PDA

View Full Version : Finding water in France

POI Admin
20-01-2014, 17:42
I have found the ideal solution to filling with water in France.

It seems that all cemeteries have a tap near the main entrance gate - so (discretely) attach a hose and fill up.

How to find a cemetery?

IGN (the French equivalent of Ordnance Survey) do very detailed mapping of the whole country. The largest scale is 1:25000, the same as the OS large scale maps, and at this scale cemeteries are clearly marked.

You don't need to buy the maps. You can access all the IGN maps, plus satellite views, at this address:

Le portail des territoires et des citoyens - Géoportail (http://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/accueil)

suej
20-01-2014, 17:53
It's a commonly known source of water here too. Just doesn't seem right to me though..hey but that doesn't mean that it's wrong. Each to their own!

Sue :)

Sky
20-01-2014, 18:19
You can get water just about anywhere in France; garages, car parks, toilet blocks, town halls etc. :blah::rabbit:

QFour
20-01-2014, 18:24
Try the South West :lol-061: They appear to have more than they need with more expected ..

POI Admin
20-01-2014, 18:27
You can get water just about anywhere in France; garages, car parks, toilet blocks, town halls etc. :blah::rabbit:

I have yet to find a garage with a tap ...

madria
20-01-2014, 19:24
I've never had a problem getting water in France and have used churches (some aries parking are next to them), as well a cemetery once but if your really struggling go to one of the super mache's there's always cheap drinking water on offer - This also might help a few who have to travel a fair distance to get to the ferries at Dover - On the port at Dover (that's after you've been through the check-in) theirs a drinking water tap on the right hand side of the terminal building, its outside as you walk towards the toilets. I've driven down and arrived with 60% then topped up before boarding - it is a carry job as you cannot drive up to it - but you can arrive off the ferry with a full tank - Happy Travels for 2014 to everyone

witzend
20-01-2014, 19:47
I have found the ideal solution to filling with water in France.

It seems that all cemeteries have a tap near the main entrance gate - so (discretely) attach a hose and fill up.

I'd not agree that its the ideal solution probably the last thing anyone recently bereaved would want to see is a motor home filling with water across the entrance to the cemetery. A aires book lists plenty of aires with free water supply and some time during your travels your bound to pass them I never pass a aire with free water without topping up

iampatman
20-01-2014, 20:58
I'd not agree that its the ideal solution probably the last thing anyone recently bereaved would want to see is a motor home filling with water across the entrance to the cemetery. A aires book lists plenty of aires with free water supply and some time during your travels your bound to pass them I never pass a aire with free water without topping up

I agree with your comments about filling up outside cemeteries but whilst the aires books all list sites with water available I think you'll find that many of them, if not the majority, turn the water off in the winter to avoid pipes freezing.

barryd
20-01-2014, 22:39
I agree with your comments about filling up outside cemeteries but whilst the aires books all list sites with water available I think you'll find that many of them, if not the majority, turn the water off in the winter to avoid pipes freezing.

Do cemeteries not turn their water off in winter then? Cant see what the difference would be. If the taps are outside which is what we are talking about. I bet they turn them off as well.

I have used them once or twice when out on the bike as we carry a collapsable water carrier that goes in the top box. Useful when wilding and it seems to please Mrs D so I just go along with it.

I also think though that parking a bloody great motorhome outside the gates and running a hose is not really on. Especially as a guest in a country that has already provided 6000 Aires, most of which are free.

pughed2
24-01-2014, 12:28
if you should be getting desperate you will be happy for water wherever......why not connect up to cemetery at night? then you wont interfere with visitors. most villages in france have the central 24hr fountain all fresh unless marked `non potable` and most routes through the pyrenees and to northern spain, and possibly alps have roadside spring filling points (can possibly needed) ............thats to say nothing of the purpose built often free motorhome self service points (waste and fresh water) continuing to spring up in many places in france.......... steve bristol

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS