PDA

View Full Version : Insurance - How many days in Europe?

noarlunga
25-12-2013, 23:53
Hi Folks,

My present insurance via Adrian Flux allows us 90 days green card cover in any year. Due to a change in family circumstances we may be able to travel more than those 90 days so I'm wondering if there's an insurance policy that gives more generous green card cover.

Obviously I'll ask Adrian Flux the question when renewal is due, but any info from your own experience would be useful.

Thanks

Johnny A

dave and mary
26-12-2013, 07:30
Safeguard and Saga both give you unlimited cover in Europe, and both use AA European breakdown recovery and as we have had to use it can really recommend it.

:drive: :drive:

David & Ann
26-12-2013, 08:08
[QUOTE=dave and mary;381372]Safeguard and Saga both give you unlimited cover in Europe, and both use AA European breakdown recovery and as we have had to use it can really recommend it.

I have the same arrangement as D & M. with Sageguard. No problems with them and insurance premium is very good as long as you keep a clean sheet. ☺☺☺

maxi77
26-12-2013, 08:17
I have 180 days with A Flux with no problems

Dean
26-12-2013, 09:04
Under EEC Law any motor policy sold in the EEC has to cover you throughout the EEC for the whole duration of the cover.
But this is only the legal minimum cover. Naturally insurers try to sell you extra cover to get more money out of you. But don't let them tell you that you HAVE to pay extra to take your vehicle abroad - even if you go for the 365 days you are covered.

El Veterano
26-12-2013, 09:35
Safeguard, unlimited insurance cover throughout the EU (and according to Safeguard Switzerland is also in the EU !!!???) including breakdown cover. Far cheaper for us than to have separate cover.

dave and mary
26-12-2013, 09:38
Under EEC Law any motor policy sold in the EEC has to cover you throughout the EEC for the whole duration of the cover.
But this is only the legal minimum cover. Naturally insurers try to sell you extra cover to get more money out of you. But don't let them tell you that you HAVE to pay extra to take your vehicle abroad - even if you go for the 365 days you are covered.

This is very interesting, and something I did not know, why then do the companies put these restrictions on, are you saying that the company's with a shot cover in there policy is a better cover in some way.

Is this something that we should all try to sort out then, I have always been under the impression that as I have a full comprehensive police that it was fully comprehensive even in Europe is that be wrong then ?

vindiboy
26-12-2013, 09:43
Comfort is another good one for long term travel, Camping and Caravan club will give you 180 days UN occupancy for your home too.

Dean
26-12-2013, 10:06
This is very interesting, and something I did not know, why then do the companies put these restrictions on, are you saying that the company's with a shot cover in there policy is a better cover in some way.

Is this something that we should all try to sort out then, I have always been under the impression that as I have a full comprehensive police that it was fully comprehensive even in Europe is that be wrong then ?

No, they are only obliged to provide the legal minimum cover throughout Europe for 365 days (even if you have lied on the application form about motoring convictions etc they are still obliged to provide this third party only cover.)
But they can put whatever restrictions they like on any additional (comprehensive, breakdown etc) cover. So you may well have to pay extra if you want that.

PS: the reason I mention it is because some salespeople suggest you must pay extra to take or keep your vehicle elsewhere in the EEC, and that is not true - not if you are prepared to accept the legal minimum (third party only) cover.

noarlunga
26-12-2013, 11:53
I've just looked at the Safeguard web site and it doesn't cover DIY conversions so that rules us out.

John Thompson
26-12-2013, 12:46
I've just looked at the Safeguard web site and it doesn't cover DIY conversions so that rules us out.

Comfort cover DIY conversions and do 365 day EU cover at Fully Comprehensive. They also do house insurance with the same away from home cover as the motorhome. Toads as well as linked together if required. There cover is provided by the only company to do true full timing insurance (AVIVA).

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS