PDA

View Full Version : doctors will travelling

wendywo
30-12-2013, 18:05
Hi hope you all had a lovely Christmas.
I am getting closer to taking to the open road and want to ask any of you who travel and use your camper as your home how you sort out doctors and repeat prescription's etc. I want to sell up and travel for a year in England and then if brave enough abroad. I thank you in advance for any help with this. Sorry for the heading I have tried to change it but no luck it should have been " while " not will

shawbags
30-12-2013, 18:18
I would have thought you could go to any doctor in what ever area you were in , in bude their is or was a large mobile doctors on a supermarket car part maybe just for the holiday season and I had to use it without problem.
Try searching google for some answers , I wouldn't think any doctor could turn you away , and I have used chemists miles away from my doctors , they phoned my surgery to check and that was it , cheers Sghawbags.

wineciccio
30-12-2013, 19:29
now days I think you must have an address before you can register, we had to do the same when we sold our house and full timed for a year, in Liverpool we registered with my sister in law's doctor and down south where we lived before with all three of my sons gp's, we used our old house address for mail and insurance purposes( my second son bought the house), but it was easy no problem, in Albuferia we paid 16 euros each to register with a local gp, but we never used the facilities, plus on top we had our travel (long term insurance).

witzend
30-12-2013, 19:56
Speak to your doctor ours gives us 3 mths prescription at a time also you may get a mth ahead over a few mths. In Spain & Portugal you can buy them from a Chemists with out any problems. France a doctor will give you a prescription but will charge you for it. Other countries I've no experience of

Tbear
30-12-2013, 20:19
Why not just ask your Doctor

Richard

Motorhomelover
30-12-2013, 22:29
I am getting closer to taking to the open road and want to ask any of you who travel and use your camper as your home how you sort out doctors and repeat prescription's etc. I want to sell up and travel for a year in England and then if brave enough abroad. I thank you in advance for any help with this. Sorry for the heading I have tried to change it but no luck it should have been " while " not will

Take you prescription with you
Contact any GPS and they will see you as a temp I have no problem getting my Meds
I sold up in 2011 best thing I ever did. Love full-timing

Motorhomelover
30-12-2013, 22:34

Wendy pay the 15 then message me. I full time since 2011
Best 15 you'll ever spend

Info on here and direct contact with me.
What a new year it is for you hunny bun he he he

Yours Ian

wendywo
31-12-2013, 05:35
Wendy pay the 15 then message me. I full time since 2011
Best 15 you'll ever spend

Info on here and direct contact with me.
What a new year it is for you hunny bun he he he

Yours Ian
Thank you again everyone and Ian the cheque is in the post I am making 2014 my fact finding and motorhome finding year with a few long holidays
to get a feel for it ....wanted to get going last year but events in my life held me up ....So joining is first on my list for 2014... Thanks again everyone
loads more questions.....an address might prove a problem??? anyway looking forward to 2014 happy new year everyone :)

smillingjimmyc
31-12-2013, 07:45
Thank you again everyone and Ian the cheque is in the post I am making 2014 my fact finding and motorhome finding year with a few long holidays
to get a feel for it ....wanted to get going last year but events in my life held me up ....So joining is first on my list for 2014... Thanks again everyone
loads more questions.....an address might prove a problem??? anyway looking forward to 2014 happy new year everyone :)

I have been wondering about this too,I'm in the process of selling my house but at a loss about an address for post etc.What do all you old timers do?

wendywo
31-12-2013, 14:31
I have been wondering about this too,I'm in the process of selling my house but at a loss about an address for post etc.What do all you old timers do?

I have seen a site on line where you can get an address for so much a month and they forward mail to you or you go and pick it up its not a box number
its a proper address they are based in London anyone used this method?

vindiboy
31-12-2013, 16:09
:sad::sad:You have to have an address for your driving licence, vehicle registration and Insurance, no way round that.assuming you are going to remain a British Subject.:sad::sad:

Sharon the Cat
31-12-2013, 17:05
I have seen a site on line where you can get an address for so much a month and they forward mail to you or you go and pick it up its not a box number

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - too risky

RoadTrek Boy
01-01-2014, 09:39
How do the traveling comunity get over this problem?

Colin

John Thompson
01-01-2014, 10:27

The boating community have been using this service for many years and they now offer it to Motorhomers. Mail forwarding and scanning for motorhome owners (http://www.boatmail.co.uk/motorhomemail.html)

Run by ex PO workers and boaters they offer an excellent service.

We use our daughters address for our documents (Vehicle, Licence, Insurance and TV licence) but our nephew for medical as he lives in our old practise area. Our doctor knows that we travel full time and in fact stated it would be good for my health, to spent the winter months in Spain. We get 3 month prescriptions and he issues two before we set off for our continental travels. We have ben full timing since 2009.

Sharon the Cat
01-01-2014, 12:17

Colin

I don't think (presume) that they are particularly bothered about the laws of the land.

RoadTrek Boy
01-01-2014, 13:27
I don't think (presume) that they are particularly bothered about the laws of the land.

Do you (presume) that they can get away with not having a licence to drive and no insurance?...

Colin

John Thompson
01-01-2014, 13:30

Colin

The travelling community have their own network for communications and use that network to keep on the right side of the law.

Seannachie
01-01-2014, 14:23

British Monomarks (http://www.britishmonomarks.co.uk/street-address-prices-more-info)have been doing this securely for years - if fact they are oldest company in the UK (and the first) who run such a service.

Sharon the Cat
01-01-2014, 15:26
Do you (presume) that they can get away with not having a licence to drive and no insurance?...

Colin

See John's post below yours.

Seannachie
01-01-2014, 18:52
The travelling community have their own network for communications and use that network to keep on the right side of the law.

That must mean that they buy bent coppers 'a drink', as none of the travellers around here have RFL, TV licences, pay tax or National Insurance etc. but are rarely bothered by the local 'filth' who prefer to pick on more settled citizens.

Siimplyloco
01-01-2014, 19:00
That must mean that they buy bent coppers 'a drink', as none of the travellers around here have RFL, TV licences, pay tax or National Insurance etc. but are rarely bothered by the local 'filth' who prefer to pick on more settled citizens.

I'm really really glad that I don't go through what's left of my peaceful life with your view of those whose job it is to preserve my tranquility! 'Filth' is a pejorative term usually reserved for use by CHAVs, and I was surprised to see you use it....
John

alisonwo
02-01-2014, 09:14
Make sure you take a recent copy of your repeat prescription list with you everywhere UK or abroad. It confirms all the details to the new doctor and pharmacist who you may visit. You will have to pay to visit a doctor abroad and for the prescriptions to be filled, but I have had no problems at all having travelled for many months abroad and needing urgent repeats filling. In UK you just visit the local doctor a pharmacist will tell you who they are. Try to build up a reserve before you go and as has already been said ask your own doctor for 3 months supply before you go or more if they will give it to you. Alison

janegam
02-01-2014, 13:00
I travel on my own for months at a time- as I have no home in the UK I use a friend for all my correspondence and all official papers- she also has the originals of my will, power of attorney, my living will and all my contact names and a number of signed cheques just in case. She is also my ICE number on my mobile. Has worked really well- if there is anything I really need to sort she scans it and then I go to the local internet place and print it off - this has worked across Europe. Prefer to do it this way as don't really want strangers knowing all my private business.
sure that the doctors prescriptions would work the same as for vets - never had any problem in getting repeat prescriptions, take 3 months supply with me then get all the information on a signed prescripton sheet from my very then the foreign ones will supply- but use common sense- I made sure I had a good supply of drugs before I went over to Greece- not to do with their health system more to do with access to english speaking vets and doctors.
Hope that helps and have a great trip- just go for it, you can spend too much time worrying about what might happen and it never does.

ian81
02-01-2014, 14:10
..remember to try pharmacies. We have managed to purchase 'prescription' (including antibiotics) drugs with nothing more than an empty packet. This has worked in Spain, Greece, Poland and Romania. Talking to other motorhomers we are not alone in this.

Seannachie
02-01-2014, 14:21
I'm really really glad that I don't go through what's left of my peaceful life with your view of those whose job it is to preserve my tranquility! 'Filth' is a pejorative term usually reserved for use by CHAVs, and I was surprised to see you use it....
John

Funny, given that all the coppers I know use it about their colleagues. Oh, and before you ask, I have family members 'in the job'.

;-)

Siimplyloco
02-01-2014, 15:40
Funny, given that all the coppers I know use it about their colleagues. Oh, and before you ask, I have family members 'in the job'.

;-)

How times must have changed! :confused:
John

wendywo
20-01-2014, 09:59
The boating community have been using this service for many years and they now offer it to Motorhomers. Mail forwarding and scanning for motorhome owners (http://www.boatmail.co.uk/motorhomemail.html)

We use our daughters address for our documents (Vehicle, Licence, Insurance and TV licence) but our nephew for medical as he lives in our old practise area. Our doctor knows that we travel full time and in fact stated it would be good for my health, to spent the winter months in Spain. We get 3 month prescriptions and he issues two before we set off for our continental travels. We have ben full timing since 2009.
Thank you for this very informative answer.
Now all we need to do is find the motorhome sell the house and we are off ....I think we have waited long enough to get going our full membership is in the post,

wendywo
20-01-2014, 10:03
Make sure you take a recent copy of your repeat prescription list with you everywhere UK or abroad. It confirms all the details to the new doctor and pharmacist who you may visit. You will have to pay to visit a doctor abroad and for the prescriptions to be filled, but I have had no problems at all having travelled for many months abroad and needing urgent repeats filling. In UK you just visit the local doctor a pharmacist will tell you who they are. Try to build up a reserve before you go and as has already been said ask your own doctor for 3 months supply before you go or more if they will give it to you. Alison
Thank you Alison this has been very helpful.

wendywo
20-01-2014, 10:08
..remember to try pharmacies. We have managed to purchase 'prescription' (including antibiotics) drugs with nothing more than an empty packet. This has worked in Spain, Greece, Poland and Romania. Talking to other motorhomers we are not alone in this.
Thank you Ian very helpful we had heard you could do this but now you have confirmed it we can't wait to get going. Everything is becoming a lot clearer thanks to this site and its members ....hope to meet some of you when we have found our motorhome!! so many to choose from..

wendywo
20-01-2014, 10:33
I travel on my own for months at a time- as I have no home in the UK I use a friend for all my correspondence and all official papers- she also has the originals of my will, power of attorney, my living will and all my contact names and a number of signed cheques just in case. She is also my ICE number on my mobile. Has worked really well- if there is anything I really need to sort she scans it and then I go to the local internet place and print it off - this has worked across Europe. Prefer to do it this way as don't really want strangers knowing all my private business.
sure that the doctors prescriptions would work the same as for vets - never had any problem in getting repeat prescriptions, take 3 months supply with me then get all the information on a signed prescripton sheet from my very then the foreign ones will supply- but use common sense- I made sure I had a good supply of drugs before I went over to Greece- not to do with their health system more to do with access to english speaking vets and doctors.
Hope that helps and have a great trip- just go for it, you can spend too much time worrying about what might happen and it never does.
Thank you we had thought of using a friend for mail etc but did not feel we could put them to this trouble. We have no relative's in the uk but we now have found the mailing service so we can use that. The prescription situation seems a lot clearer now thanks to all for answering my question.

wendywo
29-01-2014, 22:51
would love to hear from full timers ...and how you are getting on ...solo or not...... is there a group here?? :)

wendywo
14-02-2014, 11:05

Hi there getting closer to taking to the road now so wanted to ask have you used this service??? Thank you:wave:

FULL TIMER
14-02-2014, 12:23
IF you have no UK address to use you may come up against it when trying to get vehicle insurance most of the others including DVLA will accept a contact address I believe, There is however proper fulltimers insurance available but limited suppliers so as you can imagine not cheap. We got over all the problems by using my parents address, which also happens to be my work address and I'm on the electoral roll. This makes life a lot simpler. Another thing re TV licence you don't actually need one for a "touring caravan" when we first started out fulltime after explaining our situation to the TV licence people I was told we needed one, after a while I found a clause on their website I called them told them about it and where it was on the website and they confirmed that I was right and sent me a refund, have to say this was back in 2006 and we did have a caravan at the time havn't bothered since and don't see why it would be different for a motor caravan.

wendywo
14-02-2014, 13:00
IF you have no UK address to use you may come up against it when trying to get vehicle insurance most of the others including DVLA will accept a contact address I believe, There is however proper fulltimers insurance available but limited suppliers so as you can imagine not cheap. We got over all the problems by using my parents address, which also happens to be my work address and I'm on the electoral roll. This makes life a lot simpler. Another thing re TV licence you don't actually need one for a "touring caravan" when we first started out fulltime after explaining our situation to the TV licence people I was told we needed one, after a while I found a clause on their website I called them told them about it and where it was on the website and they confirmed that I was right and sent me a refund, have to say this was back in 2006 and we did have a caravan at the time havn't bothered since and don't see why it would be different for a motor caravan.
Thank you for the reply this does seem to be the stumbling block at the moment..... I have been in touch with the mailing company and they have said we will be ok using this service for car insurance etc??? I will have to try and find someone who has actually used the service to see if it works Thanks for the info re tv licence:)

wendywo
14-02-2014, 16:03
So using a friends address is also a bad idea??? How do people get round this then??:sad:

FULL TIMER
14-02-2014, 18:09
So using a friends address is also a bad idea??? How do people get round this then??:sad:

Without being a bit economical with the true facts etc the only way is to take out a proper fulltimers policy, from memory I think it is Comfort who do this policy. It hasn't been a problem for us as we are officially registered as living in my parents granny annexe, so in reality we do have an address no matter how little time we spend there

martinmartin
14-02-2014, 18:17
get yourself an address and let sleeping dogs lie.

wendywo
14-02-2014, 23:19
Ok I have found another site called motorhome 365 I covers most of this and is also campaigning to make things easier for full timers very interesting. They mention Comfort insurance so thanks again everyone Its all becoming clearer:D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS