PDA

View Full Version : gas confusion

martino
22-12-2013, 15:31
Having trawled many threads on this subject,I still can't find the answer..probably me being thick!
I want to know how much it would cost me to buy a 6kg propane bottle,plus gas,plus appropriate regulator in Portugal,and can the bottle be swapped in France,for a French one?
Thanks in anticipation..

Deleted user 21925
22-12-2013, 15:38
Having trawled many threads on this subject,I still can't find the answer..probably me being thick!
I want to know how much it would cost me to buy a 6kg propane bottle,plus gas,plus appropriate regulator in Portugal,and can the bottle be swapped in France,for a French one?
Thanks in anticipation..

You could try a Private Message to Nbrown who is on holiday in Portugal at the moment.

martino
22-12-2013, 15:57
Thanks Robmac,might try that if nobody else has the answers

Rodeo
22-12-2013, 16:01
Also confused,so good post (for me!)! Are the bottles different fitments,eg bottles in France wont have same unions/different type of gas etc?

Update ..the "man" himself is viewing this thread!

n brown
22-12-2013, 16:58
i´ll have a look tomorrow, but i´ve never seen a gas bottle smaller than 13kg down here except of course for camping gaz,they do have a ´´light´´ equivalent. as for foreign gas bottles generally,nobody´s fits anybody´s,except french ones could be used in morocco. so a refillable seems the way forward if going for more than a couple of weeks

vindiboy
22-12-2013, 17:23
Buying gas bottles in France is very easy they have a large choice,just go to a Supermarket garage and buy one,they often come with a regulater,you will need to pay a deposit on the bottle as here but it is easier to get the deposit back on return.I think you may be looking at getting LeCube,it is a small bottle of about 4 to 5 kgs of gas,it comes Propane or Butane,not sure of prices now as I haven.t bought one lately, why not look at getting a GAS IT refillable system and then you can refill in any Country? I actually have a French gas bottle and reg for sale, it is propane and nearly full £ 10. Large bottle though,it is in my garage and can,t remember its details but can look if interested. Also I have a French dumpy bottle TWINNEY I think it is called,empty Propane with reg also £10, I have changed to GASIT system so have no use for the bottles now although I can burn the gas. in my garden barbi so no loss there,roll on the Summer he he.

vindiboy
22-12-2013, 17:41
I have read your post incorrectly,you are looking for Portugese gas. So if in Spain you can get Repsol bottles at car boot sales often with a reg for about ten euros,Repsol bottles can be exchanged in Portugal easily at Repsol garages.Getting an official gas bottle in Spain is a nightmare as you have to pay for your vans gas system to be certified and that costs a bomb then you have to pay a large deposit on the bottle and then the cost of the gas 15 euros for a 13 kg last time I bought one.You cannot refill these in France although someone told me you can at a French Repsol garage but I have never found one. GAZ CYLINDERS are widely available 907 cylinders but that works out expensive by comparrison but is a very good standby, There are places in Portugal that will refill your Calor bottles for you and you can in fact buy the filling adapter off E Bay but I don,t do it or recommend it but that is for you to decide.In Portugal you can get a plastic / composite bottle intended for barbis. From petrol stations they are about six kgs I think and I have used them on my van at Times.The gas is the same in Portugal and Spain and France either Propane or Butane as here.fittings are availabe too,hope this helps.

Rodeo
22-12-2013, 17:41
So you buy the bottle with the regulator,pay deposit,in say, S.France,then go to any gas supplier ,say N France to get deposit back? What are the prices like then?
Oops,posted together

lebesset
22-12-2013, 17:56
Thanks in anticipation..

basically you can't swop portuguese and french bottles , also am I correct in thinking you have a regulator on the bottle ? what bottles do you have now ?

in france gas standard bottles are now very cheap , so no getting your money back ; you don't say what size bottles you can fit in , but as you can get in a 6Kg bottle you could go to intermarche in france and get one of their own brand bottles which I bought recently for €1 , available with either 9Kg propane or 10~Kg butane [ same price

difficult to advise you , don't know where you are or your travel plans , post full information and could help better!

vindiboy
22-12-2013, 18:04
Well the price OF THE GAS. Is hard to determine as it will depend on whether it is Propane or Butane you buy and the ammount. I.E. what size cylinder you are getting .rule off thumb is the larger the cylinder the cheaper the gas,as here in England, I have a ticket from France that. I can redeem when I return my French. bottle it is for 16 euros the deposit I paid when I got the bottle.Yes you can return your French BOTTLE to any outlet anywhere in France. That sell the bottles.

vindiboy
22-12-2013, 18:21
When I had my Hymer tag axle it had a large garage in it and a big payload so I could Carry bottles for every Country we visited, and to make things easier I removed the bulkhead regulater and automatic change over valves it had and reverted to bottle regulaters,all I had to do was after removal of the bulkhead regulater Was to fit a hose fitting to the gas inlet pipe. And a rubber gas hose to the bottle regulater of which ever gas bottle I was using at the time all very simple. And I could change between Propane or Butane gas from whatever Country very easily and quickly. Fool proof system it was too.But now we have downsised to our present van I do not have the capacity to carry extra bottles as I used to so that is why I have fitted 2 x 11 kg GASIT refillables and it is sooooooo easy, just top them up in any Country with the supplied adaptors no need for gauges, change over valves or any other gubbins, I have one bottle turned on and the other turned off, so if the one in use empties I would know as the gas would not light so just turn the empty off and the standby full one on and just refill at the next fuel stop.SIMPLES.

lebesset
22-12-2013, 20:11
Well the price OF THE GAS. Is hard to determine as it will depend on whether it is Propane or Butane you buy and the ammount. I.E. what size cylinder you are getting .rule off thumb is the larger the cylinder the cheaper the gas,as here in England, I have a ticket from France that. I can redeem when I return my French. bottle it is for 16 euros the deposit I paid when I got the bottle.Yes you can return your French BOTTLE to any outlet anywhere in France. That sell the bottles.

my local garage [ who supplies several brands of gas ] no longer refunds deposits on returned gas bottles ..he says that bottles are now sold for almost nothing since the advent of own brands

martino
22-12-2013, 21:56
Thanks for all the posts,I am now (reasonably) certain of what I suspected,that as we are planning to be in France and Portugal,and probably Spain,for about 6 weeks,a refillable bottle is the way to go,will look into it more.Thanks again.

Kontiki
23-12-2013, 07:52
Since retiring & having longer trips in Europe we went the refillable route. First time I used Gaslow & fitted the filler in the side of the van which we left in when sold the van. I now fit the filling point inside the gas locker & have removed it when changing vans. The gasit bottles make things even easier as there is no fitting problems & they can be taken out easily. Although refilling bottles isn't always cheapest option it is the easiest, with standard bottles you will run them until empty (always found they ran out at awkward times) with refillable you can top them up anytime, after a few fills you get some idea of how much gas you are using so can fill before the gas is too low.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS