite Morgan the Moon to come on our trips.

oldish hippy
19-12-2013, 05:34
just tie a large dog collar with length of rope on door handle

Sharon the Cat
19-12-2013, 07:05
just tie a large dog collar with length of rope on door handle

And then the low-lifes might think "Well someone's already nicked the dog, I'll see what's worth having from inside the van."

bluejet
19-12-2013, 08:21

We have one of those & I've often thought the same thing. Toying with the idea of removing it & blanking off the remaining holes somehow, then replacing with something I can lock/unlock from inside.
I've read a lot of people put seat belts through cab door handles. What about when Johnny Scumbag smashes a window & cuts through the belts to get in?
Surely that adds insult to injury when you can't drive because you have no seat belts.
Would'nt a long chain or wire cable be better?

big tom
19-12-2013, 09:45
Self Installed-Hymer S700 just one door (Barn Type) with two Yale locks plus the original and a proximity switch, all windows have a proximity switch with flashing led when alarmed, on the dash a switch that triggers the alarm and a rotating red light on the roof, a switch over the sink that does the same, a motion sensor by the wardrobe that covers the skylights we can still get to the bathroom at night without activating the alarm, the red light on the roof can be switched on independently in case of breakdown, the boot has a proximity switch, the flashing led’s can be switched on without arming the alarm but don’t do this much. I know the flashing red light on the roof is not the right colour it should be orange but it was all I had at the time, the sounder is fitted inside the fridge vent out of the weather. Why all this I just had a bit of time to spare,in retrospect although the stetup works fine we do not use it in full mode at night as it can atract to much attention, we usualy do that in the day time such as when in the supermarket.

Sky
19-12-2013, 10:16
A simple, low-cost solution for security whilst sleeping is to use webbing ratchet straps.

I loop one through the door handles in the cab and one on the hab door to to the grab rail inside.

Cost under a tenner and are quick release in an emergency. :)

flyinghigh
19-12-2013, 11:00
But unfortunately easily cut with a Stanley knife, a wire rope or chain would make it more difficult for them,
Also the cost of replacing a pair of cut belts would be in £100plus

flyinghigh
19-12-2013, 11:04
Verrou à Commande Intérieure & Serrure Porte Cellule - IMC Créations - Inducteurs, verrou camping-car, porte vignette assurance, clé Gaz (http://www.imc-creations.fr/Verrou-Cellule)
Do a locking bar between doors on the fiat Ducati and renault traffic/master, will also work as a strong visual deterrent ,

oldish hippy
19-12-2013, 11:50
just convert a armoured car cash wagon

Sky
19-12-2013, 11:52
But unfortunately easily cut with a Stanley knife

True, but they'd have to get in first. :ninja:

jennyp19
19-12-2013, 12:40
I must admit when we first got our MH I didn't like the idea of only one door, no drivers or passengers doors, but while we have been away I have felt much safer/happier because of it. When we leave the van, we close the blinds, turn the seats round and drop the front bed. Any would be thief then, 1, hasn't any idea what he may get, and 2 if he does get in has to contend with shifting stuff to get inside - makes it difficult to get in the front with the bed down. Plus, the alarm that is on its is quite painful to hear, as I know when I have advertently set the b thing off. At night we have a bar across the door, so someone would really have to force the door open, and we prop the table top against it, so if anyone did happen to get in it would drop and clatter as well. We also don't park and leave the MH in obscure places. Awareness is your most important safety precaution.

When we had self build, we used to have bolts on the inside doors, and drilled a hole in the front door frames, and slotted a six inch nail in the window jamb, easy to pull out if we needed to get out of the van in a hurry, but if anyone attempted to open doors, it sort of jammed and was difficult to open. Cheap & extremely effective. A few of you will know that we did have someone break in while we were asleep - they obviously knew what they were doing, as they just punched a small hole under the door handle and opened the door - luckily I heard them, and when I shouted they just shut the door and b'd off.
It certainly made John aware that it could happen, and it wasn't me being paranoid - as you can imagine he didn't hear the last of it for a very long time.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS