PDA

View Full Version : Loo disposal on Mull.

4maddogs
04-01-2014, 17:25
I am off to Mull next week, but all the campsites are shut. I usually wild but book into a site for housekeeping duties! The one I use often opens up the chemical disposal, taps and a hookup for a small fee, but they are also away so no luck with that.

I can find water, but loo disposal concerns me so any ideas, please for disposal on Mull. I think the public loos at Salen will be closed for the winter.

Any help gratefully received.
Julie

sasquatch
04-01-2014, 18:08
In the past wilding I have used the gelling type cat litter in a bin bag in a bucket,the solid can then be sealed,double bagged and disposed of in a bin or skip. Also an extra toilet cassette can extend your toilet use.

4maddogs
05-01-2014, 16:40
In the past wilding I have used the gelling type cat litter in a bin bag in a bucket,the solid can then be sealed,double bagged and disposed of in a bin or skip. Also an extra toilet cassette can extend your toilet use.

Thanks. Cat litter is a really good idea. I will buy a dedicated collapsible (but sturdy enough!) bucket. Delicate question, but does it solidify OK??

I have considered a second cassette, but have nowhere to store it when full....really do not fancy having it inside!

vespalien
05-01-2014, 17:01
Thanks. Cat litter is a really good idea. I will buy a dedicated collapsible (but sturdy enough!) bucket. Delicate question, but does it solidify OK??

I have considered a second cassette, but have nowhere to store it when full....really do not fancy having it inside!

We keep ours in the shower. Only occasionally need it & then generally only for a day or so before we find a place to empty it. The big benefit of a spare cassette is that you can swop over in seconds wherever you happen to be so never get caught short.

If you use bio liquid or powder you can empty in any public loo or even bury the contents on a quiet beach well below high water or in a remote inland location with no long term problems. If using a pub or hotel at any time, ask them if you can use their foul drains, there will probably be a manhole accessible in the car park that can be lifted & replaced for the purpose.

Bondy1
05-01-2014, 17:26
think you can use the harbour toilets and showers for a fee at tobermory main car park.

sasquatch
05-01-2014, 17:39

The litter initially has the appearance of a coarse powder,when it is wet it expands and resembles wallpaper paste, it must be the gelling type.
A few years ago at Glastonbury I had a stool,the type you sit on, from IKEA which is like a black bin,turn it upside down and put the double bin liner in,being a stool it can support the weight. As with anything in the van a lot of stuff needs to have a dual purpose,when on the road it carries dirty stuff and in use it can also be the extra seat. When I had my VW I had a Porta Potti,my wife made a cover for it incorporating a cushion and that too became a seat.

Tbear
05-01-2014, 18:03
We keep ours in the shower. Only occasionally need it & then generally only for a day or so before we find a place to empty it. The big benefit of a spare cassette is that you can swop over in seconds wherever you happen to be so never get caught short.

If you use bio liquid or powder you can empty in any public loo or even bury the contents on a quiet beach well below high water or in a remote inland location with no long term problems. If using a pub or hotel at any time, ask them if you can use their foul drains, there will probably be a manhole accessible in the car park that can be lifted & replaced for the purpose.

Not a good idea to dump human waste on a beach. Better to stay away from water, public and recreational areas. Rough ground and as deep as you can is better.

Richard

vespalien
05-01-2014, 19:27
Not a good idea to dump human waste on a beach. Better to stay away from water, public and recreational areas. Rough ground and as deep as you can is better.

Richard

Not ON a beach, UNDER it. Dig a hole well below HW, the next tide will disperse it. The vast majority of small boats with loos flush with sea water straight into the sea with just a strainer to break up the solids. An occasional cassette of bio treated human waste will have little impact on water or beach. Clearly This is not a sensible idea for Blackpool on a summer Bank Holiday weekend, but a deserted Mull beach is quite a different proposition.

Bearing in mind that most reservoirs are surrounded by grazing (& pooping) sheep, cattle, deer, foxes, badgers etc etc. Oh & not to mention the dead carcases that rot away in the catchment area, I wouldn't stress too much about being "close" to water. The earth is a very good filter 50mtrs would probably ensure it was safe enough. Raw sewage is fed into waterways via Reed beds as a filter as a safe & healthy eco-friendly waste disposal system.

Tbear
05-01-2014, 19:38
Our reputation is bad enough without people marching down beaches with full toilet cassettes. Imagine the affect of a picture of it in a local newspaper.

Fish poo in reservoirs but it is still illegal to deposit human waste near waterways that drain into them.

Richard

4maddogs
05-01-2014, 20:12
Yes, the harbour building, Taigh Solais has showers and loos, but are fairly busy so I don't fancy trying to empty a cassette there. Imagine if there was a leak.....

The marina tap is my main source of freshwater. Not the easiest to get to, but I can do it with a hose. I have never asked about loo disposal, but i presume most marinas have a boat offload so not suitable for us?

Not sure about digging holes, but I suppose in an emergency a hike over the moors would do the job.

How much cat gel do you need to use for a full cassette?

Tbear
05-01-2014, 21:08
Not something I have done but some people split their waste. Solid waste only in the cassette and use a bucket or bottle for urine which is much easier to get rid of. Cassette lasts a lot longer and some claim does not smell as badly.
Personally, I would add a generous amount of Bio Liquid.

Richard

Bondy1
06-01-2014, 06:37
Lots of boats use cassete's I'm sure there is a point at the harbour to empty them also I have never seen the toilets at Calgary bay locked so maybe try there.

barryd
06-01-2014, 10:51
Is there not a tourist information open or even a town hall? Might be worth a call just to say you are coming to the island and as a responsible motorhomer you wish to dispose of your waste properly. They should be able to tell you what is open I would have thought.

Tco
06-01-2014, 11:36
Of course, years ago burying was the standard method. Even on Certificated Location above Hawes, the farmer was surprised that we didn't realise that. And of course in the days when you really could camp wild in the New Forest, (buy a camping permit and away you go, pretty well anywhere you like and WAY off the road), burying was the only thing to do. The only thing you had to watch was that the hole was deep enough and the ponies didn't lean on your van in the night!

vespalien
06-01-2014, 13:00
Lots of boats use cassete's I'm sure there is a point at the harbour to empty them also I have never seen the toilets at Calgary bay locked so maybe try there.

Maybe on inland waters where sea toilets are (rightly) banned because of the much increased density of people & boats and, in the canals, with the added problem of very low flow rates. But in coastal areas only marinas encourage use of pump out holding tanks. Furthermore, cassette toilets are rare because of limited facilities for emptying - many seagoing craft spend weeks away from marina facilities & some never go anywhere near them. Mull is not known for it's marinas, in fact I doubt it has a single one.

Public toilets are the easy way to go if not closed.

runnach
06-01-2014, 14:50
Maybe on inland waters where sea toilets are (rightly) banned because of the much increased density of people & boats and, in the canals, with the added problem of very low flow rates. But in coastal areas only marinas encourage use of pump out holding tanks. Furthermore, cassette toilets are rare because of limited facilities for emptying - many seagoing craft spend weeks away from marina facilities & some never go anywhere near them. Mull is not known for it's marinas, in fact I doubt it has a single one.

Public toilets are the easy way to go if not closed.

Ahem, Tobermory Marina.

Isle of Mull Harbour Information, Isle of Mull Marina Information (http://www.harbourguides.com/harbours.php/Isle_of_Mull)

4maddogs
14-01-2014, 20:01
The campsite at Craignure has let me stay/use facilities so I have been able to empty/take on water/even hookup!

Plenty of wildcamping spots too and I have never had a problem here. Most things are shut at present now.

runnach
14-01-2014, 20:41
The campsite at Craignure has let me stay/use facilities so I have been able to empty/take on water/even hookup!

Plenty of wildcamping spots too and I have never had a problem here. Most things are shut at present now.

I assume you are using Shieling holiday site, which closes for winter month. Your post is a good example of how the islanders will bend over backwards to help MH owners, even out of season.

For balance, though, peak times, there maybe other owners who rock the boat, I'm still curious to know what the problems are with WC'ers on Mull?

4maddogs
14-01-2014, 21:28
I haven't come across any problems here.....only getting stuck on the hill up to Grasspoint...ahem!

My only issue is that there are almost no stopping points (for cars either) at many of the places/viewpoints that you would want to stop at. I did hear that some were going to be created, but no sign yet. In the summer some people abuse the passing places, but not a big problem. Some drivers do not learn how to drive on single lane roads...eg crossing to the other side to enter a passing place instead of stopping adjacent to it!

There are 2 or 3 palces with no overnight signs...Tobermory car park (but people do and it is not challenged), Garmony point (again not challenged), by Aros (you wouldn't really want to as it is a small spot bang on the road) and a height restriction by Loch Scridain (quite baffling that one).

BTW Shielings only charged half price to reflect the shower block is shut, but as I use the van that suits me fine....free wifi too. They are very helpful.

runnach
14-01-2014, 21:39
Pleased to hear you are having a great time and, a trouble free tour. Did you try Macgochans Bar, do you know how the name was acquired, if not, ask the Mull Man???? :ninja:

Ps, very decent of campsite to part open up for you.

Alf
15-01-2014, 09:18
Its a question of who is right about this point, many time noting the speed of the oncoming vehicle it is obvious they are locals or delivery vehicles buses etc noting this and the absence of traffic behind crossing to the other side give the oncoming vehicle a clear run to pass you as a courtesy, this depends onconditions on the day and not a general rule

Alf

. Some drivers do not learn how to drive on single lane roads...eg crossing to the other side to enter a passing place instead of stopping adjacent to it!

runnach
15-01-2014, 12:30
I haven't come across any problems here.....only getting stuck on the hill up to Grasspoint...ahem!

I found Grass Point disappointing, purely from a parking point of view, space is very limited. Not worth the drive down in a large MH.

Cheers........

vespalien
15-01-2014, 12:52
Ahem, Tobermory Marina.

Isle of Mull Harbour Information, Isle of Mull Marina Information (http://www.harbourguides.com/harbours.php/Isle_of_Mull)

Nice try, but Tobermory is a HARBOUR, not a marina & does not appear to have any black water pump out facilities for boats. There may be some thing suitable down by the ferry ramp, but I have never checked.

I say again, altho there are lots of lovely small harbours and anchorages around Mull, there do not appear to be any marinas with pump out facilities. There are marinas with full facilities at Oban, Dunstaffnage and Croabh Haven & possibly Ardfern, but not much use if you are not in a boat as they are on the mainland. Public toilets are probably the best bet for emptying cassettes, seagoing boats mostly use sea toilets that discharge directly into the sea.

runnach
15-01-2014, 13:04
Ledaig car par park was greatly increased many years ago, toilet/shower facilities are all new, so are the pontoons, all this work was done to create a Marina for mariners. I don't have it now, I did have half share of a mooring, I can clearly recall mooring RHIB, then finning over to pontoons.

Whether there are pump out facilities, I do no know? See google map of pontoons.............

http://goo.gl/maps/1aptD

vespalien
15-01-2014, 13:33
So, Tobermory Harbour Association have installed pontoons, an excellent development of the harbour too, but not a marina as such, and in all the facilities offered and charges levied, still no mention of black waste disposal or toilet pump out facilities. I would however hope that there would be a public toilet associated with the car park, especially given the "Balamory" connection that drove so much tourism some years back.

You can call it a marina if you want, but they still call themselves the Harbour Association and have a Harbour Master, rather than Marina Manager.

runnach
15-01-2014, 18:02
So, Tobermory Harbour Association have installed pontoons, an excellent development of the harbour too, but not a marina as such, and in all the facilities offered and charges levied, still no mention of black waste disposal or toilet pump out facilities. I would however hope that there would be a public toilet associated with the car park, especially given the "Balamory" connection that drove so much tourism some years back.

You can call it a marina if you want, but they still call themselves the Harbour Association and have a Harbour Master, rather than Marina Manager.

You are being pedantic, Tobermory is a natural harbour, similar with Scapa Flow, which uses the natural geology of the land to create a safe haven for shipping, if and when required. From Armada ships such as, the San Juan De Sicilia.

Site Record for San Juan De Sicilia: Tobermory Bay, Sound Of Mull Santa Maria De Gracia Y San Juan Bautisa; Tobermory Treasure; Tobermory Galleon; Almirante De Florencia; Florencion; Florida; Brod MartolosiDetails Details (http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/22320/details/san+juan+de+sicilia+tobermory+bay+sound+of+mull/)

To modern day cruise ships, which anchor in bay, then taxi passengers over to Tob. Harbour is a trust, all profits used for up keep and expand facilities, which they have done, by creating a Marina for mariners, nothing to do with wee kids living the Balamory experience.

Sail Scotland: Tobermory Harbour Association (http://www.sailscotland.co.uk/content/template.php?mb_id=71)

runnach
16-01-2014, 05:49
Spoke to my mate late last night. He lives in tob, locals call area at carpark?.

Marina. :-)

Mullsy
17-01-2014, 16:10
I found Grass Point disappointing, purely from a parking point of view, space is very limited. Not worth the drive down in a large MH.

Cheers........

They are opening up Grasspoint to make parking easier.I only go down there because it's a good spot for the Sea Eagle.Not sure what was said over MH's,but this was in the December council notes...... Wild Camping & Campervans
:
After
much discussion
about the definition of wild
camping
it was agreed that no action is required.

runnach
17-01-2014, 17:13
They are opening up Grasspoint to make parking easier.I only go down there because it's a good spot for the Sea Eagle.Not sure what was said over MH's,but this was in the December council notes...... Wild Camping & Campervans
:
After
much discussion
about the definition of wild
camping
it was agreed that no action is required.

Hey, thanks for reply, Mullsy. Are there links to minutes you mention, please?

Are you resident on the island, reason I ask is, a recent post made mention of wild camping being an issue on Mull????

Thanks in advance and.....................cheers.

Mullsy
17-01-2014, 20:29

Are you resident on the island, reason I ask is, a recent post made mention of wild camping being an issue on Mull????

Hi Runnach,no I am not a resident but go up there 3/4 times a year,mainly for the wildlife.Fantastic place.Here's a link to the December notes.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mull+council+notes+dec+2013&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=fJ_ZUr3QDoKShQf2sYG4BA

There is also a mention in sept/oct notes.The problem is,they have changed from a more thorough breakdown of what gets said to the very brief notes that are now reported,presumably to save money.The Dec notes report Salen toilets now closed which is a bummer........

Mullsy
17-01-2014, 20:40

Hi Runnach,no I am not a resident but go up there 3/4 times a year,mainly for the wildlife.Fantastic place.Here's a link to the December notes.

http://www.roundandaboutmull.co.uk/assets/MCCminutes/MCC%20Dec%202013%20Minutes_Final%20Draft.pdf

runnach
18-01-2014, 12:16
Thanks for link, Mullsy. Although a community council meeting, meet included elected officials and, police. I seems clear from reading report, WC is not an issue. Which is not what someone posted on this site very recently!!

"MULL COMMUNITY COUNCIL (MCC) FINAL DRAFT MEETING MINUTES
10th December 2013."

"5. 1 Wild Camping & Campervans: After much discussion about the definition of wild
camping it was agreed that no action is required."

Cheers.............

Mullsy
18-01-2014, 15:56
Hi Runnach,reading another months edition ,it was a reaction to something that was originally brought up by A and B council but cant find out what was said.Never had a problem on Mull,in fact,the local officers come to recognise you on their travels and give you a wave.Great place.

runnach
18-01-2014, 17:31
Hi Runnach,reading another months edition ,it was a reaction to something that was originally brought uyp by A and B council but cant find out what was said.Never had a problem on Mull,in fact,the local officers come to recognise you on their travels and give you a wave.Great place.

A & B, Argyle and Bute?

Anyways, many thanks for link and other information and, have to agree with you, Mulls a fine place to visit!!

Cheers......

Mullsy
29-01-2014, 17:45
A & B, Argyle and Bute?

Anyways, many thanks for link and other information and, have to agree with you, Mulls a fine place to visit!!

Cheers......

Sorry for the late reply,but yes its Argyle and Bute.Would love to know what the initial query was but looks if it came to nought.Mind you when you read things like this,,,,
http://forargyll.com/2012/07/shores-of-loch-long-a-filthy-mess-with-wild-camping-no-action-from-council-or-national-park/

runnach
29-01-2014, 18:06
Your link makes very unfortunate reading and, I myself, have witnessed what is outlined in article.

Unfortunately, a lot of his mess is left by fisher folks, who have no respect for our environment. I have also witnessed the party/rave mentality, too.

I do know he answer, but can't say here. On a good note, though, many of the park rangers can suss out the idiots from decent WC-ers, who are well kitted out, bring their own firewood and, fire of the ground, point is though, we are few!!

Cheers for reply with further info..............

caledonia
29-01-2014, 21:04
It seems the Loch Lubnaig weekend scumbags have found a new Loch to pollute with thier rubbish. Imposing restrictions on Lomond and lubnaig only moves the problem to another braw location. One of my local wilding spots was suffering a very similar problem and as usual the police were pretty crap at responding to complaints. So now when you park up of the road next to the stream the farmer will pull up on his quad bike take out his phone and take a few snaps of vehicle reg and location, then have a quiet word. This is normally enough to scare the undesirables off.

runnach
29-01-2014, 22:07
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park is under siege, this is old data, scroll down to section 9 - area issues.

http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/images/stories/Looking%20After/PDF/5%20Lochs/5LochsPlan_2012_web.pdf

jezport
29-01-2014, 22:20
You could buy an extra cassette. We have 2 and find it a great help when the red light comes on at midnight.

campervanannie
30-01-2014, 02:33
Go to the website iwoot.com and purchase a portable toilet its made of cardboard comes flatpack in its own bag but when erected is very sturdy it comes with human sized doggy type poo bags you him indoors trots off into the wild erects it puts the poo bag in place has his wild crap lifts out the bag ties it up and if there are dog waste bins where we are camping he pops it in there folds up his toilet and back to the van if no dog bins we take with us a nappy bin that the grand kids had when they were babies they are sealed and have a air freshener attachment and take up very little room for peepers he pees up a tree OK for environment as some people drink their own hope this helps happy crapping PS he does take a blanket with him to keep warm while trollies are round ankles and in case anyone is about dog walking etc

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS