PDA

View Full Version : Loch Lubnaig.

stevek
20-04-2008, 17:43
Travelling north from Callendar.About 1 mile past the sign for Strathyre forest cabins are two off road loch side parking areas where the tradition of free camping seems to be being maintained.

champstar
04-03-2009, 18:54
Have used these two places a few times...they get very busy at weekends with fishermen and sometimes groups of locals out for a beach party....if it looks busy (with tents etc) move on for peace and quiet.
The second parking area from the Callender side has a lovely beach side location.
Best to use midweek or out of camping season.

champstar
01-04-2009, 20:41
Used the second beach front parking area of Loch Lubnaig last night..shared the spot with one other van...lovely blissfully peaceful....
But must warn that this is best used Sunday to Thursday as I stopped there on Saturday for lunch and there were some tenters and fishermen there...also a bit messy further up where someone had abandoned a tents and sleeping bags/duvets!!!

mark7
07-04-2009, 19:41
We are here now, lovely spot to stay, road a bit nosiey but absolutly great spot. The weather is fine Scotish weather rain and more rain but even that looks great coming over the hills and loch....

888dee
14-06-2009, 17:36
This was a top suggestion, well almost, was in Coatbridge yesterday and heading for stirling today but couldn't find anywhere suitable, mobile internet to the rescue!

picked this up and headed in that direction but stumbled across a vaguely familiar road, the A821 heading west from Kilmahog, couple of miles up there are 2 carparks over looking Loch Venachar, 2nd is the larger of the 2 and had 1 other van there already, 4-5 tenters also. Magic!

mark7
15-06-2009, 18:59
thats brill, next time im up that way will look it up, sounds great, bless the tonggle thinky haha

Richardn
27-12-2009, 09:45
This location should be in the Perthshire Forum

bevdrew
27-12-2009, 10:56
According to my research, its in the right place as Loch Lubnaig is within the Stirling Council boundary.

derekfaeberwick
27-12-2009, 15:08
According to my research, its in the right place as Loch Lubnaig is within the Stirling Council boundary.

Correct. It is a lovely spot nonetheless.

John H
27-12-2009, 20:27
It was in Stirlingshire when we stopped there in August - have they moved it?

Richardn
28-12-2009, 17:55

Doesn't mean it's in Stirlingshire

Callander is PERTHSHIRE but in Stirling Council area (I live there)

bevdrew
29-12-2009, 12:32
Callander WAS in Perthshire but its now in Stirlingshire, see here:
Scottish Towns - Callander, Stirlingshire, Scotland (http://www.scottish-towns.co.uk/stirlingshire/callander/index.html)
and here
Towns of Stirlingshire, Scotland (http://www.scottish-towns.co.uk/stirlingshire/index.html)
and, as you will see is NOT in this map of Perthshire:
VisitScotland Perthshire (http://www.perthshire.co.uk/travelmap.htm)

Richardn
30-12-2009, 17:53
Callander WAS in Perthshire but its now in Stirlingshire, see here:
Scottish Towns - Callander, Stirlingshire, Scotland (http://www.scottish-towns.co.uk/stirlingshire/callander/index.html)
and here
Towns of Stirlingshire, Scotland (http://www.scottish-towns.co.uk/stirlingshire/index.html)
and, as you will see is NOT in this map of Perthshire:
VisitScotland Perthshire (http://www.perthshire.co.uk/travelmap.htm)

Brilliant, just proves anyone can make a website!
The area shown is Stirling council area, not Stirlingshire which ceased to exist in 1975, when Central Region (inspired name!) was formed. The postal system still uses the old counties. Scotland has been messed about with so often that current "administrative areas" are ignored by the post offce and they use the old county system. The boundary of "stirlingshire" was the river forth, south of that is Stirlingshire, North is Perthshire.

The current council areas are "Stirling Council" and "Perth & Kinross Council" to the north

champstar
17-01-2010, 13:50
Does it really matter as Callendar and Loch lubnaig as very easily accessible from Stirling...after all we post here to let other know where is good to camp.

runnach
09-01-2013, 20:50
Couple we spent NY with were telling us furthest parking area from Calendar will have height barriers installed soon. This is due to the hoards of boozers come fisher folk who flood this once good overnight spot, remnants of toilet paper and poo are very evident, no doubt first parking area, with slope down to loch will suffer same fate in due course!!

christine
09-01-2013, 21:17
Grrrrr.....

Wooie1958
10-01-2013, 06:50
The last time we was in Callander ( 3 years back ) it was not a very good experience.

We had intended on wilding but when we saw the people hanging about in the area we`d chose and all the empty spirits bottle
and beer cans we decided to stay on " The Gart Caravan Site " instead.

The following morning we went back into the town for a few supplies and i ended up staying with the van due to the gang of lads
hanging about on the car park. The wife went to the shop but within a minute or so the wife was back and quite upset having
been approached twice in a very short distance asking for money.

I asked her if she wanted me to go to the shop but she didn`t want leaving alone with the van.

We decided to leave and call in at a Lay-by we knew towards the end of Loch Lubnaig and not far from the Falls of Leny.

It`s the one that drops down to the Loch , a lot of Canoeists use it because of the very good access for vehicles and trailers
right down to the shore.

The Lay-by was full of what can only be described as " New Age / Traveller " type people, completely set up with tents, vans,
one even had a ex-removals lorry, wind turbines, solar panels, washing lines camp fires etc.etc. and the biggest " Sh*t Hole "
i have ever seen in my life. They were definitely NOT Gypo`s the look of them said it all.

We was both very disappointed because we`d stayed over in Callander several times and had really enjoyed it especially the
" Second Hand Book Shop " in the centre on the main road and itself an experience !

Alibalibeee
10-01-2013, 07:10
Loch Lubnaig hasn't been the same since they stopped the wild camping at Loch Lomond. It gets overrun by everyone that used to go there. It's a shame. Was always a great place to go for a picnic and a paddle in the water.

Wooie1958
10-01-2013, 07:25
Loch Lubnaig hasn't been the same since they stopped the wild camping at Loch Lomond. It gets overrun by everyone that used to go there. It's a shame. Was always a great place to go for a picnic and a paddle in the water.

We was both very very disappointed because we`d stayed in Callander and called in at Loch Lubnaig on numerous occasions and thoroughly
enjoyed our visits to the area.

The Lay-by was quite a shock when we got there because we always used to " Time " our brew so we had one there and the Quick Brew
always turned into a couple of hours.

The changes at Loch Lomund are probably the reason for what we experienced because it`s actually not that far away.

We would like to go back so if anyone has any " Up To Date " experience of the area it would be nice if they could put it on here.

champstar
10-01-2013, 09:39
Its a shame about the height barriers if true but not a surprise as living quite close to this spot it has been a favourite for years but not at weekends and in the summer months as the undesirables turn up.

One thing how will height barriers stop the mess and campers they will only stop the motorhomes??????

Ste
10-01-2013, 09:52
Can't say I'm surpised.
I passed by in August last year and both those car parks were nose to tail with tuggers. All properly set up with full awnings and clothes lines, right along the shore, and clearly had been there a while. There was rubbish everywhere, and access to the loch was almost blocked off.

I went to Duke's Pass instead.

hillwalker
10-01-2013, 21:07
I just would'nt camp on Loch Lubnaig anymore ,, the neds have ruined it ,, it's a no go area for me ... :sad:sad but very true :blah::blah:

sagart
11-01-2013, 08:15
You can still stay at Rowardennan at this time of year (October-March) though the Forestry site at Sallachy has a "No campervans" notice...if my son is around the area he will ignore you but the part-time "wardens" are more officious "We have police powers by bye-law" is their mantra (Martin is not impressed)

REDSTONE
11-01-2013, 12:41
that thread started out as a promising new place for us to go and turned into a disaster area.

Thanks for the warning guys, i'm looking for good places to go as we're new to the m/h scene.

runnach
11-01-2013, 17:21
Problem is, many of the Buckfast brigade are branching out, you now see many around Aberfeldy area, same criteria, booze, hiss & chit all over the place, cutting off, green wood for fire ect.

Too be honest though, I have found the park wardens pretty fair, some even bending the rules a tad, as they are well aware of Motor Homers caring for environ, and at the end of the day, they have a job to do and, if this means moving, in one case, me on, I thank them and move.....

It's others killing it for us decent WC's!!

REDSTONE
21-01-2013, 12:38
Any other recomendations then ? peaceful spots etc.

scottkostric
14-05-2013, 02:54
Loch lomond and the trossachs national park are working on the site just now building toilets and shops, i believe the site will still have informal camping and parking for motorhomes so it should still be free, perhaps discouraging people from long stays and parties.

5 Lochs Blog | News and updates of improvements in the 5 Lochs area of Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park (http://5lochsblog.com/)

My mistake there will be some sort of charge

drew857
14-05-2013, 08:31
Both wild camping sites out of commission at present as they are being tidied up and possibly new hard standing etc. Fearful that they will both be signed 'No Overnighting' due to the mess left over the years. Sad but that is the way it goes when Benefits bandits spend their time camping & drinking out of control between payouts.

DUGGIESMURF
20-05-2013, 19:02
we traveld from glasgow sunday 19/5/2013 thinking that we would get lubnaig,,weekend warriers gone ,,,NOT ,but shocked to find it a building site ,,,,so NO MORE ,
we went on to loch earnhead to one of the many lat-buys--and found them full,3 vans then next lay buy 4 vans ,,then the big laybay,,,4 of our traveling comunity,,,pitch spoilt !!! ,,ended up on a site outside comrie WEST LODGE ,,,great showers ..and we met up with 3 other motorhomes who were using this site because the good spots have gone ???

never mind home now 4 days were great ,,back to saving for fuel for next time

crystalsdragon
25-07-2014, 19:03
It might seem daft as I live in the stirling area but not a native to the area lol (an islander) but now we have got our new baby and love the area round these lochs just wondering if anyone can update on places round either loch?? prefer wild.
I have few days off and hubby working so needs to commute and leave me there as I cant drive her due to no power steering (yes a woos!!)

champstar
31-07-2014, 17:24
Lubnaig now has barriers that get closed at night and might just be open for the two motorhome pitches. Your best bet would be Venechar but not sure if they have installed parking meters and that is where a lot of the lubnaigers have decanted to. The best place..now is up Dukes pass but midge heaven or hell at the moment.

mitch7880
26-10-2014, 18:03
this site is now a visitor center and has gates on it that get locked at night was past there last week keep going towards strathyere just before the village there is a car park whithin walking distance of the village

runnach
26-10-2014, 18:17
I though re-jigging Lubnaig was aboutt setting up an aire type setting, albeit for a handful of vans?

I also don't undertsand the setting up of a visitor centre, whats to find out here that one can't find out at the STB office in Callendar?

Only a matter of time before WC within park is barred to all of us National Park sets out proposals to transform busiest lochshores - Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park (http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/looking-after/national-park-sets-out-proposals-to-transform-busiest-lochshores/menu-id-483.html)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS