PDA

View Full Version : Fridge vent covers

Stacetop
25-12-2013, 20:03
Hi

Should we remove our fridge vent covers before using the fridge on gas or electric at this time of year?

We have always removed them but not really sure what is meant to be done?

Thanks

Alf
25-12-2013, 20:26
We only remove ours in warm weather

Alf

Hi

Should we remove our fridge vent covers before using the fridge on gas or electric at this time of year?

We have always removed them but not really sure what is meant to be done?

Thanks

Wind Dancer
25-12-2013, 21:04
Ditto.
I keep mine on over the winter. In fact I usually only remember to take them off again when my fridge becomes less efficient as it gets warmer outside!

Amethyst
25-12-2013, 21:37
Hi

Our manual says to keep them on from 8celsius and below

Rob

Stacetop
25-12-2013, 21:40
Thanks!

suej
27-12-2013, 20:32
Going to show my ignorance here, but it is my first motorhome and it's the first winter I've owned it...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol!
Anyway, I know what vent covers are but why are they necessary? I don't think I've got any, should I? Do they need to be on when the van is not being used?
Thanks in advance for any helpful info and apologies for hijacking your thread Stacetop
Sue :)

Alf
27-12-2013, 20:41
They stop the wind and rain getting behind the fridge and make the fridge work better in colder weather,

Alf

Going to show my ignorance here, but it is my first motorhome and it's the first winter I've owned it...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol!
Anyway, I know what vent covers are but why are they necessary? I don't think I've got any, should I? Do they need to be on when the van is not being used?
Thanks in advance for any helpful info and apologies for hijacking your thread Stacetop

suej
27-12-2013, 20:44
Thanks Alf. Guess I'd better get a couple asap

maingate
27-12-2013, 21:15

They serve a purpose Sue but are not essential. They can be handy when it's cold and windy (to stop draughts) but are not essential, we don't have any. If you buy some, make sure you get the right ones as they come in different sizes. Websites usually give the dimensions so measure your vents before buying.

suej
28-12-2013, 08:24
Thanks Jim, I'll do that

philstoke
28-12-2013, 08:53
We have not got any covers for our 03 Fiat Rapido, when parked up on a windy day a draught comes inside through the cooker and fridge vents, are there any special covers that would stop the wind blowing through but still ventilate these appliances or is there another way of curing this.

Thanks

flyinghigh
28-12-2013, 09:30
You need to check the sealing around your appliance ,were your fridge is fitted there should be no air movement from outside if it's sealed properly, the vents covers are only to reduce wind and rain driving through the vents onto the back of the fridge in bad weather, if you remove your existing covers/vents you should see a totally sealed compartment , if not then it needs sorting out both from a draught point of view and possible CO fumes getting into the MH,

philstoke
28-12-2013, 09:35
Thanks will have a proper look next time I visit her

maingate
28-12-2013, 09:52
We have not got any covers for our 03 Fiat Rapido, when parked up on a windy day a draught comes inside through the cooker and fridge vents, are there any special covers that would stop the wind blowing through but still ventilate these appliances or is there another way of curing this.

Thanks

Remove your vent covers and have a good look around. We used to have a problem with draughts but it was nothing to do with the fridge seal. We have cables and water pipes that run right through behind the kitchen area and the draught was getting in past them. If your Rapido is the typical Continental layout then your problem might be the same. I used thick foam and masking tape to block the draughts.

Alf
28-12-2013, 09:57
Even with the vent covers fitted in high winds you can get draughts just turn the van around when parking up in windy weather always try to park with the wind on the opposite side to any fridge or heater vent

Alf

Thanks

vespalien
28-12-2013, 12:11
Even with the vent covers fitted in high winds you can get draughts just turn the van around when parking up in windy weather always try to park with the wind on the opposite side to any fridge or heater vent

Alf

We park up stern to in high winds, it also reduces the rocking as well as draughts. Our other trick is to put the cab heater on recirculate to cut down on draughts & hang a curtain between cab & hab.

But as mentioned earlier, draughts around the fridge or heater can kill if you get CO escaping into the habitation.

Sky
28-12-2013, 12:41
to cut down on draughts & hang a curtain between cab & hab.

I've found this to make more of a difference to keeping the van warm than using window silvers and curtains in the cab. I just put up a big fleecy blanket as a screen between hab. and cab. It also makes the van look 'parked' rather than 'camped' on the few occasions I have to stay anywhere urban. :)

belladogbetty
28-12-2013, 15:29
I've never had any an we've been out in all weathers favourite being snow and the fridge has always worked ok

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS