PDA

View Full Version : heating costs

molly 2
27-12-2013, 00:15
Hi is it cheaper to run trumatic 2400 gas heater ,buying gas at 78p a litre (gas it) or a deisel heater about the same output at 140p litre (small eber ) bazz

QFour
27-12-2013, 00:22
Work it out from the data sheet. They give the hourly consumption figures. Then you can work out the running costs.

Trumatic 2400 is Gas consumption. Half setting, 100g/h Full setting 200g/h

D2 Diesel Heater

Automatic settings .. Boost - High - Med - Low - Standby.
Heat output ............ 2200 - 1800 - 1200 - 850 - 0 watts.
Fuel consumption .... 0.28 - 0.23 - 0.15 - 0.10 - 0 l/hr.

FULL TIMER
27-12-2013, 00:56
Eberspacher D4 uses 0.28 of a litre per hour flat out dropping to 0.10 on it lowest cycle and plenty of info here Airtronic Motorhome Kits (http://www.pfjones.co.uk/eberspacher-heaters-eberspacher-parts/eberspacher-airtronic/airtronic-motorhome-kits.html)
the Trumatic 2400 uses either 100 or 200 grams per hour assume there are only two settings Truma - Trumatic E 2400 liquid gas heater (http://www.truma.com/uk/en/heating/trumatic-e-2400.php)
very quick working out suggests Truma 16p per hour Eberspacher D4 around 39p per hour both running flat out, BUT the Eberspacher has a 4kw output as opposed to the 2.4 kw output of the truma PLUS you could greatly reduce the cost of running the Eberspacher by using red diesel or heating oil, suggested the D4 as it has the same consumption rates as the D2

Airecraft
27-12-2013, 09:56
But the Trauma uses less eleccy than the Eber, not having to power a glow plug, which I find to be the main constraint with blown air heaters. Wish the radiant gas heaters hadn't gone out of fashion.

m1cxf
27-12-2013, 12:12
I run my Eberspacher D2 on red diesel, I have a separate tank for the red so it has no chance of contaminating the road fuel system. It works out much more economic than running it on road fuel.

TJ

FULL TIMER
27-12-2013, 14:03
But the Trauma uses less eleccy than the Eber, not having to power a glow plug, which I find to be the main constraint with blown air heaters. Wish the radiant gas heaters hadn't gone out of fashion.

But it only uses the glowplug for a few minutes on start up and again when shutting down, wattage at each stage is 34/23/12/8 so only 2.8 amp on boost which only lasts short time, down to 1.9amp then 1amp to 0.66amp on the lowest setting for a heater with nearly twice the output of the Trumatic. set temperature would be reached quicker with the D4 so it would then be ticking over on the low and medium phase using around the same electrical power as the truma. I think it all boils down to personal choice in the end.

Siimplyloco
27-12-2013, 15:04
I run my Eberspacher D2 on red diesel, I have a separate tank for the red so it has no chance of contaminating the road fuel system. It works out much more economic than running it on road fuel.

TJ

I believe that in France one can still get red diesel in small quantities for heating purposes, though I've never found it! 'l'huile de chauffage domestique'
John

vespalien
27-12-2013, 15:39

Not so much out of fashion - more likely to have been banned for H&S reasons as they create condensation, use up oxygen, risk fires and if not burning right can poison you with CO. You can still buy and fit one yourself, but do make sure you have plenty of ventilation.

FULL TIMER
27-12-2013, 16:24
I have also come across another diesel heater that might be worth considering the Mikuni Airo 2kw, electric consumption 0.9 - 1.9 amp fuel 0.12 - 0.24 litre per hour. Have fitted many Mikuni's in the past but I used the MY30's, the Airo is a new model that I havn't had a chance to use or fit yet. http://www.autoelectrics-uk.com/products.asp?CatID=91 Seems as it is a replacement for the Webasto 2000 series (thought it looked familiar)

molly 2
27-12-2013, 17:21
Thanks for comments looks like trumatlc runs cheaper. If you have gas it setup, Has no service costs ,not much difference on lecky probably get bigger bang for your bucks with eber. To sum up an eber running on red ,still a close call

FULL TIMER
27-12-2013, 17:50
Thanks for comments looks like trumatlc runs cheaper. If you have gas it setup, Has no service costs ,not much difference on lecky probably get bigger bang for your bucks with eber. To sum up an eber running on red ,still a close call

difference for me is I can work on the Eberspachers and Mikuni's as I keep quite a few of the East of Englands ambulance service heaters going as part of my job and normally have spares in stock plus a couple of spare heaters so it works out well for me, it would seem there isn't too much to chose between the lot when it comes to total running costs, I would imagine repair costs for the trumatic could be just as high in the event of a breakdown. All seems to be down to personal choice in the end

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS