PDA

View Full Version : Aires and graces

Gee
15-01-2014, 19:53
Hello all,
Booked the ferry for me and my two kids from Portsmouth to Cherbourg at the end of June (start of the school holidays in Scotland) for 2 weeks. Staying for 1 week in a bells n whistles campsite down the west coast at Brem sur Mer near Les Sables-d'Olonne. The other week will be touring and using Aires etc. This is my first foray across the channel in Stormin Norman. Really looking forward to it.
A couple of question about the Aires. Do any have showers or would we be able to use nearby sports centres for a small fee as I've always done over here. I'm hoping to have a rudimentary solar shower rigged up across the open back doors (with a shower curtain and a big flexitub) though my 17 year old daughter my not be so keen on this set up. Also do Aires have public toilets or similar.
Can anyone recommend any particular Aires/stopovers with nearby sightseeing or attractions on the route down. Now to work on my French. Thanks

Airecraft
15-01-2014, 20:06
Hello all,
Booked the ferry for me and my two kids from Portsmouth to Cherbourg at the end of June (start of the school holidays in Scotland) for 2 weeks. Staying for 1 week in a bells n whistles campsite down the west coast at Brem sur Mer near Les Sables-d'Olonne. The other week will be touring and using Aires etc. This is my first foray across the channel in Stormin Norman. Really looking forward to it.
A couple of question about the Aires. Do any have showers or would we be able to use nearby sports centres for a small fee as I've always done over here. I'm hoping to have a rudimentary solar shower rigged up across the open back doors (with a shower curtain and a big flexitub) though my 17 year old daughter my not be so keen on this set up. Also do Aires have public toilets or similar.
Can anyone recommend any particular Aires/stopovers with nearby sightseeing or attractions on the route down. Now to work on my French. Thanks

Hi
The only aire I know with showers is at Ouzere sur Trezee (https://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=Briare,+France&hl=en&ll=47.670073,2.809383&spn=0.002724,0.005681&sll=53.369764,-3.18128&sspn=0.038613,0.090895&oq=briare&t=h&hnear=Briare,+Loiret,+Centre,+France&z=18) which is not really convenient for Sable to Cherbourg.
Many have toilets, try Lire (https://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=Lir%C3%A9,+France&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=47.341331,-1.167464&spn=0.002741,0.005681&sll=47.669289,2.800055&sspn=0.02179,0.045447&oq=Lire&t=h&hnear=Lir%C3%A9,+Maine-et-Loire,+Pays+de+la+Loire,+France&z=18)near Ancenis on the Loire which also has free 'leccy.
If you fancy Brittany you could try Arzal (https://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=Lir%C3%A9,+France&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=47.496114,-2.384355&spn=0.002733,0.005681&sll=47.669289,2.800055&sspn=0.02179,0.045447&oq=Lire&t=h&hnear=Lir%C3%A9,+Maine-et-Loire,+Pays+de+la+Loire,+France&z=18)at the River Vilain barrage with boat trips, kayaking and nice riverside walk to La Roche Bernard: if you PM me near the time I can send you the code for the marina carpark and showers .

Lazlo
15-01-2014, 20:09
Hi gee,try putting your solar shower on the dashboard in the sun on a good day it gives 20lts of hot water but be careful it can scald!

witzend
15-01-2014, 20:33
Gee look at the attached link to French Municipal Camp sites may be more what your looking for aires in June are likely to be busy with vans parked fairly close to each other I don't know how your shower would be received by neighbors.

http://www.camping-municipal.org/

wints
16-01-2014, 08:30
I've used our solar shower at the back of the van many times, also seen the germans using theirs in the nude!!

Lots of the popular beaches have showers, just take some soap / shampoo, and leave it till late when the day trippers have gone home.

regards
Allen

rugbyken
16-01-2014, 10:47
Necessity the mother of invention

On the subject of solar showers saw a Dutch guy on an aire combining the blackbag solar heater with a garden spray 3 of them got a shower each out of a 10ltr bag with plenty of water left, the veh was a panel van they had curtains across the back doors and stood in an under bed storage box while someone else hosed them down,

steco1958
16-01-2014, 12:06
Gee,

Do you have a Sat Nav (Garmin) by chance, if so give me your email address I will send over some POI's for you, Archies, Municiples, and Aires.

Steve

grahamb
16-01-2014, 13:08
if you have an android smart phone or tablet go on the play store and download the Aires app it works offline so don't need internet connection and over 3000 Aires listed with all fecillities listed

Tbear
16-01-2014, 13:31
For the out-the-back shower, you cannot beat a watering can and a friend (perhaps not for your 17yrs old daughter) and its great for getting water on an Aire without having to loose your spot. The solar are great for heating water on a sunny day but performance is poor. I find the electric ones a bit of a faff about and ours failed after a couple of uses. water got into the motor and rusted it. More fun to shower with a "friend".

Richard

Gee
16-01-2014, 19:06
Gee,

Do you have a Sat Nav (Garmin) by chance, if so give me your email address I will send over some POI's for you, Archies, Municiples, and Aires.

Steve

Steve, Thanks for the offer. I have a UK tomtom so hoping I'll be able to get a french or western europe mapping from tomtom or somewhere else hopefully cheaper.

hughb
16-01-2014, 20:15
Hello all,

Not only are there the Aires but for the last couple of years we have used the France Passion free sites. They always seem to be better sites in amazing positions. Many of the Aires are merely Car Parks whereas with France Passion sites are on farms, vineyards, etc. Many let you use their facilities and the owners are always so friendly. We have been offered food, wine and such fantastic friendliness. Try them and you will not go back to Aires. Still have not worked out what the owner gets out of it although sometimes we have bought some superb food and drink.

Whatever you decide, just enjoy France.

steco1958
16-01-2014, 20:23
Steve, Thanks for the offer. I have a UK tomtom so hoping I'll be able to get a french or western europe mapping from tomtom or somewhere else hopefully cheaper.

Have a look here ARCHIESCAMPINGS (http://archiescampings.eu/)

daveveal
20-01-2014, 10:22
Hello all,

I would have recommended you stay at a campsite for the first two or three nights to acclimatize yourselves. Then stay on aires popping into a campsite every two or three nights to "freshen up," charge your batteries etc. There is an excellent guide called "All the Aires" obtainable from Vicarious Books.

Aires don't usually have shower facilities and they would take a very dim view of you making your own arrangements! You are not even allowed (officially) to use awnings or picnic tables at them. You could be taking up valuable space others could use.

As aires are usually provided by local communities there will possibly be toilets close by. There are a lot of aires actually sited near sports centres where I imagine you could use the facilities.

You can obtain the France Passion guide from Vicarious Books too, but generally the owners do not provide any facilities at all and you must be self-sufficient. You have to purchase (and renew, each year) the guide because the permit and sticker for your windscreen come with it.

tradgirl
26-03-2014, 12:04
if you have an android smart phone or tablet go on the play store and download the Aires app it works offline so don't need internet connection and over 3000 Aires listed with all fecillities listed

Hi Graham,

total newbie to this motor home malarkey, do you happen to know the name of the Aires App at all? I've been searching and there seems to be quite a variety.

Any recommendations are gratefully received.

Thanks

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS