PDA

View Full Version : Glencoe

stevek
20-04-2008, 18:08
Travelling west through the Glen on the A82 just past the turn off to the Clachaig there is a parking area for what was the site of the old tourist centre.It is all hardstading parking and does not display" No overnighting" as yet

hillwalker
20-04-2008, 20:02
Travelling west through the Glen on the A82 just past the turn off to the Clachaig there is a parking area for what was the site of the old tourist centre.It is all hardstading parking and does not display" No overnighting" as yet
ur rite mate,nobody will bother u there,just dont make it obvioos ur staying there with the likes off gennies and washin lines and stuff..

sagart
29-05-2008, 00:31
Still in Oregon, but keeping in touch!!!!
One of my sidelines involves me in contact with Glencoe locals and the tourist industry and there seems to be a split over the use of this site.
Many locals detest the control the NT for Scotland has and the way in which they got through planning permission for the new centre as well as their (apparently) God-given right to control the area of the Glen.
This group are very happy with the use of the old site by motorhomes - with the usual attitude to rubbish & behaviour ("none" and "good").
NTS people are less happy as they see a lack of revenue to their own site and are, at least in the case of one I know well, very bitter at what they see as actions which defy their own dominance... a precedent being set.
Seems to be, "Enjoy while we can" it may well not last.!

champstar
01-04-2009, 20:51
This area is now signposted Signal Rock Parking Area....All hard standing and nicely spaced out...Stayed here Sunday with no problems...nice little walk up to the Clachaig for a couple of jars!!
There are signs prohibiting camping on the fields but this refers to tent campers...no signs saying no overnight parking.

As a note of interest there are clean public loos with recycling and litter bins in Glencoe village or the CC&C club site has a motorhome stop off facillity when open..(this week I think until Nov)

johnandlou118
07-05-2009, 21:31
Keep driving past the pub past the campsite on the left about a mile further on there is an area off the road to the right looks like the entrance to forestry commision land with a couple of bays for parking without causing anyone any upset. shared the spot with another motorhome last friday night while on route to Morar.
Silent just the owls and a lovely view in the morning of the forest.

Didnt have much luck at Morar or Mallaig though!

John

stevek
24-04-2010, 09:28
Passed this way on Friday this spot is now displaying No Overnighting signs. they are local signs and not the big yellow highway signs

maingate
24-04-2010, 12:18
We were in Mallaig a few weeks ago. No overnighting signs everywhere including the big car park on the left as you enter Mallaig.

My advice would be to ignore them from about October until Easter. We did.;) The locals encouraged us to use them and there were vehicles including a caravan in the big Mallaig car park which had obviously been there a long time. One of them was also an old VW camper.

In the busier times, you may be moved on. Again, it boils down to the fact that nobody minds a m/home but do not want to see a dozen taking up all the space.

Canalsman
24-04-2010, 12:32
Passed this way on Friday this spot is now displaying No Overnighting signs. they are local signs and not the big yellow highway signs

I have added a note to the Wild Camping Map & POI data to this effect - thanks.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS