PDA

View Full Version : Help please ...repair in France

POI Admin
25-12-2013, 12:27
First of all, Happy Christmas everyone :D

I am currently near Perpignan in the south of France, and I need a garage to take a look at the front brakes.

Rather than taking pot luck, has anybody any recommendations in the south of France for repairs to a Peugeot Boxer?

Thank you ...

lebesset
25-12-2013, 15:10
what's the problem ?

n brown
25-12-2013, 16:29
just pull in to a kwik fit equivalent,brakes arenīt that dissimilar.happy xmas !

francophile1947
25-12-2013, 17:42
French vehicle in France - shouldn't be a problem anywhere:)

hpold
25-12-2013, 19:02
If you got that far and the van stops when you want it you should make the next garage and have no problems with a frog van . I hardly use the brakes just use the gear box and plan the traffic ahead . You also have the hand brake to use also .

Tbear
25-12-2013, 19:42
Hi Admin,

We have a Peugeot Boxer. We where taken to a large garage and they said that they could not work on it for 3 weeks and no telling how long it would take. Got it transported home. Fixed in 10 mins.

I would find a large Aire and ask around the other MHs. See if you can get some local knowledge. Find a place a bit more hungry for business.

Richard

wilthebeast
25-12-2013, 19:45
what's the problem ?

yes whats the problem ?

Nolly
25-12-2013, 19:58
Feu Vert are normally very helpful they are usually found at a Centre Commercial. There is bound to be one near you and will possibly be open tomorrow as it's not a bank holiday here. Also there is Speedy.
Hope that helps.
Regards Nolly.

shawbags
25-12-2013, 20:49
As Mr Brown says use quik fit , I used them in France and they where great ( 10 years ago ), I wouldn't think a big concern like that can rip you off .

lebesset
25-12-2013, 21:59
yes whats the problem ?

the answer to your question depends on what your problem is!

barryd
26-12-2013, 09:10
Feu Vert are normally very helpful they are usually found at a Centre Commercial. There is bound to be one near you and will possibly be open tomorrow as it's not a bank holiday here. Also there is Speedy.
Hope that helps.
Regards Nolly.

If you use Google (http://www.google.fr) France rather than our own google you should find plenty. Looks like there are three Feu Vert around Perpignan http://www.google.fr/#q=Feu+Vert+perpignan

POI Admin
26-12-2013, 10:30
Just back on wi-fi - thanks for the suggestions. I will try Feu Vert and Speedy.

The front discs I think need replacing - there's a fairly severe juddering under braking from speed - and there's a knocking sound from one of the calipers.

I had the van serviced before I left the UK, and the garage thought all would be well for a while yet. But they were wrong I think, and I'm not going to be back till the end of March.

lebesset
26-12-2013, 10:53
iit all depends if you prefer original equipment quality or unbranded copies

the PEUGEOT agent on avenue d'espagne [ the main road on the south side of perpignan ]deals with boxers ....in my experience [ after 25 years in france ] the labour charges at main dealers are very little different from independants , and the cost of unbranded parts very little different

POI Admin
26-12-2013, 11:19
iit all depends if you prefer original equipment quality or unbranded copies

the PEUGEOT agent on avenue d'espagne [ the main road on the south side of perpignan ]deals with boxers ....in my experience [ after 25 years in france ] the labour charges at main dealers are very little different from independants , and the cost of unbranded parts very little different

Thanks for the additional info - but if main dealers are the same as the UK it may be a while before they can take a look ... especially at this time of year.

I am now nearer to Narbonne, and I am going to go to Feu Vert there this afternoon and see how I get on. I'll let you know.

Thanks again for all the suggestions :D

vespalien
26-12-2013, 19:33
As Mr Brown says use quik fit , I used them in France and they where great ( 10 years ago ), I wouldn't think a big concern like that can rip you off .

Well, they can & do in the UK. Don't ever listen to what they tell you at a "free safety check".

Siimplyloco
26-12-2013, 19:49
We took our bog standard perfect condition Seat Leon there (Southampton) for a 'cheaper' MOT. They wanted Ģ400 + for repairs, and declared the vehicle CPU a write off as the emissions were 50 x what they should be. I told them where to put their findings and got it MOT'd where we normally go: no faults found.....
John

RoadTrek Boy
27-12-2013, 09:50
Some years ago I used Kwik Fit for a couple of tyres, while I was waiting I saw one of the fitters go to the the car on the ramp (not mine) with an oil can and appeared to squirt oil around the suspension, they then got the owner of the car and took him over and showed him pointing up to that area, as I was in a closed room I couldn't hear what was said, he then went off out the main door so didn't get a chance to talk to him (I suspect they flogged him new shocks) so I called the fitter over and told him if they tried any funny tricks on my car they would get a visit from the police, he went bright red and said he didn't know what I mean't. they then fitted my tyres rather smartish and no problems. I have never delt with them again....:mad2:

Colin

Tbear
27-12-2013, 11:18
I think everyone has a story about these franchise garages. I took my Nissan Stanza to one for a new exhaust. It required large hardened steel nuts on the manifold studs. They put little brass ones on it, big surprise. It fell off! When I went back and pointed it out to them I was a bit surprised when they put two brass nuts on them. "Lock nuts" would sort they said. Lasted about 10 mins. Took me all day and several discussions with head office before they sourced new ones from Nissan. Then they tried to charge me extra for them. I cannot print my reply.

Richard

lebesset
27-12-2013, 14:59
in my first reply here I asked what the problem was
the reason was that in france ~i either go to the franchised dealer or to the village mechanic , depending on what sort of kit is needed to do the job

the kwik fit type franchises ? you cannot be serious !

POI Admin
29-12-2013, 11:59
That's a useful word to add to my vocabulary - thanks ...

At Nolly's suggestion I went to Feu Vert, but they couldn't help with a motorhome - cars only ...

But they suggested a Kwik-Fit style of place nearby who were helpful. It was a bit of a struggle, they speaking no English and my grasp of vehicle parts in French is not good.

They took off the wheel on the offending side, and could find no fault, and the noise seems now to have stopped. So I will monitor the situation as I progress.

Many thanks all - lots of useful advice as always.

Happy New Year :D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS