PDA

View Full Version : Pass Of The Cattle.

Obanboy666
27-12-2013, 18:14
Heading up the west coast of Scotland in the spring for 2/3 weeks.
Have gone up the pass of the cattle from the Kisshorn side in a car but concerned about going up in motorhome.
Swift Sundance 594RS 22 ft long fiat Ducato 130 bhp.
Whats your thoughts ? Has anyone done the climb in a motorhome of similiar length / size ?
My son says just go for it, he reckons the bin lorries etc go up so we should be ok !

runnach
27-12-2013, 18:21
Have gone up the pass of the cattle from the Kisshorn side in a car but concerned about going up in motorhome.
Whats your thoughts ? Has anyone done the climb in a motorhome of similiar length / size ?
My son says just go for it, he reckons the bin lorries etc go up so we should be ok !

You'll be fine, as yer lad says, go for it, might see you up there around Easter time, in my 5.6 Dethleffs......

Cheers.

Alf
27-12-2013, 18:32
It's certainly doable but you will have a hard drive all the way up looking for traffic coming down which is out of your sight most of the time, when coming drive it's easy you can see the road top to bottom and see the pass in all it's glory without even looking as it were. The down trip is a better trip than the uphill one.
Alf

runnach
27-12-2013, 18:40
It's certainly doable but you will have a hard drive all the way up looking for traffic coming down which is out of your sight most of the time, when coming drive it's easy you can see the road top to bottom and see the pass in all it's glory without even looking as it were. The down trip is a better trip than the uphill one.
Alf

I agree with Alf, you see all in it's glory on the way doon hill. Mind you, Torridon route can be challenging a certain point, stunning view from Shieldaig to Applecross.

sparrks
27-12-2013, 18:42
Plenty of large lorries go over it.

ducato
27-12-2013, 18:46
Passed the gritting wagon on the bank one January [in an Isuzu Trooper] not much room my thoughts would be to via Shieldaig . The scenary coming down towards Kishorn[ is out of this world when there snow on the tops. QUOTE=Obanboy666;381733]Heading up the west coast of Scotland in the spring for 2/3 weeks.
My son says just go for it, he reckons the bin lorries etc go up so we should be ok ![/QUOTE]

Randonneur
27-12-2013, 20:39
We managed it slow and steady in our Talbot Elddis Autostratus on only 75bhp so it should be easy in yours!

Firefox
27-12-2013, 23:42
Nothing to it.

People are always full of hype about it, but only distinction is the highest climb from sea level (over 2000 ft from Applecross) Other than that, 3 first gear hairpins and a few unguarded edges and that's about it!

jagmanx
28-12-2013, 05:52

It is OK. We have a 22ft unit. Just be sensible.

loulou
28-12-2013, 08:58
We visited Applecross in October this year in our 27ft van. After much research and advice from other members, we did the anticlockwise route, the long coastal route going, which was lovely and the Branach Na Ba pass on the way back. We had to reverse on 2 of the 3 hairpins in order to get round. The views were fantastic. We are planning to go again and again use the anticlockwise route. The clockwise route for us, whilst may be doable, is more risky of getting stuck on the hairpins, the rest is OK.

john t
28-12-2013, 10:23
I still can't understand why people are intimidated by this pass, as i've said before it isn't nothing special as in hard, and if your worried about this, then stay away from the Pyrenees or the Alps,or even the Strines round where i live.!

jt

runnach
28-12-2013, 10:35
Personally, I find he worst part is Applecross side of pass. The part where you start steep ascend, then level out at summit. I always take gulp, then pray no one is coming the other way.

seamus
28-12-2013, 11:36
We done this in a tag axle, climbing with the sea on our right, it was not too difficult but to be honest,if we went there again,I would go the other way round, no need to consentrate as much on the driving, so enjoying the view.
seamus.

Alf
28-12-2013, 12:11
Not very long ago I watched a lady TV reporter pedal up the pass as a prelude to the Tour de Yorkshire so all is possible for me though the views going down are the better I remember when the Oil rigs were assembled in the Loch below the views now are far better

Alf

baldybloke
28-12-2013, 12:14
Hi,
I stay just down the road from the pass, you should have no problem in either direction,provided the snow stays off, please do not ignore any warnings re snow, it drifts very quickly around there and the road can soon become impassable even with 4x4 and chains etc

Deleted user 21925
28-12-2013, 13:07
There are loads of vids on Youtube showing the pass. Here is a speeded up version as a taster;

Driving up Bealach na Ba (Pass Of The Cattle)(Applecross Road) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybzZP2FdiXs)

I've done it a few times, although in a 6 metre van, but I don't think you will have too many problems.

kernowprickles
28-12-2013, 17:31
We did it in our 21ft Autotrail, just take it slowly, and DON'T do it on a cloudy day or you'll see b*gger all!!

Bealach na Ba - the Applecross Pass - YouTube (http://youtu.be/2knnchiytcM)

KP

And of course, there's Rubbertramp's famous version -LOVE this!!

Round Britain Sorebumathon Part 4 - Sue and Mark at Applecross - YouTube (http://youtu.be/gyM8CWdlbsA)

Mastodon
28-12-2013, 17:52
While you're up there, don't miss the squat lobster in the Kishorn seafood bar.

Deleted user 21925
28-12-2013, 18:07
While you're up there, don't miss the squat lobster in the Kishorn seafood bar.

Or they do same in the Applecross Inn.

Cliffy
28-12-2013, 18:46
We went up it in our fully loaded 6mtr long Autotrail Tracker with 2.0 Ltr engine. We had to stop twice once for cars coming down and once to let the traffic behind get passed. The only worry I had was that the clutch might not have got us going again after we stopped but it did and there was no harm done. I did not fancy rolling backwards all the way to the bottom.

roughneck
28-12-2013, 20:58
Pass of the cattle is the English translation the correct name is the "Bealach na Ba" There is large signs at both sides of the pass advising that no motorhomes of more than 6 metres us the road !!
This is very good advice as unless you are very good at reversing in both up/down a steep hill.! Was there with the Mx5 Owners Club in June with 26 Mx5 cars and on our way up met two 7 metre plus vans coming down and no way were all of us going to reverse nearly 500 metres downhill to a passing place where it could only take three cars !!
The driver of the second a UK registered one managed to reverse around 70 metres to one around a bend to a passing place only big enough for one van !! however the Dutch owner would not try himself so after offering and been refused his companion persuaded him to let me move it for him that been said I had to reverse around three bends an approx. 120 metres to next passing place.

When we did arrive at the Applecross campsite where we had our lunch stop at their fabulous tented restaurant (booked well in advance) I got talking to a Swift Kontiki 645 owner who had managed to damage both front and rear bumpers on the hairpins at the top. ( due to bad driving I would say)
I worked at the Kishorn Construction Camp on the Chevron "Ninian Central Platform" in the seventies for 2 years so no the road very well.

All of the above been said, if you are a confident driver go for it the Highland Council snow plough does it end to end all the winter so with confidence go for it but, just be aware no matter which direction you take you will be driving on a single track road with passing places, on a very steep gradient where you are often driving blind.

Ask yourself are you confident to do any of the above if required !!

ivecotrucker
28-12-2013, 21:28
Similar to Loulou but from East to West. Had to reverse on only 2 bends, light snow at the time. Just look ahead for descending traffic & be patient & prepared to wait. 4.25T, 23'.6", 167Hp, 6 wheeler - far worse roads abroad. Just go for it.

runnach
28-12-2013, 22:05
Pass of the cattle is the English translation the correct name is the "Bealach na Ba" There is large signs at both sides of the pass advising that no motorhomes of more than 6 metres us the road !!
This is very good advice as unless you are very good at reversing in both up/down a steep hill.! Was there with the Mx5 Owners Club in June with 26 Mx5 cars and on our way up met two 7 metre plus vans coming down and no way were all of us going to reverse nearly 500 metres downhill to a passing place where it could only take three cars !!
The driver of the second a UK registered one managed to reverse around 70 metres to one around a bend to a passing place only big enough for one van !! however the Dutch owner would not try himself so after offering and been refused his companion persuaded him to let me move it for him that been said I had to reverse around three bends an approx. 120 metres to next passing place.

When we did arrive at the Applecross campsite where we had our lunch stop at their fabulous tented restaurant (booked well in advance) I got talking to a Swift Kontiki 645 owner who had managed to damage both front and rear bumpers on the hairpins at the top. ( due to bad driving I would say)
I worked at the Kishorn Construction Camp on the Chevron "Ninian Central Platform" in the seventies for 2 years so no the road very well.

All of the above been said, if you are a confident driver go for it the Highland Council snow plough does it end to end all the winter so with confidence go for it but, just be aware no matter which direction you take you will be driving on a single track road with passing places, on a very steep gradient where you are often driving blind.

Ask yourself are you confident to do any of the above if required !!

Me da was a Kishorn Commando, worked logistics for the constant concrete pour on the Central.

philstoke
29-12-2013, 11:40
We went over there in our 03 Fiat Ducato in October, after seeing the warning notice at the start and driving through it I wondered what all the fuss was about, there are plenty of similar if not worse single track roads all over Scotland, especially on Orkney and Shetland

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS