PDA

View Full Version : Allonby bay - beware!

Solwaybuggier
28-01-2014, 08:50
Just a word of warning - various of the parking spots on the Maryport-Allonby road (on the shore side) have gone in recent storms. Not a problem if arriving in the daylight, but could prove a problem if arriving in the dark!

POI Admin
29-01-2014, 17:17
Could you advise which ones please so I can remove them from the POIs if affected?

Solwaybuggier
30-01-2014, 10:08
Hi

No idea which are on POIs (not a full member) and don't know GPS settings, but from the Maryport direction:

1. First spot beyond the golf course still has access from road but looks to have lost most of the parking space.
2. Second spot, opposite Crosscanonby road end and previously much used for wilding has gone altogether - no access.
3. Parking space beyond the Saltpans (don't think much used for wilding) - most of parking gone, and would be a very difficult/Dangerous spot to reverse back out onto road.

Spots closer to/in Allonby not affected but all have no overnighting signs.

Don't know if you can make sense of it from this!

POI Admin
30-01-2014, 11:54
Hi

No idea which are on POIs (not a full member) and don't know GPS settings, but from the Maryport direction:

1. First spot beyond the golf course still has access from road but looks to have lost most of the parking space.
2. Second spot, opposite Crosscanonby road end and previously much used for wilding has gone altogether - no access.
3. Parking space beyond the Saltpans (don't think much used for wilding) - most of parking gone, and would be a very difficult/Dangerous spot to reverse back out onto road.

Spots closer to/in Allonby not affected but all have no overnighting signs.

Don't know if you can make sense of it from this!

Thanks for the extra info - all were on the POIs but have been removed. I stayed at the third spot last year - nice place. What a shame ...

Camper Bob
04-05-2014, 20:55
I used one of these last night , about 1.2 miles south of Allonby ............. http://goo.gl/maps/YvgNa ,

it was OK but had been badly damaged by storms/high tides. I would have had trouble finding the entrance in the dark and the edge was covered with flotsam . Big enough though and two more vans turned up this morning.

I dunno if it always has but there is a large No Overnighting notice on the car park up by the Caravan Park.

POI Admin
04-05-2014, 23:50
I used one of these last night , about 1.2 miles south of Allonby ............. http://goo.gl/maps/YvgNa ,

it was OK but had been badly damaged by storms/high tides. I would have had trouble finding the entrance in the dark and the edge was covered with flotsam . Big enough though and two more vans turned up this morning.

Thanks for the update - I've reinstated this in the POIs :D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS