PDA

View Full Version : Whitby & Scarborough

ian234
04-01-2014, 08:45
Well almost a week spent on the lovely East Yorkshire Coast with only one soaking! For information we spent three really quiet (non-consecutive) nights on the large car park behind the Co-op car park in Whitby paying 6 for 24 hours so we could relax over breakfast and go out walking for the day.
You can buy a 5 parking permit from the tourist office in Whitby in multiples which save you 1 each day.
Also spent three (non-consecutive) nights on the Sea Life Centre car park in Scarborough where the parking meters have been disbanded until 1st March. There is a generator here running some security lights but we could barely hear it.
There are NO 'no sleeping' or 'no overnight parking' signs at either of these car parks, and we were not on our own at either. We double checked both car parks by walking the full perimeter - there are no signs displayed preventing overnight stays.
Please don't abuse it - we stay two nights max and move on. We don't empty our waste tanks on the car park (as one other did in Whitby this morning), we don't leave rubbish and always find a space which our 6m PVC fits into (just). We don't empty our cassette into public toilets.
There are spotless loos next to the Whitby car park, but none at Scarborough unless you visit the Sea Life Centre.
Happy camping!

Tbear
04-01-2014, 09:13
Maybe local businesses will see you as tourist money in the lean time of year.

Richard

ian234
04-01-2014, 09:54
We've spent almost 200 in the week we've been here - fish & chips, coffees, sandwiches, supermarket shopping, the odd cask ale here and there!

maureenandtom
04-01-2014, 11:13
Nice to see that Island Man's campaign seems to be working.

Overnight Occupancy Prohibited Signs To Be Removed | North Yorkshire Overnight Parking (http://northyorkshireovernightparking.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/overnight-occupancy-prohibited-signs-to-be-removed/)

mhp
04-01-2014, 12:10
I wouldn't be surprised if people have got away with parking in prohibited places in the Scarborough/Whitby area purely because of the time of year. Possibly not worth paying enforcement officers overnight because of a low incidence of people camping there?

From what Island Man says on his web site, the signs have been removed purely because of the wording not because the order is invalid. Information NYCC gave me is that Motorhomes are not permitted to park between the hours of 11pm and 7am each day on certain streets. See Here (http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/27877/Where-are-motorhomes-allowed-to-park).

The off-street orders are entirely separate, being made by Scarborough BC, not NYCC.

So I think the watchword must be beware. Just because people have not been ticketed at this time of year does not mean it won't happen at other times.

sasquatch
04-01-2014, 13:32
Nice to see that Island Man's campaign seems to be working.

Overnight Occupancy Prohibited Signs To Be Removed | North Yorkshire Overnight Parking (http://northyorkshireovernightparking.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/overnight-occupancy-prohibited-signs-to-be-removed/)
And replaced with what? I don't trust the self serving attitude of Councils and Councillors,especially those with vested interests in holiday areas!
But in the meantime Excellent work,well done!

mhp
04-01-2014, 14:23
And replaced with what? I don't trust the self serving attitude of Councils and Councillors,especially those with vested interests in holiday areas!
But in the meantime Excellent work,well done!

What is self serving about councils responding to complaints from their local residents? As the Dirty Motorhomers thread shows us, not all motorhomers are perfect by any means. If allowing motorhomers to overnight is to be accepted then local councils need to be shown real evidence that there is an overall benefit to be gained.

maureenandtom
04-01-2014, 17:33
Let's be clear. Whatever the reason for introducing the temporary restriction in mph's link, Where are motorhomes allowed to park? - North Yorkshire County Council (http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/27877/Where-are-motorhomes-allowed-to-park) it was not in response to complaints from residents.

The council's response to my FoI request is that there have been no complaints on the streets listed in mph's link, repeated above, during the past three years. Three years was the period I gave in my FoI question.

maingate
04-01-2014, 18:08
I wouldn't be surprised if people have got away with parking in prohibited places in the Scarborough/Whitby area purely because of the time of year. Possibly not worth paying enforcement officers overnight because of a low incidence of people camping there?

From what Island Man says on his web site, the signs have been removed purely because of the wording not because the order is invalid. Information NYCC gave me is that Motorhomes are not permitted to park between the hours of 11pm and 7am each day on certain streets. See Here (http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/27877/Where-are-motorhomes-allowed-to-park).

The off-street orders are entirely separate, being made by Scarborough BC, not NYCC.

So I think the watchword must be beware. Just because people have not been ticketed at this time of year does not mean it won't happen at other times.

As far as I know, the Scalby Mills car park was never on the list of no go areas for motorhomes. The proprietors actually want motorhomes to overnight there as they have had problems overnight with break ins and damage. They believe it makes a big difference when the car park is not deserted.

mhp
04-01-2014, 19:20
Let's be clear. Whatever the reason for introducing the temporary restriction in mph's link, Where are motorhomes allowed to park? - North Yorkshire County Council (http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/27877/Where-are-motorhomes-allowed-to-park) it was not in response to complaints from residents.

The council's response to my FoI request is that there have been no complaints on the streets listed in mph's link, repeated above, during the past three years. Three years was the period I gave in my FoI question.

Thank you. I understood that the original signs (those without legal order backing which were removed) were erected as a result of complaints. That, of course, would be more than 3 years ago. Did you obtain a copy of the report giving the reason(s) for making the current order(s)?

maureenandtom
04-01-2014, 19:33
No.

The overnight parking restriction of motorhomes on those streets is authorised by a temporary order. There was no public consultation.

mhp
04-01-2014, 19:36
As far as I know, the Scalby Mills car park was never on the list of no go areas for motorhomes. The proprietors actually want motorhomes to overnight there as they have had problems overnight with break ins and damage. They believe it makes a big difference when the car park is not deserted.

I don't know what list you are referring to but the restriction in off-street car parks in Scarborough was not to do with desirability or not of allowing overnighting. Indeed, reports from early in 2012 (or was it late 2011?) indicate that several members and officers were in favour. What killed it off was the planning policy which has been in place for several years and has prevented several applications from the private sector for establishing camp sites to be rejected. The council could not treat their own application differently or they would have laid themselves at risk of legal action for not being impartial.

mhp
04-01-2014, 19:39
No.

The overnight parking restriction of motorhomes on those streets is authorised by a temporary order. There was no public consultation.

Thanks again. That being the case then there will have to be an opportunity for public consultation when the order expires, if it is to be made permanent. That seems to afford the ideal opportunity to put together a case to prove the desirability of allowing overnighting on those streets for economic and whatever other reasons can be identified.

maureenandtom
04-01-2014, 20:37
Maingate is right that Scalby Mills was never on a list of no go areas for motorhomes; to the council it still isn't.

Scalby Mills is still on the list where overnight parking of motorhomes is permitted. What is not permitted, in whatever form the council has chosen on our behalf, is effectively the overnight occupancy of motor vehicles. Probably in the form of "No Overnight Sleeping" or "No cooking, camping, sleeping", or something of this sort. It's all been published here before.

There is a list of off-street car parks where overnight (hours specified) parking of motorhomes is not permitted, though, I believe, parking outside those hours is still permitted. That list is here http://www.scarborough.gov.uk/pdf/Amendment%20Order%202012.pdf. There is also a list of car parks (there are 34 on it) where overnight parking (but not occupancy) is permitted.

fregt25
09-10-2014, 07:29
Has anyone parked in Whitby recently? we are thinking of going up for the goth weekend.

qazitory
18-10-2014, 21:12
Has anyone parked in Whitby recently? we are thinking of going up for the goth weekend.

We are thinking of the same :)
last time we got there late and parked in the abbey car park. As it was dark we didn't see the no camping overnight signs!!

There is no free spaces at any campsite in the area so wild camping will have to do!

John Thompson
19-10-2014, 07:32
Thanks again. That being the case then there will have to be an opportunity for public consultation when the order expires, if it is to be made permanent. That seems to afford the ideal opportunity to put together a case to prove the desirability of allowing overnighting on those streets for economic and whatever other reasons can be identified.

Graham this is a renewal of a previous temporary order. SBC are just renewing these temporary orders, so no consultation. Ceredigion County Council were openly discussing doing the same thing for Aberystwyth. No consultation was the point made in the text for that proposal.

Quote from Ceredigion County Council "the proposal was to be introduced experimentally and therefore not subject to the full formal consultation process for, in effect, the first six months of an Experimental Order is the consultation process. Notwithstanding this, further options (which again are likely to be experimental) are due to go before Cabinet "

John

fregt25
20-10-2014, 12:18
Can we park in the co op car park and the ones behind? what about the one over the river by the endevour pub?

alcam
20-10-2014, 13:25
The car park referred to has allowed overnighting for 3 years anyway. I saw a small printed notice behind the counter at the TO some time ago saying it was ok. I last parked there in August. Don't know if it's unofficial but it is to be commended

glen ozzy
26-10-2014, 19:56

hI just had 2 nights on the large car park behind the co-op car park in Whitby 6 for 24 hours we are gowing for the goth weekend 31-1-2 Autoquesst 270 say hi :wave:

fregt25
28-10-2014, 14:39
we will be there in our vw t25, i'll pop over and say hi!

hI just had 2 nights on the large car park behind the co-op car park in Whitby 6 for 24 hours we are gowing for the goth weekend 31-1-2 Autoquesst 270 say hi :wave:

sikwemu
29-10-2014, 10:01
That's an idea-is there room for an Autotrail?

fregt25
30-10-2014, 17:39
Well we here and about 10 motor homes here

Obanboy666
30-10-2014, 17:45
Emailed Whitby tourist information this morning regarding motor home parking in Whitby. I would have included a link to the reply but don't know how to.
They said the following - yes, motor homes are allowed to park in any long stay carpark. If the vehicle exceeds 1 bay you have to pay for 2 or it may be cheaper to use a coach bay.
The message then stated on no account are you allowed to sleep in the vehicle overnight.

Not sure how will they will 'police' this, I doubt whether they will have anyone checking up so it might be worth a try.

fregt25
31-10-2014, 08:39
Well we stayed over last night, no problems at all. See what happens tonight. There are about 15 of us here now.

fregt25
31-10-2014, 08:41
That's an idea-is there room for an Autotrail?

There are some here but they are over hanging nr the back wall. Standard spaces otherwise

molly 2
31-10-2014, 09:02
What is self serving about councils responding to complaints from their local residents? As the Dirty Motorhomers thread shows us, not all motorhomers are perfect by any means. If allowing motorhomers to overnight is to be accepted then local councils need to be shown real evidence that there is an overall benefit to be gained. The only benefit. Nycc wants to see is their camp sites full.

Rod
31-10-2014, 12:26
We stopped in the back marina car park last friday and saturday night with out any problems.

There was a large motorhome parked across 3 bays they had paid and displayed 3 tickest and were there when we arrived Friday and when we left Sunday.

4 other motorhomes Saturday night. No problems sleeping over night. The other carparks have signs banning motorhomes 11pm to 7am.

In the summer there were vans parked with stabilisers down and looking as if they were staying for a while.

Enjoy your time in whitby

fregt25
31-10-2014, 23:39
Well tonight there are about 50 of us here staying, car park packed with cars as well reckon it's 70% occupancy. No hassle last night today or so far. We going tomorrow. It's now 6.50 for 24 hours.

antiquesam
01-11-2014, 07:18
At 50 vans it seems more like a campsite than a wildcamping weekend, I expect there will be letters to the paper and probably justifiable comp:sad:laints

helen262
01-11-2014, 08:27
We stayed at blue bank last night,it got rather blustery,just going down to Whitby but sounds like finding somewhere to park could be problematic

maureenandtom
01-11-2014, 09:20
At 50 vans it seems more like a campsite than a wildcamping weekend, I expect there will be letters to the paper and probably justifiable comp:sad:laints

Why justifiable? What is justifiable about complaining about a motor vehicle legally parked? Too many of them? No good complaining about that - we all know there's too many motor vehicles on our roads. Might as well complain that too many of them are German, or Japanese or ...... Motorhomes.

We apologise for ourselves too much. Let's be straight about one thing. Neither North Yorks County Council nor Scarborough Borough council have received as much as one complaint about motor caravans.

The council have always said complaints are about waste disposal. There are none.

Edit: Somehow my last paragraph got lost when I uploaded the image.

Obanboy666
01-11-2014, 09:45
Why justifiable? What is justifiable about complaining about a motor vehicle legally parked? Too many of them? No good complaining about that - we all know there's too many motor vehicles on our roads. Might as well complain that too many of them are German, or Japanese or ...... Motorhomes.

We apologise for ourselves too much. Let's be straight about one thing. Neither North Yorks County Council nor Scarborough Borough council have received as much as one complaint about motor caravans.

To many motor homes on the roads ? How do you make that out ? Far more caravans and cars. Motorhomes must make up a minute % of road users out of the grand total of vehicles on our roads.
I hope no official has been around taking vehicle details regarding 'no overnight sleeping ' in motor homes or there could well be quite a number of unhappy campers if they decide to prosecute.
I was tempted to use the parking and chance sleeping but if there is that many using it I will head in country for some solitude, sounds to me like a travellers site lol !

just jane
01-11-2014, 09:51
To many motor homes on the roads ? How do you make that out ? Far more caravans and cars. Motorhomes must make up a minute % of road users out of the grand total of vehicles on our roads.
I hope no official has been around taking vehicle details regarding 'no overnight sleeping ' in motor homes or there could well be quite a number of unhappy campers if they decide to prosecute.
I was tempted to use the parking and chance sleeping but if there is that many using it I will head in country for some solitude, sounds to me like a travellers site lol !

I think you are mistaken, maureenandtom is not saying there are too many motorhomes on the road just vehicles in general.

Many towns however overlook their parking restrictions while an event is going on over a weekend and Im sure Whitby is not regularly that busy

channa
01-11-2014, 09:57
At 50 vans it seems more like a campsite than a wildcamping weekend, I expect there will be letters to the paper and probably justifiable comp:sad:laints ten times the number of a cl at full capacity!!.

I do think 50 is unusual more to the fact halloween, goths and Whitby's dracula connections etc.( I think you will see a fraction of that on a normal weekend)

A forward thinking council, would consider this and accomodate for the following year, I believe councils have a duty to assist visitors to the town, thus benefiting local business and residents who are employed by them.

Sadly something tells me this wont be the case, and if Scarborough are true to form they will put on their tourist prevention officer hats.

Channa

Obanboy666
01-11-2014, 10:33
I think you are mistaken, maureenandtom is not saying there are too many motorhomes on the road just vehicles in general.

Many towns however overlook their parking restrictions while an event is going on over a weekend and Im sure Whitby is not regularly that busy

Oops, must take more care lol !
Often visited Whitby in the past and can count on one hand when it wasn't extremely busy. Can still remember one visit with my late wife when we decided to visit late afternoon for fish and chips. As I recall it was the Regatta weekend and to our amazement cars were queuing from Whitby approx 5 miles up the moors road to Guisborough. We drove straight in and parked up with no problems.

The volumn of traffic on the roads is one of the reasons I visit Northern Scotland so often, up there in 2 weeks time.
Quiet roads and wonderful scenery.

antiquesam
01-11-2014, 11:19
I'm afraid that 50 vans on a car park would be intimidating to me and discourage me from using that amenity. This is just my opinion but I would be complaining to my councillor if that many vans overnighted in one place close to me.

channa
01-11-2014, 11:37
I'm afraid that 50 vans on a car park would be intimidating to me and discourage me from using that amenity. This is just my opinion but I would be complaining to my councillor if that many vans overnighted in one place close to me. I think as one offs, it should be accommodated, if you have ever passed through Lourdes this is nothing no idea of the figure but if I were told 2000 that wouldnt surprise me.

If of course 50 vans were a regular occurence, a sensibly laid out "aire" type arrangement would benefit everyone. say 6 per night place to dump grey and black ..token meter for a bit of water or electric if you need .it ...sorry just remembered in England not France !!.. The aire at Oradour sur Glane I would suggests holds at least 50 vans and it works well for all concerned. When I was there, it was high season people sharing pitches. and it still wasnt horrendous.

Other aires left too busy. frankly poorly laid out

Councils are missing an opportunity with motorhomes campers whatever term you choose, However in the grand scale we are a small proportion of potential visitors so i can never see the resources channelled to facilitate an acceptable solution.

Channa

fregt25
03-11-2014, 09:44
Also there were quite afew dirty motorhomers, emptying down drains etc. Most of them left before 9.30 on saturday morning so assume they didn't pay. We paid for thur to saturday and left early.

clf86ha
03-11-2014, 13:47

It wasn't just motorhomes parked up overnight, so how are the council going to prove van/car/motorhome owners slept overnight, when it was Halloween and people were partying through the night till the next morning, unless they can see inside/woke people up

Obanboy666
03-11-2014, 15:57
It wasn't just motorhomes parked up overnight, so how are the council going to prove van/car/motorhome owners slept overnight, when it was Halloween and people were partying through the night till the next morning, unless they can see inside/woke people up

Good point, highly unlikely anyone will be prosecuted.
Personnelly speaking I won't overnight anywhere there is a notice stating no camping / sleeping overnight regardless of the legality of the signage.
Just don't want the hassle, would rather move on. Was on the North York moors yesterday at Poi Hob Hole. Beautiful location but large Boulder with no camping stencilled on it so moved on. Would hate to be awoken during the night by anyone regardless of whether they were a National park official or not.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS