PDA

View Full Version : South of France

EMPTAGE123
11-01-2014, 00:41
Hi, we have toured parts of Eastern France the past couple of years, this year we fancy the South of France, starting at Gravelines, we hope to get down to the South in about 3 days, any suggestions for a route down, hopefully not to near to Paris, we got lost once and ended up on the Périphérique, I still hav'nt recovered. Would also be grateful for any suggestions as to where to stay once we arrive, we love the beach and lakes, we will have about 3 weeks to tour around, many thanks.

Dezi
11-01-2014, 07:53
Hi, Look up Bison fute routes. " The route of the crafty Bison" these are scenic roads far from the madding crowd.

Maintenant (http://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/maintenant.html)

Dezi.

Luckheart
11-01-2014, 08:36
Came back from Cannes vIa the Route Napoleon and it was great. Left it at the start/end in Grenoble and picked our way to Calais. Went through some diverse countryside and Grenoble is worth a day. Wish I were fit enough to do it again.

Route Napoleon Map, by Provence Beyond (http://www.beyond.fr/map/mpnapol.html)

Frances
11-01-2014, 09:20
The roads to the south are quieter if you go round Paris to the west as you look at it on a map.

lebesset
11-01-2014, 10:40
hope you are not thinking of going in the next 3 months !

witzend
11-01-2014, 12:19
For St Tropez we stayed at the Prairies de la Mer a ACSI site at Port Grimaud 18 euro with showers elac etc n43.16.52 e6.34.57 the aire near by was 15euro the bus into St Tropez was 1.5 euro further along the coast we stayed at a municipal site at Loupian for 12 Euro which was also ACSI . But not much open down there until April

channa
11-01-2014, 17:08
Campsites are very expensive,in the cote d azur as are some of the aires compared to the rest of the country. The south west is marginally cheaper. Wild spots are also harder to find.
If you are visiting after April it may well be worth considering the France Passion scheme.
Channa

barryd
11-01-2014, 17:23
Depends what you mean by "The South of France". Most people seem to think of the coast but for me the best parts of France are the south of France but inland from the coast. I have done most of the French Med coast and I cannot say I was that impressed by any of it. Certainly in the east from St Tropez and beyond its not very motorhome friendly although the Kebab shop just off the main square in St Tropez is arguably the best one in Europe and the only thing you will find in St Tropez for under a tenner.

If you cut a line east to West from the Verdon Gorges and Lac St Croix in the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence all the way through Provence, a little hop up to the Ardeche then through Lozere, Aveyron and tarn before heading up to the Lot and Dordogne I think your seeing the most beautiful and interesting part of "the South of France". Three weeks isnt enough to do it all but if you can get a shift on I would propose this.

Verdon Gorges and Lac St Croix. By a country mile the gorges are the best in France and the lake is stunning.
If you must do the coast maybe a day or two in St Tropez
Possibly north west up to the Ardeche, Vallon Point de Arc and head west from there. Loads of great Aires and pretty villages.
Over the mountains (massif Central) through the Tarn Gorges and maybe Lake Pareloupe or further south to Lac du Laouzes which is a real favourite of mine. The aire is right on the lake side with little bays. Best time to go September if you get the weather right as its 2800 ft. Same for pareloupe.

Rocamadour in the Lot on the way home and maybe the Dordogne but you could spend three weeks just in those two.

Too much really but all of it fantastic.

Seannachie
11-01-2014, 17:52
I agree with Luckheart and barryd - the Alpes de Haute Provence/Alpes Maritimes and the Route de Napoleon from Cannes to Grenoble is a fabulous area and will take you more than 3 weeks to do it justice. The coast, specifically the Cote de l'Esterel and the Cote d'Azur however, have largely become no-go areas for wild-camping and last May we found that most of the places we used to overnight are now prohibited to campingcars on pain of being towed away and/or fined.

lebesset
11-01-2014, 19:46
The roads to the south are quieter if you go round Paris to the west as you look at it on a map.

where is the west if you DON'T look it on a map ?

Siimplyloco
11-01-2014, 20:45
Our route to the SW from Le Havre is N154 Chartres, Dreux, Orleans, D75 over the Millau bridge.
John

Dezi
12-01-2014, 07:28
Sorry I should have added this link to my post yesterday.

Plenty of places to stay in the south of France here.

Scroll down & open aires 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 to check out pics and locations.

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-motorhome-chat/33181-aires-shoestring-8-a.html

Bon voyage.

Dezi :cheers:

lebesset
12-01-2014, 13:06
Our route to the SW from Le Havre is N154 Chartres, Dreux, Orleans, D75 over the Millau bridge.
John

D75 ?
try A75

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS