PDA

View Full Version : Gas bottle types help please.

Rodeo
22-12-2013, 12:31
Well,Im getting right confused over the types of bottle and the correct regulators! When I did this years ago,I always used a calor bottle with screw in to the top regulator/tap combined,it had a ball valve in the top of the bottle.The answer is there somewhere but I just cant seem to see it!..........so..........
The double burner stove I have bought is an old Spinflo model. I assumed this was run on propane? The regulator I have bought is apparently the wrong type for the bottle I intend to use.It has propane stamped on it,but it is a clip on type,and I intend to use a 'dumpy' type gas bottle..the type that has a neck round the outlet and a small handle bridging the neck. Apparently they are a bolt on (large nut) regulator? Havent bought the bottle yet,but envisaged this would be ok,so built a gas box the size of which will easily acommodate the bottle size. If the reg fits as described,where is the on/off tap? Driving me mad sorting this!

Tbear
22-12-2013, 12:54
Is it not part of the reg. When you buy a bottle they should be able to provide you with correct reg unless you get one from local council dump for a fiver. They are not meant to sell them, so don't make a big fuss about it. A quiet request with a note in your hand tends to get you a cylinder with a bit of gas in. Larger cylinder, well worth a tenner.

Richard

Alf
22-12-2013, 13:20
What you need is a propane bulkhead regulator this mounts to the side of the gas locker your internal gas pipes connect to this, then you have a flexible pipe from the regulator to your gas bottle. You would be better trying to for the next size bottle 6kg it would work out cheaper for your gas. If you can afford it go for the stainless steel flexible pipe. There are several gas gauges that can fit to the bottle valve or regulator the advantages of fitting is that you can check for gas leaks anytime you wish.

Alf

Well,Im getting right confused over the types of bottle and the correct regulators! When I did this years ago,I always used a calor bottle with screw in to the top regulator/tap combined,it had a ball valve in the top of the bottle.The answer is there somewhere but I just cant seem to see it!..........so..........
The double burner stove I have bought is an old Spinflo model. I assumed this was run on propane? The regulator I have bought is apparently the wrong type for the bottle I intend to use.It has propane stamped on it,but it is a clip on type,and I intend to use a 'dumpy' type gas bottle..the type that has a neck round the outlet and a small handle bridging the neck. Apparently they are a bolt on (large nut) regulator? Havent bought the bottle yet,but envisaged this would be ok,so built a gas box the size of which will easily acommodate the bottle size. If the reg fits as described,where is the on/off tap? Driving me mad sorting this!

vespalien
22-12-2013, 13:41
The clip-on types (typically 21 or 22mm) are often used on bottles designed for portable heaters and are generally quite a bit bigger than the old style collared bottles that take the LH screw nut & domed hose propane fitting.

Wooie1958
22-12-2013, 13:48
I think this is what you are looking for :- Caravan Motorhome BBQ Heater Propane Gas 37 Mbar Regulator for Calor Bottles | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-Motorhome-BBQ-Heater-Propane-Gas-37-Mbar-Regulator-for-Calor-Bottles-/121156361287?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item1c357b5c47)

If it is this size and type of bottle

Rodeo
22-12-2013, 13:54
Ah,yes,that looks about right! My next quest is to find the bottle dimensions to see if I can get a larger size than anticipated in the gas box.I took the dims from an online chart,but Im buggered if I can find it now!

Wooie1958
22-12-2013, 13:58
This gives you all the dimensions :- Gas cylinders - Shop (http://www.calor.co.uk/shop/gas-bottles.html?cat=25)

Click on the " Learn More " and then the " Spec " tab.

Alf
22-12-2013, 14:00
3.9kg. Dia. 240 mm height 340 mm

6.0 kg. Dia 256 mm. Height 495 mm

These are bare bottle measurements

Alf

Rodeo
22-12-2013, 14:05
Thats great ,much apreciate your help guys.I see what you mean about more value for money on the 6kg bottle. Im going out there to have a measure up now,I'll report back with findings!

Rodeo
22-12-2013, 14:25
Hmm...My gas box is about 20mm taller than the 6kg bottle (thats if the reg doesnt sit up higher) but I dont think I will get the 6kg bottle in there,as I have a 2" lip on the front edge of the box,so it probably wont fit diagonally as it goes in. I will check at the local gas supplier to see if one fits,but I reckon I will have to stick with the dumpy bottle.Either way ,I think I will stick with an on bottle reg as the bulkhead reg and associated gubbins,although nice, is too expensive for me.We will only be using the gas to boil water for tea etc,so no major usage,and I have a small single burner stove with a couple of cylinders as back up. I'll report back when Ive visited the gas place ,or found a gas bottle!
!

Wooie1958
22-12-2013, 14:32
Ask about a " Calor Lite " see here :- 6kg Calor Lite Propane gas bottle (http://www.calor.co.uk/shop/gas-bottles/calor-lite/calor-lite-propane-gas-bottle.html)

The Regulator does not sit higher than the top.

They are a little shorter ( 8 mm smaller ) but might make all the difference and i`m sure the dealer will let you try one in situ

witzend
22-12-2013, 14:39
Hi heres your gas supplier delivered free to your door all sizes supplied

11Kg Propane Gas - Screw Fit | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11Kg-Propane-Gas-Screw-Fit-/261344899903?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&hash=item3cd95eb33f)

QFour
22-12-2013, 15:28
Well,I'm getting right confused over the types of bottle and the correct regulators! When I did this years ago,I always used a calor bottle with screw in to the top regulator/tap combined,it had a ball valve in the top of the bottle

Not a Calor bottle so you were using Camping Gaz .. Small bottle .. Screw in Regulator or Screw in Gas Burner .. Most of us use the Calor Red Bottle as they give gas even at very low temperatures. You can swap Blue 7 and Red 6 bottles but you cannot swap the larger ones for the smaller ones unless you can find a friendly gas supplier.

Rodeo
22-12-2013, 17:48
I stand corrected,yes it was camping gaz! Unfortunately I cut my last 2 up to build the petrol tank on my trike a few years ago!

vindiboy
22-12-2013, 17:54
AT a car boot today in Southampton I saw just about every Calor gas bottle for sale from the dumpies through 6. 13. And 15 kgs both Propane and Butane also the barbi type that require the clip on regulaters all very cheap. So if we have them here they must be available in your area,Don,t worry if they are scruffy and covered in paint as when you swap them you get a nice shiney one back that has been checked and serviced by Calor.

Rodeo
22-12-2013, 18:14
Yep,I agree,they must be around here in Essex somewhere,but after trawling Gumtree etc,theres none for sale in this area,and travelling further is going to be counterproductive financially.Dont think theres any boot sales hereabouts at the moment either. Theres a few bits I need from one,so may have to wait til the spring!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS