PDA

View Full Version : Members / Full (subscribing) members

wints
29-12-2013, 12:32
Just an observation, but wouldn't it be more advantageous for full (subscribing) members if members were permitted to use the for sale / wanted forum, after all I think there's a lot more of us.
Open up the market, let the B team buy stuff.

regards
Allen

Tezza
29-12-2013, 13:18
I think the whole point of free members and full members is....become a free member and try out the site. Then if you like it join. There must be some advantages to being a full member over free members otherwise everybody will be free and after a short there will be no site.Its simple really...if you want all the benefits join. Would you also like the pois too ?

wints
29-12-2013, 13:32
Hi Tezza, you're not quite seeing my point.
If you as a subscribing member were selling something, would you rather sell to a large audience, ie all the members, or be content to just sell to a comparative few, ie subscribing members ?

I've been a member since before 2008 (my profile says 2008), it was before the 1st, or maybe the 2nd attack of the cybers when all details / info appeared to be lost, and well before it went peage.
The wild camping poi's are available elsewhere.

regards
Allen

Alf
29-12-2013, 13:41
I have seen several post where a free member post to Admin who the contact the member surely any free member can post on the for sale section saying they are interested in any item I must agree with Tezza there has to be some incentive to join

Hi Tezza, you're not quite seeing my point.
If you as a subscribing member were selling something, would you rather sell to a large audience, ie all the members, or be content to just sell to a comparative few, ie subscribing members ?

I've been a member since before 2008 (my profile says 2008), it was before the 1st, or maybe the 2nd attack of the cybers when all details / info appeared to be lost, and well before it went peage.

regards
Allen

Tezza
29-12-2013, 13:47
So can you tell me why i pay?....maybe its for the wealth of information on here that people give freely. The monthly updates to the poi...not 1 year out of date.But if nobody paid then there would be no site. I think its allready been mentioned in other post that the click through from adverts brings in pennies. And hosting fees are expensive. So nobody pays and we are all stuck on mhfun.And personally i think it works fine as it is. There must be some benefits to paid members as against free ones And as regards to for sale or wanted i think we all do the same...Ebay.Sorry but thats my opinion...anyways...have a great new year :):):)

Luckheart
29-12-2013, 13:54
Wints, why would you not want to become a full member??

witzend
29-12-2013, 14:08
Allen I can see your point but I don't think you'll get to many likes on it

Just an observation, but wouldn't it be more advantageous for full (subscribing) members if members were permitted to use the for sale / wanted forum, after all I think there's a lot more of us.
Open up the market, let the B team buy stuff.

regards
Allen

Skar
29-12-2013, 14:33
I'm not sure that members need any particular advantages, I have no need of the POI's as I never stay in England but pay just to support a site that I enjoy and find sometimes useful. No problem for me if advertising is opened to all.

Admin
29-12-2013, 14:44
Free members can reply to for sale threads, they just cannot post new ones.
I.e they can buy but not sell.

Admin
29-12-2013, 14:59

This is not directed at you Wints, it is a general statement about our POI files.

The POI files on this site are protected under copyright. Any person or site publishing or giving away these files is committing an offence and anybody using them without consent is also a thief. No matter what justification they try and use to enable their actions.

Although the data within them is available for free on this site and other sites, the compilation and verification of the data makes it unique. Our data is updated and void locations are removed. A book can hold just a collection of factual data, this does not mean that people can just copy and redistribute the book freely. I would never steal from another person and I would hope that others would not steal from this community.

The POI database has been built up over years, initially by me then through the goodwill of others. Remember that those who contribute DO NOT PAY, so they get membership and access to the database they helped build for free.

ellisboy
29-12-2013, 16:37
The POI files on this site are protected under copyright. Any person or site publishing or giving away these files is committing an offence and anybody using them without consent is also a thief. No matter what justification they try and use to enable their actions.

I don't think this statement is true or has any legal bearing as you can't possibly own and copy write free camping locations.Bit of a silly statement really!

Siimplyloco
29-12-2013, 17:07

I don't think this statement is true or has any legal bearing as you can't possibly own and copy write free camping locations.Bit of a silly statement really!

I think that 'intellectual property' might apply here: it's the media that's sacrosanct, not the info contained therein.
John

vespalien
29-12-2013, 20:30
But other sites offer PoI's for free. They may not be the same PoI's any more as they are edited independently, but I believe they originated from the same original source.

Who cares anyway? It isn't hard to find one's own sites on the hoof.

Admin
30-12-2013, 00:27

This is true and I have already successfully taken action against people.

The FILES are copyrighted

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS