PDA

View Full Version : hot battery



seadogjon
20-12-2013, 11:13
we went on hook up yesterday ,friends drive to escape weather and not so good battery,was woken in night by a foul smell,kind of sour gas rotten eggy,it came and went a few times..felt the battery this morning ,very hot.can rest a hand on it ,just,i wondered how hot they get when on ehu and charging..any suggestions?

Deleted user 21925
20-12-2013, 11:17
we went on hook up yesterday ,friends drive to escape weather and not so good battery,was woken in night by a foul smell,kind of sour gas rotten eggy,it came and went a few times..felt the battery this morning ,very hot.can rest a hand on it ,just,i wondered how hot they get when on ehu and charging..any suggestions?

Get it checked straight away. Batteries can explode in a big way. This is probably Hydrogen gas and do not let anything spark nearby!!!

Deleted user 21925
20-12-2013, 11:22
This is usually caused by overcharging and the battery boils. May not be the battery at fault, rather the charger.

Suffolk
20-12-2013, 11:36
your battery will only do this when its being overcharged, ive never known one to do it in any other circumstance, was it being charged at the time?

Tbear
20-12-2013, 11:41
Yes, I agree with Rob. Your battery is boiling which is very dangerous so needs to be disconnected from mains charger ASAP.

Richard

steco1958
20-12-2013, 11:50
It could be caused by 2 things, faulty Battery (Low water) or faulty Battery Charger.

In most instances it is the charger that does not switch to low/trickle charge, this being the case it will boil the water away in the battery leaving just the Acid, and this is what you can smell.

Get charger checked, you will also probably need a new battery.

Steve

Bopper
20-12-2013, 11:59
In very simple terms a battery charger will send a full charge limit to a battery when first connected and then respond to the amount of power that it receives back from the battery. If the battery sucks up all the charge then the charger will continue with full power. As the battery sends back information that the amount being sent is too much and cannot be absorbed then the charger reduces the amount of power sent. This continues until the battery says 'that's it I've had enough' and then the power out from the charger is just a trickle of power to keep it at that level (Trickle charge). The charger in your case is not responding to the signal that the battery is full and has continued to pump out a full charge thereby cooking the battery, the battery literally boils and the result is an acid vapour leaks out of the vent holes into the van, this vapour is explosive and will cause tremendous damage to property and even life.

Please... this is a simplistic explanation, it's meant for non teccy people.

ricc
20-12-2013, 12:02
if the water has boiled out of a normal lead acid battery you can partially resusitate it by adding water, should be a row of 6 screw caps in the top of the battery, remove them and carefully add water to each cell until the liquid just completely covers the lead plates. ideally use distilled water, but i always just bung good old tap water in.. you might not get full battery capacity back but tis worth trying to see how it performs... and get the charger repaired or switch it off as soon as the hydrogen gas starts to bubble up in the battery cells.

as others have said a hydrogen will explode... a stream of sparks from a grinder is an easy way to spread a charging battery around the workshop.:cry:

Tezza33
20-12-2013, 12:14
In very simple terms a battery charger will send a full charge limit to a battery when first connected and then respond to the amount of power that it receives back from the battery. If the battery sucks up all the charge then the charger will continue with full power. As the battery sends back information that the amount being sent is too much and cannot be absorbed then the charger reduces the amount of power sent. This continues until the battery says 'that's it I've had enough' and then the power out from the charger is just a trickle of power to keep it at that level (Trickle charge). The charger in your case is not responding to the signal that the battery is full and has continued to pump out a full charge thereby cooking the battery, the battery literally boils and the result is an acid vapour leaks out of the vent holes into the van, this vapour is explosive and will cause tremendous damage to property and even life.

Please... this is a simplistic explanation, it's meant for non teccy people.I am a techie person but I think you described it pretty good, easy for everybody to understand, good advice on all posts

Tbear
20-12-2013, 12:28
I am a techie person but I think you described it pretty good, easy for everybody to understand, good advice on all posts

A little tip given me by an old lady. When she wanted distilled water for her Iron, she used to chip ice off the inside of her freezer. Not perfect but better than tap water in a hard water area.

Richard

Tezza33
20-12-2013, 12:32
If you have a dehumidifier the water is OK from that as well

asel
20-12-2013, 12:33
We had the engine battery fail when wild camping on North Uist and it gave off the rotten eggs smell. Only 3 years old. Nothing to do with charging, a cell had failed.

Philcott
20-12-2013, 14:00
If you have a dehumidifier the water is OK from that as well

My dehumidifier has an ioniser in it, is it still ok to use the water in the battery?

Dankie

seadogjon
20-12-2013, 16:02
thanks very much all.the battery was totaly dry,well cooked.i checked the water level couple weeks ago. replaced it now ,will keep a close eye on it ,not sure how to switch charger off,or if the battery should get warm, we only have 12 volt telly for rare occainasions on hook up..thanks again all .

Tbear
20-12-2013, 16:10
thanks very much all.the battery was totaly dry,well cooked.i checked the water level couple weeks ago. replaced it now ,will keep a close eye on it ,not sure how to switch charger off,or if the battery should get warm, we only have 12 volt telly for rare occainasions on hook up..thanks again all .

No idea where the charger on your van is but after you have filled it up, it still gets hot (warm to touch is fine) disconnect it. Hydrogen gas goes up with one big bang. You don't say if its the leisure or van battery.

Richard

seadogjon
20-12-2013, 16:18
its the leisure,all the electrics are together under sink area,,itwas a small one,just put a110 amp on.

Tbear
20-12-2013, 16:35
its the leisure,all the electrics are together under sink area,,itwas a small one,just put a110 amp on.

Very sensible. I was going to suggest that you loose the leisure one if it was faulty as you are on hookup but as you have managed to source a replacement, all will hopefully be fine.

Richard

Bigpeetee
20-12-2013, 17:43
Stick a voltmeter across the battery terminals when on charge and see what the reading is.

A high voltage indicates a shot charger, you can get a low ish voltage if one cell has gone short circuit, it will draw current and this in turn can cause the cabling to heat up. A potential fire risk, especially if it's in a loom and the heat can't escape.

Also, over voltage can cause any 12v appliance to cook!!

seadogjon
20-12-2013, 17:55

Fazerloz
20-12-2013, 18:40
This happened to me about a month ago the battery was knacked not the charger. ensure you check where the battery is for acid that can hve come out of the battery and wash down thoroughly,neutralize acid to stop corrosion,bicarb of soda do this as soon as poss.

Tezza33
20-12-2013, 18:51
My dehumidifier has an ioniser in it, is it still ok to use the water in the battery?

DankieI honestly don't know so cannot give a definitive answer but as ionisers are supposed to emit masses of negatively charged particles which attach themselves to dust, pollen etc. and cause it to fall to the floor and thereby leave the air purer I don't think it would affect the water, I would still use it myself but 19311

trevskoda
20-12-2013, 20:06
I honestly don't know so cannot give a definitive answer but as ionisers are supposed to emit masses of negatively charged particles which attach themselves to dust, pollen etc. and cause it to fall to the floor and thereby leave the air purer I don't think it would affect the water, I would still use it myself but 19311

thanks for that i wonderd how that worked as i suffer from hay dust feaver many thanks.

Philcott
21-12-2013, 08:42
I honestly don't know so cannot give a definitive answer but as ionisers are supposed to emit masses of negatively charged particles which attach themselves to dust, pollen etc. and cause it to fall to the floor and thereby leave the air purer I don't think it would affect the water, I would still use it myself but 19311

thanks for that! :)

seadogjon
21-12-2013, 09:19
once again thanks for everyones quick replies,just checked and the battery is cool on top,slightly warm around the bottom and water level just slightly simmering.will get charger checked.hope it was just knackered battery.merry xmas to all,i need a whisky..

Sharon the Cat
21-12-2013, 09:45
I thought this was going to be a thread about someone wanting to sell a stolen battery.

But I'm glad I read it & have filed the information away for future reference.

Siimplyloco
21-12-2013, 09:46
I thought this was going to be a thread about someone wanting to sell a stolen battery.



It's unfortunate that the thieves rarely get charged....
John

John Thompson
21-12-2013, 13:29
in the 60s mycousin worked for a battery manufacturer and took samples of our tap water at home when I was young. The analysis showed our tap water was purer than the water they were using to fill the new batteries.

After that I only used tap water to top up batteries until I moved away from home.


CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS